• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
now the exterior frunk button does not work. Interior button works fine.
The mobile serviced tech was perplexed. He even put the old part back in, but no luck.

Dealer is going to come and get the truck and drop of a loaner.
Does it just not work to close the frunk? You may need to simply reset the frunk; I had to do that after mobile service did the 23B70 work on my truck. Since the frunk was already open from the work I manually closed it without using any buttons. After that the exterior button worked just fine.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Does it just not work to close the frunk? You may need to simply reset the frunk; I had to do that after mobile service did the 23B70 work on my truck. Since the frunk was already open from the work I manually closed it without using any buttons. After that the exterior button worked just fine.
Does not work to open or close the frunk.
The first step I did was to close it manually. Would not open or close with the button on the grille.
Tried a few other things, but nothing. Button in truck and on key fob work fine.

Technician had code scanner and he said not codes were thrown.

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Does not work to open or close the frunk.
The first step I did was to close it manually. Would not open or close with the button on the grille.
Tried a few other things, but nothing. Button in truck and on key fob work fine.

Technician had code scanner and he said not codes were thrown.
That's unfortunate. Best of luck on the service call.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
That's unfortunate. Best of luck on the service call.
I was reading an old thread about a frunk button not working, and I actually made a post reminding that poster that all the doors need to be unlocked for the button to work.

I went out and unlocked the truck with the key fob and now the frunk button is working. I always keep my truck unlocked at home, so the tech must have hit a lock button at some point.

A lot of things to remember with this truck

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I was reading an old thread about a frunk button not working, and I actually made a post reminding that poster that all the doors need to be unlocked for the button to work.

I went out and unlocked the truck with the key fob and now the frunk button is working. I always keep my truck unlocked at home, so the tech must have hit a lock button at some point.

A lot of things to remember with this truck
The truck being locked situation is only true for the Pro and XLT. The Lariat and Platinum have another bluetooth receiver. It will open when the truck is locked if you have your PAAK or fob in your pocket.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The truck being locked situation is only true for the Pro and XLT. The Lariat and Platinum have another bluetooth receiver. It will open when the truck is locked if you have your PAAK or fob in your pocket.
Not true. My Lariat is standard range battery and has no PAAK. So can't use button to open frunk.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Not true. My Lariat is standard range battery and has no PAAK. So can't use button to open frunk.
Well I've never heard that before...a Lariat regardless of battery size that isn't equipped to work with PAAK?

PAAK is supposed to be a function of the trim level I thought. And if you have the fob in your pocket and walk up to the front of your locked truck and press the exterior frunk button it should open.

FinsNBolts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Well I've never heard that before...a Lariat regardless of battery size that isn't equipped to work with PAAK?

PAAK is supposed to be a function of the trim level I thought. And if you have the fob in your pocket and walk up to the front of your locked truck and press the exterior frunk button it should open.
My 22 Lariat SR and 23 Lariat SR both do not have PAAK and also has the Frunk button failure when it’s locked. I always assumed it was because you can click the drunk button from the exterior of the truck they don’t want it opening when locked.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My 22 Lariat SR and 23 Lariat SR both do not have PAAK and also has the Frunk button failure when it’s locked. I always assumed it was because you can click the drunk button from the exterior of the truck they don’t want it opening when locked.
Can you open the driver’s door when the truck is locked and the fob is in your pocket? If so, the frunk should work the same way (I think)..

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

PAAK is only available on the SR Lariat when it's equipped with BlueCruise. It was a package deal.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Can you open the driver’s door when the truck is locked and the fob is in your pocket? If so, the frunk should work the same way (I think)..
It should but it does not. I have an SR Lariat w/o BlueCruise and my frunk button does not work if the doors are locked. I just tried it with the fob in my pocket. I was curious if the problem was that there isn’t a sensor at the front of the truck so I tried it again with the fob by the door and it still does not work. Ford needs to port the code from the power tailgate to the frunk.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It should but it does not. I have an SR Lariat w/o BlueCruise and my frunk button does not work if the doors are locked. I just tried it with the fob in my pocket. I was curious if the problem was that there isn’t a sensor at the front of the truck so I tried it again with the fob by the door and it still does not work. Ford needs to port the code from the power tailgate to the frunk.
My question was - will the driver’s door open with the fob in your pocket?, not if the frunk will open with the fob near the driver’s door (it won’t). The fob must be within 1 meter of the door being opened.
Maybe my understanding of how the frunk is supposed to work with the various Lariat packages is incorrect. It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
My question was - will the driver’s door open with the fob in your pocket?, not if the frunk will open with the fob near the driver’s door (it won’t). The fob must be within 1 meter of the door being opened.
Maybe my understanding of how the frunk is supposed to work with the various Lariat packages is incorrect. It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.
Yes, the door will unlock if the fob is in my pocket and I touch the back of the handle. I tried to open the frunk with the fob in my pocket and it will not open. Also, the tailgate will open if the doors are locked and I press the button on the tailgate with the fob in my pocket. I only did the second test with the fob by the door since I knew the fob would be detected there, I didn’t expect it to work. There seem to be sensors in both front doors and the tailgate but I guess they did not put one on the hood. If the fob can’t be detected in front of the truck then I would at least like for Ford to allow the frunk button to close the frunk when the doors are locked.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, the door will unlock if the fob is in my pocket and I touch the back of the handle. I tried to open the frunk with the fob in my pocket and it will not open. Also, the tailgate will open if the doors are locked and I press the button on the tailgate with the fob in my pocket. I only did the second test with the fob by the door since I knew the fob would be detected there, I didn’t expect it to work. There seem to be sensors in both front doors and the tailgate but I guess they did not put one on the hood. If the fob can’t be detected in front of the truck then I would at least like for Ford to allow the frunk button to close the frunk when the doors are locked.
OK, now I understand your situation. It seems really odd that Ford would enable keyless access to 5 of the six doors. Why not all?
I guess we still have the question - is this how it’s supposed to work, or is the the antenna for your frunk broken? I don’t know the answer.
Sponsored