• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Standard Range Battery vs Extended Range Battery

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
300 miles is minimum. Plan for 50% usable range, during winter, even without towing.
I think the winter hit will be much less fun that this truck. Almost minimal if you utilize the seat heaters rather than cabin heat. Even in my golf the heater/winter hit is around 25%. Given the miles per kWh on the F 150, having a 6-8kW heater running will use up less range. If this truck gets 2.5 mpkWh then you’d lose less than 10 miles of range per hour the heater is on. Depending on the thermal management the cells will hold less energy than in optimal temps. No way this thing only goes 50% epa in the winter.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bfjeld

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram 1500 Sport , 2014 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Power Engineer
Another thing to consider is the deterioration of range over time. I have a 2011 Chevy Volt, which had a range of 35 miles (before the gas engine kicks in) when it was new. After almost 11 years, that's down to closer to 25 miles -- a 28% loss. Maybe Li-ion battery tech improvements in the past decade will make a dent in that, but just something to be aware of. If you plan to keep your electric vehicle going for 20 years, a (very expensive) battery replacement is likely in the cards.
Not sure this will be a long term for me...will lease this as tech improves so fast. Like our $1000 phones we bought 3 years ago that is now worth $20 sitting on a shelf somewhere. Probably bounce around from Ford to Dodge as i'm a Dodge guy at heart. Just sold a Hellcat and am looking forward to their E Muscle car in 2024. Will stay with electric though as i love instant torque and hate gas prices!

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I think battery degradation over time is the biggest reason to go ER over SR. Every case is going to be different, but knowing that your capable of going, for example, 270 miles over 200 miles in 5 years (making up the numbers) is probably worth the ER battery.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I think the winter hit will be much less fun that this truck. Almost minimal if you utilize the seat heaters rather than cabin heat. Even in my golf the heater/winter hit is around 25%. Given the miles per kWh on the F 150, having a 6-8kW heater running will use up less range. If this truck gets 2.5 mpkWh then you’d lose less than 10 miles of range per hour the heater is on. Depending on the thermal management the cells will hold less energy than in optimal temps. No way this thing only goes 50% epa in the winter.
Don't forget the capacity loss after a year or two!

You want to avoid charging to 100% and 90% is more practical, you have to leave 10-15% buffer before you start to find a charging station, winter would reduce battery capacity by 20%, you need to drive on freeway at 75mph so you get another 15% hit.

All these together, plan 150-160 miles with ER during winter is reasonable assumption.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Don't forget the capacity loss after a year or two!

You want to avoid charging to 100% and 90% is more practical, you have to leave 10-15% buffer before you start to find a charging station, winter would reduce battery capacity by 20%, you need to drive on freeway at 75mph so you get another 15% hit.

All these together, plan 150-160 miles with ER during winter is reasonable assumption.
It is doubtful that you would be able to charge to 100% SOC of the actual capacity, and if you could, that is a good reason to avoid that company since their battery engineers suck. The dash may show 100% capacity, but the BMS should have limited the charge to less than 90% of the actual capacity. The same applies to the lower SOC...it should never allow you to get down to the actual 0% SOC.

That said, you STILL don't want to charge 100% of the rated capacity, nor get down below 20% of the rated capacity.

As far as cold temperatures, I'm seeing more OEMs going through a preheat of the pack well before your normal drive time. This will allow the pack to perform as per normal, but you will still lose some range as it uses that pack to warm the pack.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bfjeld

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram 1500 Sport , 2014 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Power Engineer
Would be nice to have some real world winter conditions testing done before A guy plunks down 80k+ Canadian just to be shocked in a bad way in winter 2022. Unfortunately order banks open before testing would be complete.

I’m sure it will be fine. A guy from work drove his 2012 Tesla every winter up here in Alberta without issue. That’ll be 10 year old tech with degradation by the time we get our trucks.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Would be nice to have some real world winter conditions testing done before A guy plunks down 80k+ Canadian just to be shocked in a bad way in winter 2022. Unfortunately order banks open before testing would be complete.

I’m sure it will be fine. A guy from work drove his 2012 Tesla every winter up here in Alberta without issue. That’ll be 10 year old tech with degradation by the time we get our trucks.
Tesla was one of the first OEMs that I documented that would preheat the pack when we soaked it at -30C. Several OEMs do that now. I do not know if SK Innovation will be doing it to the F-150 pack, nor have I found out that LG Chem is doing it for the Mustang Mach E. I will find out about the Mach E in about 2 months ;)

iam7foot1

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach E GT PE & 23 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired Tech
I have a standard range XLT and regret not having the extended range. My truck says 100% and 235 miles of range, but I'm not able to get to my parents' house 120 miles away when driving 80 mph on the highway. If I show down to about 65 mph, I can make it with about 5 miles to spare, but the extended range battery would have solved this issue.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
My truck says 100% and 235 miles of range, but I'm not able to get to my parents' house 120 miles away when driving 80 mph on the highway. If I show down to about 65 mph, I can make it with about 5 miles to spare, but the extended range battery would have solved this issue.
That doesn't sound right. I have an SR and the 235 miles at 100% matches what I see on the GOM, but I do better than that in general, averaging 2.3 mi per KWhr, so I think I would make it even further than 235. Maybe you have some excessive hills or wind to deal with on the way to your parents? Otherwise I'd get it looked at.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
That doesn't sound right. I have an SR and the 235 miles at 100% matches what I see on the GOM, but I do better than that in general, averaging 2.3 mi per KWhr, so I think I would make it even further than 235. Maybe you have some excessive hills or wind to deal with on the way to your parents? Otherwise I'd get it looked at.
You won't get close to that 2.3 at 80 MPH out on the freeway. I get about 1.6, guessing that is closer to what @iam7foot1 is getting too. He lists Tahoe as home, so he may have more elevation changes.

My drive and experience is relatively flat. Maybe an increase in 500' over 120 miles.

Sponsored

iam7foot1

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach E GT PE & 23 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired Tech
The dealership
You won't get close to that 2.3 at 80 MPH out on the freeway. I get about 1.6, guessing that is closer to what @iam7foot1 is getting too. He lists Tahoe as home, so he may have more elevation changes.

My drive and experience is relatively flat. Maybe an increase in 500' over 120 miles.
I also don't have the stock road tires. I've got 17" wheels with 34" All-Terrain Nitto Grapplers with a 2" lift on the front tires. I can't get 120 miles on the highway with a 100% charge. Luckily there are plenty of level 3 charge stations on the way and I just stop and charge for about 10 minutes. Still, I wish I would've gone with the ER.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
The dealership

I also don't have the stock road tires. I've got 17" wheels with 34" All-Terrain Nitto Grapplers with a 2" lift on the front tires. I can't get 120 miles on the highway with a 100% charge. Luckily there are plenty of level 3 charge stations on the way and I just stop and charge for about 10 minutes. Still, I wish I would've gone with the ER.
Sounds like you are averaging about 1.3 MPK on the run, is that an accurate prediction??

Now that weather is getting cooler, try using the departure time to prepare battery for better operating conditions, get the cabin up to temp, and while driving adjust cabin temp to minimum tolerable level and slow down just a hair ~75 ish.

BTW, vehicle profile needs an update
Ford F-150 Lightning Standard Range Battery vs Extended Range Battery 1698708394697

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
I have a standard range XLT and regret not having the extended range. My truck says 100% and 235 miles of range, but I'm not able to get to my parents' house 120 miles away when driving 80 mph on the highway. If I show down to about 65 mph, I can make it with about 5 miles to spare, but the extended range battery would have solved this issue.
I have an ER pro which has allowed me to travel with 35 inch tires and a three inch lift! Wouldn’t have been possible with a SR battery

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Sounds like you are averaging about 1.3 MPK on the run, is that an accurate prediction??

Now that weather is getting cooler, try using the departure time to prepare battery for better operating conditions, get the cabin up to temp, and while driving adjust cabin temp to minimum tolerable level and slow down just a hair ~75 ish.

BTW, vehicle profile needs an update
1698708394697.png
1.3 mi/kWh sounds about right at 80 mph given the circumstances.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt

Elevation Kills consumption: My experience driving from 800' to our place in the mountains at 6,000' over the course of 11 miles of uphill is a consumption rate of up to 70% plus more or less depending on temperature and traffic compared to driving the flat lands. My regen rate downhill is about 15% not using one pedal drive. Just something to consider when deciding on a battery size.
Sponsored