• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Radio Exploding sonic boom then alien clicking static

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
I have also experienced the extremely loud static, but cannot remember the specifics.
Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
This isn't exactly the same as the other recordings of this issue but my B&O rear started popping yesterday. First I noticed the sub randomly firing as soon as my CarPlay connected (sounded like someone punching the back seat) but then the rear speakers both started popping. Issue was persistent on AM/FM as well as CarPlay and lasted for my full 30 mile commute. The sub continued firing randomly with the popping, although it is difficult to pick up on the video. Issue resolved itself after a start cycle. 2022 Lariat ER. 8K miles. Nothing was to the scope of impacting my hearing but I did have earplugs conveniently located in my truck for work that I used, just to be safe.

Of course, it's random at this point so I won't take it in to the dealer just to be told they can't replicate the issue.

Yes... It's the Cranberries, don't judge! Volume is set to 1.
Cranberries are great. :)

Is this the 8 speaker B&O or “Unleashed” ?

I have been trying to reach out to Ford for information but so far they are giving ZERO information. Just dodging the question.

B&O says to talk to Ford. They provide no support for car audio systems.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
From what I understand both SR/ER Lariats are 8-speaker and Unleashed is only offered in the Platinum.
That’s correct afaik. I would suggest specifying because that could change in the future. Current gas lariats have the Unleashed as an option.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/FORD/F-150%2520%2520REGULAR%2520CAB/PU%252FRC/2WD#complaints

The complaints keep rolling in.

"I would estimate the dB level to be 150 plus. Left my ears ringing for hours followed by aching. I had my children in the back seat of the vehicle and it was very unsettling for them."

"Speakers from the sound system produced a deafening static noise that could not be stopped unless vehicle was stopped and shut off. Potential for serious accident as the noise came on without warning and can not be stopped when driving down road."

Has anyone been successful in getting any information from Ford on this? I am an owner and cheerleader for this truck, but this is deeply unsettling.

I am afraid to get into my truck, much less subject my family and friends to this.

Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
There is a video on Facebook confirming this exact issue occurring in a Lariat ER, which certainly raises the stakes. Not that it wasn't a serious issue already but there are many, many more Lariats on the road compared to Platinums with the B&O Unleashed.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Video link won't post due to it being in a private group but here's what the post looks like if you want to find it.

Apologies for the language - I'm not the OP.

OP confirms 2022 Lariat in comments.

Ford F-150 Lightning Radio Exploding sonic boom then alien clicking static 1678367851489

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Video link won't post due to it being in a private group but here's what the post looks like if you want to find it.

Apologies for the language - I'm not the OP.

OP confirms 2022 Lariat in comments.
Thanks, i joined that group and listened to his video, hopefully he follows-up with his dealer to get the speakers and amp checked out.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Thanks, i joined that group and listened to his video, hopefully he follows-up with his dealer to get the speakers and amp checked out.
Did he describe it as the same dangerously loud volume, and same circumstances? I wonder if there is a way to download the video for reposting here. Hopefully he files an NHTSA report.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/FORD/F-150%2520%2520REGULAR%2520CAB/PU%252FRC/2WD#complaints

The complaints keep rolling in.

"I would estimate the dB level to be 150 plus. Left my ears ringing for hours followed by aching. I had my children in the back seat of the vehicle and it was very unsettling for them."

"Speakers from the sound system produced a deafening static noise that could not be stopped unless vehicle was stopped and shut off. Potential for serious accident as the noise came on without warning and can not be stopped when driving down road."

Has anyone been successful in getting any information from Ford on this? I am an owner and cheerleader for this truck, but this is deeply unsettling.

I am afraid to get into my truck, much less subject my family and friends to this.
My ears are still ringing constantly since the incident in my truck on October 4, 2022. My ENT Doctor said the tinnitus is very likely to be permanent. I also have documented hearing loss due to the extreme noise exposure.

Ford replaced the Audio Control Module (ACM) in my truck. I asked if the ACM was specifically diagnosed as the issue, or were they just replacing the module in hopes it would solve the issue. No one at Ford or the dealership knows, or will answer. Another owner had the APIM replaced by Ford. There is an owner of a 2018 ICE F-150 in Canada who reports this issue since his vehicle was new, and it still continues unresolved by Ford.

This issue is not restricted to Lightnings. It appears to involve the B&O sound system in all F-150's. There are currently 13 pages on this issue posted on the F150 Gen14 forum ... https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ical-pop-followed-by-loud-static.9591/page-13

Everyone experiencing this issue should file a complaint at NHTSA. Ford seems unable or unwilling to resolve the issue on their own.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Did he describe it as the same dangerously loud volume, and same circumstances? I wonder if there is a way to download the video for reposting here. Hopefully he files an NHTSA report.
He mentions that a loud POP preceded a persistent noise captured in his video.

I listened to the various examples on the sister forum, none of those samples were exactly the same as his but still a nasty irritation.

Last edited:

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
My ears are still ringing constantly since the incident in my truck on October 4, 2022. My ENT Doctor said the tinnitus is very likely to be permanent. I also have documented hearing loss due to the extreme noise exposure.

Ford replaced the Audio Control Module (ACM) in my truck. I asked if the ACM was specifically diagnosed as the issue, or were they just replacing the module in hopes it would solve the issue. No one at Ford or the dealership knows, or will answer. Another owner had the APIM replaced by Ford. There is an owner of a 2018 ICE F-150 in Canada who reports this issue since his vehicle was new, and it still continues unresolved by Ford.

This issue is not restricted to Lightnings. It appears to involve the B&O sound system in all F-150's. There are currently 13 pages on this issue posted on the F150 Gen14 forum ... https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ical-pop-followed-by-loud-static.9591/page-13

Everyone experiencing this issue should file a complaint at NHTSA. Ford seems unable or unwilling to resolve the issue on their own.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle
That is awful. :(

Now that I have a replacement lined up, my truck is likely being sold tomorrow. It really sucks that I have to lose $20,000 on the trade in because of these dangerous flaws.

I tried talking to dealers about it numerous times and got nowhere. @Ford Motor Company would you like to run my VIN?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
That is awful. :(

Now that I have a replacement lined up, my truck is likely being sold tomorrow. It really sucks that I have to lose $20,000 on the trade in because of these dangerous flaws.

I tried talking to dealers about it numerous times and got nowhere. @Ford Motor Company would you like to run my VIN?
Sad. Ford customer service is absolutely terrible regarding this issue ... and with their flagship vehicle at that. Complete silence from Ford on the issue or its status. We are all adults, and we can deal with honest information. Ford would be much better off being open and honest with the owners on this issue, like they mostly were with the recent HV battery issues.
Sponsored