• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reduced power with no Fault code

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
Has anyone figured out what is causing this? I have had my 23 Lightning ER for just over a year and experienced this issue for the first time yesterday. While stopped at a red light I turned the truck off, restarted it, and once I put it in drive it dropped from 100% power, to 66%, then 56%.

What drive mode were you in?
Sponsored

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
Ok was only asking bc I had a theory this was occurring bc I was opting to begin in Sport mode.
I have no idea. Am currently corresponding with Fords social media team here to see WTH they think is going on.
I love this truck- i want to continue to love this truck, but he nightmare scenario is being somewhere with the family and both engines decide they dont want to work, or have a full load in the truck and one engine kicks off and suddenly the solo engine can't handle it.
Anyway, I'll update you to let you know what, if anything, they find out

bclightning

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma 4X4, Explorer Sport
Thanks! I love my truck as well, but share similar fears. Hope they get back to you soon.

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I had it happen a few times a while ago. Cleared itself ok and truck has been fine for another 7-8k-ish miles since and hasn't happened again. As far as I can tell, nothing to worry about. I know; famous last words, but it does seem to just be an oddity.

Sponsored

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Sadly, not just an oddity. I've had my power fluctuating all over the place since I had a battery module in my 10,000 mile 2022 Lariat ER replaced 6 weeks ago. It has dropped as low as 19% when I was trying to pass another vehicle. Not good.

Available power will be 100% immediately after charging and, often, initially after starting. However, within 5 to 10 miles it will usually drop, then start wandering all of the dial. I've taken it back to the dealer but they guessed it was related to the battery relearning it parameters (The truck will only charge up to ~76%). I'm driving it carefully to give the battery a chance to "relearn its parameters", but I'm not convinced and definitely not happy.

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Sadly, not just an oddity. I've had my power fluctuating all over the place since I had a battery module in my 10,000 mile 2022 Lariat ER replaced 6 weeks ago. It has dropped as low as 19% when I was trying to pass another vehicle. Not good.

Available power will be 100% immediately after charging and, often, initially after starting. However, within 5 to 10 miles it will usually drop, then start wandering all of the dial. I've taken it back to the dealer but they guessed it was related to the battery relearning it parameters (The truck will only charge up to ~76%). I'm driving it carefully to give the battery a chance to "relearn its parameters", but I'm not convinced and definitely not happy.
Ouch sorry to hear that. Yours sounds like a very different issue than what I've seen and the folks I was replying to. Mine was immediately dropping to a consistent 56% power upon shifting out of park after a longish L1/2 charge in the garage. The front motor was not reporting power or regen on the gauge cluster. Letting it sit for about 20 min when I reached my destination resolved the issue each time. I haven't had any battery modules replaced.

I'm far underqualified to diagnose your issue, but that doesn't sound like "relearning parameters" or the front motor just being "off" for a bit. That sounds more like battery pack / BMS shenanigans and certainly a bit more serious.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Yes, I should have added that the traction display is showing both motors working properly (even at 19%) and I have checked coolant levels. All modules have been updated via FDRS as of last weekend.

I do believe the power limit is related to the battery module replacement as I ran an FDRS battery health check and it showed all the cells in module 5 much lower than the other cells\modules. Even with both the performance limit and the battery charging issues there are no errors displayed on the screens or fault codes stored in FDRS. That's why I was hoping this thread might have some answers. I'll give it a month of hard (but careful) driving then start a case with the BEV team.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I do believe the power limit is related to the battery module replacement as I ran an FDRS battery health check and it showed all the cells in module 5 much lower than the other cells\modules. Even with both the performance limit and the battery charging issues there are no errors displayed on the screens or fault codes stored in FDRS. That's why I was hoping this thread might have some answers. I'll give it a month of hard (but careful) driving then start a case with the BEV team
Those numbers indicate they may have complete skipped / or didn't do the balancing correctly on the replacement pack to the mean of the rest of the modules in the pack! I hope it catches up over the next 21 days!!!!

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I should have added that the traction display is showing both motors working properly (even at 19%) and I have checked coolant levels. All modules have been updated via FDRS as of last weekend.

I do believe the power limit is related to the battery module replacement as I ran an FDRS battery health check and it showed all the cells in module 5 much lower than the other cells\modules. Even with both the performance limit and the battery charging issues there are no errors displayed on the screens or fault codes stored in FDRS. That's why I was hoping this thread might have some answers. I'll give it a month of hard (but careful) driving then start a case with the BEV team.
Your voltage differential is large enough that it is unlikely to resolve itself on its own. The dealer needs to balance the array correctly and that will resolve the issues you are seeing
Sponsored