• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Radio Exploding sonic boom then alien clicking static

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Issue now has a fix see the following post below for details.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-then-alien-clicking-static.12315/post-318665

==================================================================

Anyone experience an extremely loud noise explosion from the speakers and then clicking static? Truck has 350 miles. Drove 45 miles to an appointment this morning with no issues. Parked with radio on about “level” 5 when truck turned off. Was in appointment for about 90 minutes. Came back to truck and using fob to unlock as I reentered the truck. When I pressed start I was jolted literally out of my seat by an explosion of sound. Hi pitched sonic boom from all speakers then what I’d describe as late night loud FM static coming from speakers. I did not restart since I had already made that mistake once but tried all audio controls and touchscreen to turn down and off static. Did not work. When I finally decided to try to start the truck again the static stopped momentarily, truck came on and static was still present and no touchscreen or controls worked. I put the truck in drive and slowly drove around the parking lot to make sure I did not get any Mach E stop vehicle now messages. After a couple hundred yards I headed to the exit and when I got over the seatbelt warning threshold and nanny started bonging the static went away. No issues on my 45 mile trip back home.
Ford or anyone here, I’m concerned about this. It’s been 2 hours and my ears are still ringing. This could be a serious issue for child passengers or anyone for that fact. I have a video with audio of the clicking from my smartphone but not the beginning explosion of sound. I’m going to check my dashcam next to see if it captured the full event. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Update. I searched the Lightning forum before I posted here earlier. There is a 9 page thread about this very problem in the f150gen14 ICE Forum.

I checked my dashcam and it powered on after the sonic boom. All I have is the static but there are plenty examples in the below thread. NTHSB reports have been filed. I’m probably next. I’ve had 15 fords and this is a first. Currently there are 6 at my house.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/extremely-loud-electrical-pop-followed-by-loud-static.9591/

@Ford please respond. Known since 3/14/22.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
@O'Majestic1'slightnigF150 Just to compare, what is your model and sound system? Build date?

There is an earlier report in this forum about a pop for a Lightning https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/my-quality-issues.11782/post-246908
(look near the end of his post). " One time there was a loud "pop" over the speakers, the screen went black, then reset while driving."

I think someone said, in F150 forum, about quickly switching to FM radio to get rid of the static?
And a speaker blown as well?
But the ear damage is the worst thing about this loud pop, as ears do not recover from hits like that. Ford needs to get on this fast before big money lawsuits add up. Quality is Problem #1.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@O'Majestic1'slightnigF150 Just to compare, what is your model and sound system? Build date?

There is an earlier report in this forum about a pop for a Lightning https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/my-quality-issues.11782/post-246908
(look near the end of his post). " One time there was a loud "pop" over the speakers, the screen went black, then reset while driving. "

I think someone said, in F150 forum, about quickly switching to FM radio to get rid of the static?
And a speaker blown as well?
But the ear damage is the worst thing about this loud pop, as ears do not recover from hits like that. Ford needs to get on this fast before big money lawsuits add up. Quality is Problem #1.
Platinum
7/11 week
I think 7/14 build date.
Batch 006648 68/272
Don’t use apple carplay or android auto. I’ve read the f150gen14 threads. Had not seen one for a Lightning.
I was not buckled in and when the reminder bings came on the clicking static stopped. My touchscreen was unresponsive.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
This happened to me as well. I tried turning it on and off, radio controls, nothing worked.

Disconnecting the 12V battery fixed it.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone experience an extremely loud noise explosion from the speakers and then clicking static? Truck has 350 miles. Drove 45 miles to an appointment this morning with no issues. Parked with radio on about “level” 5 when truck turned off. Was in appointment for about 90 minutes. Came back to truck and using fob to unlock as I reentered the truck. When I pressed start I was jolted literally out of my seat by an explosion of sound. Hi pitched sonic boom from all speakers then what I’d describe as late night loud FM static coming from speakers. I did not restart since I had already made that mistake once but tried all audio controls and touchscreen to turn down and off static. Did not work. When I finally decided to try to start the truck again the static stopped momentarily, truck came on and static was still present and no touchscreen or controls worked. I put the truck in drive and slowly drove around the parking lot to make sure I did not get any Mach E stop vehicle now messages. After a couple hundred yards I headed to the exit and when I got over the seatbelt warning threshold and nanny started bonging the static went away. No issues on my 45 mile trip back home.
Ford or anyone here, I’m concerned about this. It’s been 2 hours and my ears are still ringing. This could be a serious issue for child passengers or anyone for that fact. I have a video with audio of the clicking from my smartphone but not the beginning explosion of sound. I’m going to check my dashcam next to see if it captured the full event. Thanks.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

CTBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
While backing my truck out of my garage, suddenly there was an extremely loud bang that sounded like a gun shot. Realized it came from all the 18 speakers in my Lightning. Turned the radio on and off but there was no sound. Turned the volume up and down and each click of the dial emitted a popping sound. Finally tried to tune a local radio station and it worked. Switched back to Sirius/XM and it has been fine since. My wife said it sounded like a fire cracker going off in the truck. Called my dealer and asked him to check my truck's internet issues tracing for the exact time it occurred, but nothing was noted. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Merged @CTBob post into this thread on the same topic

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No response from ford regarding this issue or why my Grabber Blue Mach E GTPE has been sitting outside of Kansas City since 9/27. Built 9/14 and went within 1 mile of the dealer on the way thru south texas after leaving the factory in Mexico. Waiting now on the return 950 mile trip.

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Does it only happen during start up, or during a drive?

OP
OP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Only happened once at start up. 3200 miles currently.
Sponsored