• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 F-150 Lightning Range Calculator (official Ford) w/ Preconditioning & Temperature Considered

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I stumbled across this today, and had fun testing it. It is ONLY a visual demonstration of the impact of preconditioning, and the outside temperatures, verse the EPA rating posted on the window sticker.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/?gnav=header-electrified-vhp

You input a location to start from
You input your battery size
You input if your precondition
You can vary the outside temperature (in only 3 levels, but that is probably enough considering all the other variables you can't adjust)

It gives a shaded area that you can travel on a full charge and clearly informs you of the impact of proconditioning as well as the impact of temperatures on your possible range.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 F-150 Lightning Range Calculator (official Ford) w/ Preconditioning & Temperature Considered 2023 website range calculator
Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
That's actually pretty cool. And, based on my experience, relatively accurate though it doesn't really give a key as to what the different shaded areas mean.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
It's cool but horribly flawed. No one is traveling 320 miles at the avg speed required (40 to 50mph)? to actually get 320 miles out of a full charge.

It should have a check box or slider for avg speed of trip.

Also, I would like to see their definition of "cold"

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
That's actually pretty cool. And, based on my experience, relatively accurate though it doesn't really give a key as to what the different shaded areas mean.
after some deduction the shaded appears to be the "real life range" and the thick outline as mentioned in the key is the "EPA range". Sure would be nice if it actually stated that in the key. Like you said.

Deduction Method: With cold selected, If you adjust the preconditioning toggle you see the shaded area change substantially.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
after some deduction the shaded appears to be the "real life range" and the thick outline as mentioned in the key is the "EPA range". Sure would be nice if it actually stated that in the key. Like you said.

Deduction Method: With cold selected, If you adjust the preconditioning toggle you see the shaded area change substantially.
Yeah - it would be interesting to see if the shades are related to specific average speed or something, or if they're just a linear gradient for purposes of saying "farther is less and less likely."

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver

Right. The blue line is the theoretical "max" if everything is optimal including driving speed. Otherwise the purple shaded areas actually seems to be fairly accurate based on how far I've gone from my home location. The round trip option looks good too.

Did you guys notice there is a towing toggle? I don't tow but according to this I couldn't even tow a large load in the cold from Austin to Houston without stopping which is likely true!

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Cool find @Grumpy2 . Looks relatively accurate, based on prior experience. I made it to the red line with 49% left and was doing the speed limit or slightly less due to traffic and torrential rain. It was low 40s for temp.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 F-150 Lightning Range Calculator (official Ford) w/ Preconditioning & Temperature Considered IMG_0981

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'd say it's close to useless. I just played with it, and it has my truck, in cold weather, going about 331 miles. It

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Gee this is almost like something that they could put on the truck's screen somewhere.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It could use some extra information. I checked hot, and at first glance I thought it was telling me I could make it all the way to El Paso. Best I've done is north Tucson to Demming, had 40 miles of range left. So 280 total miles of range. I guess the darker the shade, the higher the average speed. A slider for speed that moves the dark outline would be great.

farmtruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F350XLT, 2 x 12 F250XLT, 23 Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farmer
If ford would add this to fordpass or the display, and read the current local weather conditions into it, I think I could find a real use for it.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd say it's close to useless. I just played with it, and it has my truck, in cold weather, going about 331 miles. It
Are you sure? The dark blue line is always epa max-ish. The shaded areas change as you play with the settings. When I use it it seems pretty accurate based on experience. It took me a minute to realize the dark line wasn't part of the calculation.
Sponsored