• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
$800 per year is way too much. It also does not account for different amounts of usage. If I look at my current driving (before EV) I drive under 5000 miles per year, most likely less than 2500. A usage based model might be much better (10 cents per mile using blue cruise, 5 cents if used more than 500miles/month.)
The Lariat is already a overpriced toy for me so I need to look into cost savings somewhere. Or just use it for the 3 years included and then sell the entire truck for something better available then.

I am one of the "First Time Ford Buyers" and while I still want to take delivery, I am starting to question if it is worth it. Quality will improve, parts availability will improve, they will (hopefully) fix the software bugs. But their communications, price politics and some of the other issues are starting to get to me. This price feels like Ford is trying to compensate some of the losses/miscalculations they made in the hardware by overpricing services. The kind of pricing Tesla usually does and being a reason I do not want a Tesla.
Sponsored

Beaux

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited
I love bluecruise but won't be paying that for it. I understand needing a fee after three years to help continually update it but this is absurd. Is GM doing the same for their super cruise system?

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
I find it amusing how Ford was bragging about all the first time Ford buyers (myself included) due to the popularity of the truck. Then they pissed off 75% by not offering the Pro model in quantity, another 10% by jacking up prices numerous times, and of the remaining people that purchased...they've now alienated the vast majority. This is not how you earn repeat customers. I had been planning on keeping the lightning 10+ years. But if Ford continues down this road and other manufacturers enable V2H capabilities then I'll be looking to abandon ship.
I agee. by the time this truck is paid off i might be going cyber truck

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
$800 per year is way too much. It also does not account for different amounts of usage. If I look at my current driving (before EV) I drive under 5000 miles per year, most likely less than 2500. A usage based model might be much better (10 cents per mile using blue cruise, 5 cents if used more than 500miles/month.)
The Lariat is already a overpriced toy for me so I need to look into cost savings somewhere. Or just use it for the 3 years included and then sell the entire truck for something better available then.

I am one of the "First Time Ford Buyers" and while I still want to take delivery, I am starting to question if it is worth it. Quality will improve, parts availability will improve, they will (hopefully) fix the software bugs. But their communications, price politics and some of the other issues are starting to get to me. This price feels like Ford is trying to compensate some of the losses/miscalculations they made in the hardware by overpricing services. The kind of pricing Tesla usually does and being a reason I do not want a Tesla.

same here first time ford buyer. definitely leaving a bad taste in my mouth. my 2017 tundra limited was a great truck. never one problem but drank gas.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
@TaxmanHog in your opinion - If indeed this charge should come to pass could it legitimately be an allowable business expense used to offset revenue? If so, could you then conclude (forgetting '22 taxes) if the 3 year subscription baked into the Lariat ER is $700 per year going forward in 23 and 24 $700 could be claimed as a business expense for a sole proprietor?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
@TaxmanHog in your opinion - If indeed this charge should come to pass could it legitimately be an allowable business expense used to offset revenue? If so, could you then conclude (forgetting '22 taxes) if the 3 year subscription baked into the Lariat ER is $700 per year going forward in 23 and 24 $700 could be claimed as a business expense for a sole proprietor?
Sorry, I do not get into that type of advice, but a CPA should be able to give you a solid answer.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It’s not worth $75 per year, let alone per month.
I'm withholding final judgement on its worth until the truck receives the 1.2 update. Not that I'll pay annual subscription fees anyway.

As it is right now, I don't use it very often because I can drive a lot better. BCHF has an affinity for being in the wrong part of the lane when there is adjacent traffic. It doesn't scooch over. I try not to drive like a d-bag. I don't mind the dropouts for toll facilities and construction zones. I also don't like its tendency to brake late and hard, although that's more the adaptive cruise than the hands-free stuff.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Is GM doing the same for their super cruise system?
Yes, although I don't know the price when my three years is up for Super Cruise. BTW, I like SC better, but it's probably because the Bolt is a tiny car. Even though it stays centered with adjacent traffic, there's a lot more room. To me, BCHF always seems to be on the wrong side of the lane center when there is adjacent traffic.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
Yes, although I don't know the price when my three years is up for Super Cruise. BTW, I like SC better, but it's probably because the Bolt is a tiny car. Even though it stays centered with adjacent traffic, there's a lot more room. To me, BCHF always seems to be on the wrong side of the lane center when there is adjacent traffic.
yep - I swear it tries to "hug" traffic in the adjacent lane when you want the opposite. will be tough to write a check for that!

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
yep - I swear it tries to "hug" traffic in the adjacent lane when you want the opposite. will be tough to write a check for that!
The YouTubers behind the Mach E post that started this whole thread posted a video a couple months ago that indicates that BC 1.2 does the scooch, lane changes, and is much improved.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
Well, the window sticker on my 2022 simply says that the truck has "BLUECRUISE".

There's no mention of any time-limited subscription anywhere on the window sticker.
Ford F-150 Lightning BlueCruise Subscription Price Increased to $800/yr for All Renewals IMG_2975

On my 2022 (Lariat ER, not Platinum), BlueCruise isn’t mentioned. I wonder if 2022 Platinums don’t have the three year trial and it was included for the life of the vehicle. My Connected Services page on ford.com or the app shows a 2025 expiry. Does yours?

Ford F-150 Lightning BlueCruise Subscription Price Increased to $800/yr for All Renewals IMG_2980

…and the 2023 configurator seems to show - on both Lairat and Platinum - that it’s definitely the three year “trial”.

My thoughts and feelings are similarly negative to everyone else. Eff this.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
On my 2022 (Lariat ER, not Platinum), BlueCruise isn’t mentioned. I wonder if 2022 Platinums don’t have the three year trial and it was included for the life of the vehicle. My Connected Services page on ford.com or the app shows a 2025 expiry. Does yours?

…and the 2023 configurator seems to show - on both Lairat and Platinum - that it’s definitely the three year “trial”.

My thoughts and feelings are similarly negative to everyone else. Eff this.
Took a look and mine also shows a three-year trial with an expiration in 2025.

I don't think they're going to have many takers at $800 per year. Maybe this one will be like when BMW tried to charge for CarPlay and ended up backing down when everyone complained. Only time will tell...

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
My thoughts?

I really do hope Ford changes its mind. That kind of fee a year for existing functionality is not okay. As others have said, the system will be obsolete in a few years time as more capable systems come out.

However, I do have a little bit of an alternative thought. If this does indeed come to pass, I suspect my wife and I will go with Comma, Ai. instead. We've just installed a Comma 3 on her 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere, and so far, so good. It's already better than BlueCruise in terms of what it can handle and what it can't (and on our particular year of Bolt EV the Comma system (OPGM) is not officially supported by Comma).

My friend and colleague has a Comma 3 on her e-Niro, and I can honestly say the branch of OpenPilot she's using (SunnyPilot) is the most accomplished Level 2 system out there. Period. It blows Tesla, BlueCruise and SuperCruise out of the water.

I know that there are already some developments going on with Comma Ai's Open Pilot for Ford, so maybe this will be a thing some of us can migrate toward.

In terms of cost, the Comma 3 is $1400, and as it's open source... there's no software charge.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
What is blue cruise really.... Is it just the ability to take my hand off the wheel and let it track my eyes?

It feels like adaptive cruise control + lane keep assist do literally all the work here. If I keep my hand on the wheel to provide some force feedback... What else is blue cruise really bringing to the table?

Serious question.
Sponsored