• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

✅ 11/14 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023)

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Carbonized Gray
you found the active thread
Yup, Yup, Thanks for the survey and reply... I added a bunch of linkbacks to the four threads that I found which seemed most relevant.

I was impressed that Ford Corporate called me on the phone like 4 days before the fault occurred But somewhat not surprised by the dealers service departments lack of apparent urgency or care for addressing the problem, unfortunately. Ford has a hell of an uphill battle to wage over the next decade if they want to make the transition...

For the 9 months that I got to use my Lightning it has been an absolute pleasure and beast of a truck, did all sorts of awesome stuff with it, hauling, towing, car showing and ProPower charging other cars, chillin' in the frunk at car shows... Really sad that it took this turn, hope once i get it back that I can trust it again, but I'm now afraid to take it far enough that it wouldn't make it back home again without charging.... But I really wanted to take a one DCFC road trip to Moses Lake, Washington and try out the Tesla SuperCharger MagicDock there just for kicks... sigh.
Sponsored

4BLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT-SR Max Tow Azure Gray Metallic
Yup, Yup, Thanks for the survey and reply... I added a bunch of linkbacks to the four threads that I found which seemed most relevant.

I was impressed that Ford Corporate called me on the phone like 4 days before the fault occurred But somewhat not surprised by the dealers service departments lack of apparent urgency or care for addressing the problem, unfortunately. Ford has a hell of an uphill battle to wage over the next decade if they want to make the transition...

For the 9 months that I got to use my Lightning it has been an absolute pleasure and beast of a truck, did all sorts of awesome stuff with it, hauling, towing, car showing and ProPower charging other cars, chillin' in the frunk at car shows... Really sad that it took this turn, hope once i get it back that I can trust it again, but I'm now afraid to take it far enough that it wouldn't make it back home again without charging.... But I really wanted to take a one DCFC road trip to Moses Lake, Washington and try out the Tesla SuperCharger MagicDock there just for kicks... sigh.
I see that you found the active thread in the [Issues...... thread group], very few folks are heading back to their build week thread to relate this problem.

From my 10 mile high perspective, it seems to be a wide variety of production weeks impacted by low quality of battery modules, well outside the production range initially identified after the truck fire event and suspension of production at the Rouge.

Continue sharing in the other thread, maybe folks will post up a details of truck production dates in their signatures, to help identify trends from the forum members going through this issue.
Are we only seeing these issues with ER trucks? It seems like I haven’t seen many battery issues with the SR trucks or maybe they don’t say what version of truck they have.

OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Are we only seeing these issues with ER trucks? It seems like I haven’t seen many battery issues with the SR trucks or maybe they don’t say what version of truck they have.
I haven't noticed, but it's likely to affect SR trucks too.
I would help if we standardize how we describe our lightnings on the profile vehicle data fields and / or the signature.
Ford F-150 Lightning ✅ 11/14 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023) 1702744145539
Ford F-150 Lightning ✅ 11/14 Lightning Build Week Group (MY2023) 1702744192964

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
I've TLDR my previous post:
* 2023.09.29 - 8am I got a pre-emptive "Ford Recall" 866-436-7332 call about #23B57, no CELs.
* 2023.10.02 - ODO:16930 got CEL related to HV Bat and #23B57.
* 2023.10.23ish - Replacement module part ordered
* 2023.11.09 - Replaced Module #6 complete and Lightning ER Returned to me.
* 2023.11.16 - Charging at home threw "Charger Fault" at 56% SoC stepped down from 9kW over 15min
* 2023.12.12 - ODO:17437 Finally diagnosed needs Module #2, Parts Ordered. SoC is down to 12%
* 2023.12.12 - They preformed a bunch of other recalls, rubber dash mat, heated steering, etc.
* 2023.12.16 - FordPass reporting 10% SoC (This will be the last telemetry from the truck)
* 2023.12.18 - KARR (LoJack) reported Low 12v Battery, FordPass Alarm Triggered.
* 2023.12.19 - KARR "Vehicle (12v) Battery Low" - DC-DC Likely has given up on maintaining 12v at this point.
** I had been up to this point running a CellPhone HotSpot and 4 Ring Cameras (Now in ultra-low power mode) off of the 12v battery, which is why it kept draining so rapidly (This was expected.)
*** What was not expected was the no 30+ days without any ability to charge HV Battery.
*** At this point I periodically visit the truck to add a cell phone battery bank to keep the HotSpot and Ring Cameras running. A 50Ah battery runs the setup for about a week or more, so just keep swapping those.
* 2023.12.21 - FordPass "Alarm Triggered" due to "Hood Opening", Likely due to manual hood release and an attempt to jump start 12v system. They tried to plug into EVSE, which of course does not work due to complete fault of charging system. This was the state I handed it over to them in.
2024.01.10 - I called FordRecall to re-initiate a case for my second failure and ask about loaners. They approved me for 2weeks... But the dealer has no electric loaners, so I resigned to simply continue to drive my 70MPG 2000 Honda Insight... Sigh..
2024.01.19 - FordRecall (Karen) said there was a shortage of battery module parts but tried to get an estimate. No estimate available.
* The service department described that the loaners are "rented from the sales department". And so I went to sales and talked to my original sales guy. He escalated my situation and they found a 2023 MachE GT "demo" vehicle that one of the sales managers was driving. So he cleaned out that car to let me take as a loaner. So at least I get to experience a MachE for a few weeks.

And so there we are. Been out of service coming up on 4 months now with 1 week of it working between the first fault being fixed and the second fault occurring. I get the impression that replacement modules are in short supply.

Last edited:

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
I'm sorry to see the issues some are having. My truck has been nearly flawless. The only issues I've had are related to app connectivity and those were fixed with OTA updates. I have 15K+ miles on my truck and absolutely love it. It's a base XLT SR. I've since added almost everything that's included in the ER version of the XLT...

Sponsored

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
I've TLDR my previous post:
* 2023.12.12 - They preformed a bunch of other recalls, rubber dash mat, heated steering, etc.
* 2023.12.16 - FordPass reporting 10% SoC (This will be the last telemetry from the truck)
* 2023.12.18 - KARR (LoJack) reported Low 12v Battery, FordPass Alarm Triggered.
* 2023.12.19 - KARR "Vehicle (12v) Battery Low" - DC-DC Likely has given up on maintaining 12v at this point.
* 2023.12.21 - FordPass "Alarm Triggered" due to "Hood Opening", Likely due to manual hood release.
* 2024.01.10 - I called FordRecall to re-initiate a case for my second failure and ask about loaners.
* 2024.01.19 - FordRecall (Karen) said there was a shortage of battery module parts but tried to get an estimate. No estimate available.
* 2024.01.28 - FordPass 0% SoC
** I Brought a 12v LiFePO4 and jumper cables to boot up Lightning. Dash showed 0% SoC.
*** FordPass also now showing 0% 9Mi to empty, but says updated Dec 21 at 09:34:49 which seem odd.
*** I needed to get my camera mount off the sunroof but the visor shade was mostly closed on it, also wanted to open the tailgate so needed power.

* 2024.02.06 - Stopped by to extend the MachE Loaner, service said the part had just arrived
** They expect to begin working on mine very soon after another Lightning they are currently working on is finished... I expect it will also need a new 12v, and I sure hope that the HV pack has not gone to 0% or some equivalent minimum voltage causing damage to the rest of the modules. Hoping that perhaps the 12v has simply been dead for so long that it's forgotten the actual SoC of the HV pack? Guess will find out in the next few days.

OP
OP
TaxmanHog

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Hoping that perhaps the 12v has simply been dead for so long that it's forgotten the actual SoC of the HV pack? Guess will find out in the next few days.
Most likely this, hope your truck is fixed soon.

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
TLDR; in November they replaced Module #6 and just now finished replacing Module #2.

2024.02.22 - FordPass 44% SoC @15:24 "updated 7 minutes ago"
* Woot Woot, Maybe it will be fixed soon?!

2024.02.23 - FordPass 100% SoC
* @10:38 FordPass reporting 90% SoC, So it seems to be fixed and they are charging it!
* @12:52 FordPass reporting 100% SoC, Charge Session: 47.4kWh in 4h55m
* Invoice #***** - FDRS scan has BECM P0B24 / GWM P1674 WSM shows no code?
** Cause: Ran GWM update flash (usb flash) GWM now passes ok
** Try running battery health report / not sure how to proceed /
** connected data shows truck was ok for 487 miles after battery #6 was replaced then set code in BECM.
** Sent form to SSSC / they cam back with reference 106851013? That ID contact number is not showing up? Not sure what to do?
** 2/6/24 out to truck has dead 12V and HV battery /try jumpstarting and attempt to charge EV /
** push inside will not go ready to drive mode. Linked FDRS try clearing codes to get HV charging. Try charging 12v will not except charge /
** cant charge HV without 12v / keeps kicking out /hooked up to DCA8000P unit to charge and test
** 12V failed / ordered 12v batt.
** Correction: Removed pack / try entering the bar codes with scanner for XMB-9640 balancer but keeps saying the new and old cell numbers are red?
** will not let me continue / test for an updates ok / spent over an hour trying then just replaced cell #2 /
** had to put cells #6, #7, #8 /pack cover / coolant pressure test / vac fill coolant /ran hour long coolant fill bleed steps /
** reinstall skid plates /crate up old cell /cleared all codes / test stage 1 charging ok / road test / plug into charge full.
* @14:27 ** Range=275 ** Trip 2 (lifetime +10k) 7433.8 mi ** 1477:02:58 ** 2.1mi/kWh ** ODO:17438mi
* @16:14 got to work. Trip1: 48.2Mi ** 3:59:57 ** 2.3Mi/kWh ** ODO:17484.9Mi

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
Well, it's the end of a chapter for me, Lemon Law surrendered my F150 Lightning today due to 5/15 months out of service & two battery modules replaced. Lifetime efficiency 2.1Mi/kWh at 18824 miles. It was great when it was working.
Sponsored