• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Lightning64

Lightning64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
The article is weirdly written. It implies there was a fire because they say they reported a fire in a previous article, but then the link to that article is dead.

And a fire definitely isn't the same as "identified the issue on a Lightning unit during a standard pre-delivery quality inspection."

Personally, I'm waiting to hear some more confirmation before believing the two incidents (fire and battery issue) are the same incident.
The fire has been confirmed by multiple independent sources. Seems like the fire was a pretty good indicator they had a problem during pre delivery inspection. 😂 Starting to have flashbacks to the Boeing Dreamliner battery issues!
Sponsored

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Per Detroit Free Press published today (2/15) at 6:50 PM ET:

Ford Motor Co. stopped production of its 2023 F-150 Lightning pickup truck immediately after a battery fire in a vehicle holding lot on Feb. 4, the Detroit Free Press learned Wednesday.

The initial fire spread to a second vehicle in the lot, which stored vehicles awaiting quality review prior to shipment to dealers, and the Dearborn Fire Department responded.

Emma Bergg, Ford spokeswoman, said in response to a Free Press inquiry, "I can confirm one vehicle fire. Let me reiterate, we have no reason to believe F-150 Lightnings already in customer hands are affected by this issue."

Earlier in the day, the Free Press confirmed that the automaker doesn't plan to restart its all-electric vehicle plant at the Rouge in Dearborn for another week. The company said manufacturing will remain shut down at least until Feb. 23, while engineers conduct a thorough review of a battery issue.

That would mean a three-week production disruption, at the minimum.

"We are suspending production at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center through at least the end of next week," Bergg said. "We believe we have identified the root cause of this issue. By the end of next week, we expect to conclude our investigation and apply what we learn to the truck’s battery production process; this could take a few weeks. We will continue holding already-produced vehicles while we work through engineering and process updates."

She added, "We are not aware of any incidents of this issue in the field."

About 750 people work at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Plant, including about 700 hourly employees, Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker told the Free Press. UAW workers are on layoff during this production stoppage, and those with at least one year of seniority receive about 75% of their pre-tax pay during that time, she said.

Battery production for the Lightning begins in Atlanta, with Ford battery supplier SK On; the battery is assembled at the Rawsonville Ford Plant in Ypsilanti. At issue right now is the battery itself, not assembly, confirmed a source close to the situation but not authorized to discuss the matter.

Engineers are working with the supplier to resolve any potential problems. Ford has said its routine quality control process is preventing defective vehicles from making it to dealerships, as intended.

Stopping production is exceptionally expensive for any automaker, but it's important for companies to avoid producing vehicles that require recall or warranty fixes, which have drained billions of dollars from Ford's financials in recent years.

Confirmation of this major issue emerged Tuesday, a day after Farley and Executive Chair Bill Ford announced with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer the company's plan for a new $3.5 billion battery plant in Marshall.

Ford declined Wednesday to disclose how many Lightning trucks are built a day or a week. Ford is ramping up production now to meet strong demand and fill customer waiting lists. Almost a year ago, Farley said during the Lightning launch that workers built nearly 2,000 electric pickups within a week and a half.

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Let's just say this isn't going to help anyone, and seems to be confirmed it likely has nothing to do with those here that are getting calls from Ford and having battery cells replaced.

Ford has been so good at sending random stupid emails during the delivery process - I would expect something in my inbox from Farley soon reassuring me that they are looking out for me and my vehicle and they will keep us updated.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Ford was No. 1 in recalls in the U.S. for the last two years
but recalls for what?

there is an inapposite conclusion that can be reached via your comment: that Ford is meticulous, paying attention, and making things right, while other manufacturers have deathtraps on the road

I’m not saying I believe either way, but instead only that the fact that “Ford was No. 1 in recalls” doesn’t tell me anything that anyone can do anything with other than misinform their biases

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Ford was #1 in recalls with how many new products?

This Lightning Fire incident is concerning. At 22k miles **crossing fingers**

Just in case anyone thinks this doesn’t happen to Tesla

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna68153

The difference is Tesla will blame the owner until the very end and do nothing to investigate the issue….

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
but recalls for what?

there is an inapposite conclusion that can be reached via your comment: that Ford is meticulous, paying attention, and making things right, while other manufacturers have deathtraps on the road
OTH, Consumer Reports, based on reader surveys of reliability, usually rates Ford vehicles at average or below-average reliability. So, by that data and Occam's razor, it's probably that Ford is not doing as well on reliability, rather than that Ford is just a lot more conscientious than everybody else.

Occam's razor is not rejecting the more straightforward and simple explanation in favor of a more complicated, convoluted one.

ONURPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
I have a SR XLT that’s been built since 12/19 just waiting for shipping. I got the ship notice Monday morning.

Confirmed with dealer that the truck was unloaded Monday 2/13 just before the stop delivery order went out. They are doing pre delivery and I’m scheduled to pick it up either Friday or Saturday. I asked for any details on the battery issue and they had none and said there has been no further communication from ford to the dealers.

Personally I’m not too worried about completing the sale. Hopefully there won’t be a stop sale order between now and then.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Ford was #1 in recalls with how many new products?

This Lightning Fire incident is concerning. At 22k miles **crossing fingers**

Just in case anyone thinks this doesn’t happen to Tesla

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna68153

The difference is Tesla will blame the owner until the very end and do nothing to investigate the issue….
I had an 88 Crown Vic when I turned 16 in the 00's. There was a safety recall for the ignition switch and Ford honored it.

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
In other news today: Stellantis is telling the owners of nearly 341,000 Ram diesel trucks to park them outdoors because an electrical connector can overheat and cause a fire.

...and in November:
The Ford Motor Company is recalling more than 500,000 sport utility vehicles across the United States over fire risks resulting from a possibly cracked fuel injector.

Ford, the second-largest car manufacturer in the U.S., said that while the likelihood of fires was rare, it was compelled to offer the recall after being informed of at least 20 such incidents. The recall covers the company's Bronco Sport and Escape SUVs manufactured between the 2020 and 2023 model years.

...and in May:
Ford is asking the owners of 350,000 vehicles in to take them to dealers for repairs in three recalls, including about 39,000 that should be parked outdoors because the engines can catch fire.

Ford says in U.S. government documents posted Thursday that it doesn’t know what’s causing fires in some 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs.

But the company says fires can happen even while the engines are off. Ford has reports of 16 fires under the hood, 14 in rental company vehicles. One person was burned.

It's not just an EV issue. I'm not too worried...yet.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Battery Fire Causes Ford Output Halt

Ford Motor Co. said a battery fire in an F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck stored on company property was the cause of a production halt that began early last week.

The auto maker said Wednesday evening that the truck was in a holding lot when it caught fire during a predelivery quality check and spread to a nearby truck. “We have no reason to believe F-150 Lightnings already in customers’ hands are affected by this issue,” a spokeswoman said.

https://wallstreetjournal-ny.newsmemory.com/?publink=35033c274_134aa6c

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Battery Fire Causes Ford Output Halt

Ford Motor Co. said a battery fire in an F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck stored on company property was the cause of a production halt that began early last week.

The auto maker said Wednesday evening that the truck was in a holding lot when it caught fire during a predelivery quality check and spread to a nearby truck. “We have no reason to believe F-150 Lightnings already in customers’ hands are affected by this issue,” a spokeswoman said.

https://wallstreetjournal-ny.newsmemory.com/?publink=35033c274_134aa6c
Any idea where the holding lot is where this happened - Rouge Plant, or after a train trip? I hope Ford fast-tracks replacements for the 2 poor people whose trucks were involved.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Any idea where the holding lot is where this happened - Rouge Plant, or after a train trip? I hope Ford fast-tracks replacements for the 2 poor people whose trucks were involved.
All it says, as you can read, is "on company property" and that it was during a predelivery check.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The fire has been confirmed by multiple independent sources. Seems like the fire was a pretty good indicator they had a problem during pre delivery inspection. 😂 Starting to have flashbacks to the Boeing Dreamliner battery issues!
Oh my, I remember the scary events on the new Japan Airlines, United and ANA Boeing 787 planes' lithium battery that caught fire.
They sort of fixed it by enclosing the battery so that it contains any combustion.
Fires are a very scary aviation event!

Glad I have been parking mine outside...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.