• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

General Grabber tires

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Hey guys,

Turns out there's a puncture in one of my general grabbers and the shop is asking that I change all 4 at this point...

When came the time to look at new tires, they advised me that these tires are simply Gerneral Grabber HTS60 tires...indicating that they aren't necessarily made different from any regular grabbers they would put on an ice truck. Can anybody confirm this?

If so, has anybody tried a different all-season tire like the Michelin Defender LTX by any chance? Wondering if we'd be getting a huge hit in range...

Thanks!
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Load Rating 116!!!!!!

OP
OP

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
I'm aware of that... still doesn't exactly answer my questions...lol

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
based on this thread:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...g-after-the-stock-tires-wear-out.16667/page-6

SInce I started this thread I thought I should post which tires I finally selected. I had the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2s installed last week at 36,128 miles. So far I have seen no noticeable range reduction. I averaged 3.3 miles/kw on the way home from the dealership which is rural roads with speeds limit of 55mph which i usually travel 60ish. They are very quiet and have been great so far. I'll give another update in a few thousands miles or so but so far I am very happy with my choice. I was also able to apply 40,000 ford pass points to the purchase of the tires which helped a lot on price.

2023/2024 Lightnings are coming with these now instead of the General Grabbers:
https://www.goodyear.com/en_US/tires/wrangler-territory-ht/24355.html

So I'd go with your defender choice or the wranglers. I know the wranglers HT have an "EV" ready symbol on their tirewall if that sways your decision but I do know that the Defender LTX M/S2 are also EV ready in their marketing.

Costco has a promo on Michelins for $80 off a set of 4 tires.

dont quote me on this, but I believe the grabber hts60 are carry overs from the standard f150.

Last edited:

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I put 27k miles on the original Generals. I’ve had Defenders on now for a little under 1k miles. I knew towing my 19’ camper would be the true test. I’ve averaged 1.3 mi/kW towing with the Generals. I just towed a 300 mile round trip and got 1.1 mi/kW. That is the difference between making it to the State Park without having to DC fast charge and not.
The Generals had 4/32+/- on them when I got rid of them and I think efficiency got better as they wore down.

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
There’s a new Defender LTX M/S2. I put these on after my Grabbers wore out and the Defender is hands down better. A lot less road noise, feels grippier when cornering, and it handled mixed light snow / ice wonderfully this winter.

If you want to go all season these would be my recommendation.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
There’s a new Defender LTX M/S2. I put these on after my Grabbers wore out and the Defender is hands down better. A lot less road noise, feels grippier when cornering, and it handled mixed light snow / ice wonderfully this winter.

If you want to go all season these would be my recommendation.
Any loss in efficiency?

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I installed 2 weeks ago DEFENDR LTX MS2 AWESOME not noticed any range loss at all, maybe small amount compared to my bald grabbers but that's not fair anyways.

I will say I had good experience on the grabbers for the 68500km i put on them

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
IMO, human beings don't know crap about the impact of changes from an efficiency standpoint. They remove the air dam, then "I noticed no difference".

The only way to truly know the impact of changing tires is to drive the exact same stretch off road, at the exact same consistent speed, temps, etc. Looking at energy used in CarScanner.

1.2 vs 1.3 isn't 0.1, because 1.2 might be 1.15 or 1.24. You can't see that.

Michelin Defenders are great tires. I put them on our Fusion Hybrid and then PHEV over the Michelin Energy Savers they came with. Buying a tire with an 70 or 80,000 mile wear warranty is worth money.

A made for EV tire will get better efficiency, whether you notice it or not. Assume only a 5% impact. Assume 2 miles per kilowatt hour, and drive 10,000 miles, using 5,000kWh. Getting 1.9 means you would use 263 more kWh.

Do you care is the question.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
1.2 vs 1.3 isn't 0.1, because 1.2 might be 1.15 or 1.24. You can't see that.
Since the two displays (instrument cluster vs. center screen) of miles/kWh employ both truncation logic and rounding logic, you can narrow down 1.2 miles/kWh displayed on both displays to 1.20 to 1.24. Similarly, if they differ (1.2, 1.3 mi/kWh), then the estimate is really 1.25-1.29 miles/kWh while simultaneously telling you Ford is bad at software. (Maybe different subcontractors were responsible for each display, then Ford is bad at software requirements.)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm aware of that... still doesn't exactly answer my questions...lol
I haven't needed to change my all-season tires yet, I have no opinions about what other options might be best, leaving that to those who have replaced them.