• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How much $$$ do you make?

Annual household income?

• Less than $60,000

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • $60-$80k

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • $80-$120k

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • $120-$160k

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • $160-$200k

Votes: 35 14.8%
  • $200-$240k

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • More than $240,000

Votes: 107 45.3%

• Total voters

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
@PungoteagueDave
You consider a truck a throw away consumable? Genuine question, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by that.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
See above. Again, ignores risk, depreciation and tax ramifications. Always better to pay cash for throw-away consumables. Always. No conversations in finance rooms, no discussions about add-ons, no service contracts, no insurance riders, no title issues. Life is so much simpler when one delays gratification that one time up front. Even when the math works marginally as you say, even if it can be done with locked-in yields on both sides of the ledger, the transaction hassle for a few hundred or even a thousand bucks isn't worth the brain damage in my view. I once saved $1k in a special rebate on a Ford truck for taking the low-interest financing deal, and paid off the loan a week later, just to get the $1k price cut. By the time I did all the paperwork, had the credit check blip, wrote the checks, added and withdrew the lien info on my insurance and the title, it simply wasn't worth the time on a per-hour basis. Far better to just pay $1k more and walk away free of hassle. These deals, like the 90-days-same-as cash furniture, TV, appliance, etc. arrangements are intentional financial traps, set by retailers for fees from lenders who EXPECT a significant portion of "borrowers" to fall into their lair and end up with 8% car loans 18%+ consumer loans instead of paying off the balances.

There's a term of art in consumer marketing - the "masses are asses" - it is amazing what you can get away with because people are simply uneducated about how to manage money. It has become part of the American way to have a car payment and a mortgage. 100 years ago NEITHER existed. Yet both are now accepted as a routine thing, with no questioning or understanding that doing either almost always leaves you with less money at the end of your life. Yes, in the case of home mortgages, timing is everything, and there have been periods, even long periods, where leverage created value for mortgage borrowers, but we now know how that can end up too. But cars are not real estate, will be worth less next year than this, ad infinitum.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 6.58.05 PM.png
I agree with you 100000 times over on vehicles pissing money down the drain, but property held for several years is a far different story. This is coming from a 20 year old that bought his first property (an owner occupied duplex in the peak of the 07 bubble) I still Own that property several primary homes later and it has served me very well.

In short. USA real Estate is a great investment over at least 7+ years, similar to the trends of the index of the stock market.

Vehicles are pissing money down the drain. FACT!!!

Conflating taking loans on the two of them is total miss direction. One of them is practical and smart and one of them is the payday lender of the middle class.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
100 years ago there was no such thing as a car loan...
To satisfy my own curiosity I looked this up, this is from Encyclopedia.com:

When Did It Begin
The car loan officially originated in 1919, when the General Motors Corporation (an automobile manufacturer founded in 1908 in Flint, Michigan) established the General Motors Acceptance Corporation, or GMAC. GMAC arose in response to the growing demand for automobiles among American consumers after World War I. In 1919 GMAC established offices in five North American cities; a year later it opened its first office in Great Britain. As the car loan business expanded, other automobile manufacturers began to develop their own financing divisions. One of the most prominent was the Ford Motor Credit Company, founded in 1923. Although car loans were available most American consumers during the first half of the twentieth century paid cash for their automobiles.

Car loans have been around since basically the beginning. I'm not trying to argue that they are the BEST way to purchase a car. I am trying to argue that cash is not ALWAYS better. Is it possible to make more than you pay on interest. Take a simple buy and hold approach using annual return of the S&P 500. I looked at it going back to 1940. I looked at the net gain for the previous 5 years, every year from 1940 to present. 21 of out 83 years would have net same or less than paid in interest with a low of 80% (or a 20% loss). That means 75% of the time, buying and holding for at least 5 years netted the same or better than you would have paid in interest. And I factored long term capital gains tax into that. 3 out of 4 blind luck odds....and some years doubled their money. It takes very little time or effort open a brokerage, put the money it, and buy the SPY ETF. Done, nothing to do for 5 years now. Oh, and that didn't even include your quarterly dividend. Extend the term of the loan and your odds of success go up from there. Again, that's set it and forget it. Easy. I've done all my loans with this in mind and have done well enough that I can now splurge on the Lightning.

Depreciation is going to occur whether you take a loan or not, why is that worse if attempting to make more on investing than paying in interest. My brother had a new truck totalled when someone ran a red light and hit him. He doesn't make great money but was able to put a decent down payment. Insurance paid out enough to cover the loan and give him some of his down payment back. Had he paid cash, he'd be no better or worse off.

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
See above. Again, ignores risk, depreciation and tax ramifications. Always better to pay cash for throw-away consumables. Always. No conversations in finance rooms, no discussions about add-ons, no service contracts, no insurance riders, no title issues. Life is so much simpler when one delays gratification that one time up front. Even when the math works marginally as you say, even if it can be done with locked-in yields on both sides of the ledger, the transaction hassle for a few hundred or even a thousand bucks isn't worth the brain damage in my view. I once saved $1k in a special rebate on a Ford truck for taking the low-interest financing deal, and paid off the loan a week later, just to get the $1k price cut. By the time I did all the paperwork, had the credit check blip, wrote the checks, added and withdrew the lien info on my insurance and the title, it simply wasn't worth the time on a per-hour basis. Far better to just pay $1k more and walk away free of hassle. These deals, like the 90-days-same-as cash furniture, TV, appliance, etc. arrangements are intentional financial traps, set by retailers for fees from lenders who EXPECT a significant portion of "borrowers" to fall into their lair and end up with 8% car loans 18%+ consumer loans instead of paying off the balances.

There's a term of art in consumer marketing - the "masses are asses" - it is amazing what you can get away with because people are simply uneducated about how to manage money. It has become part of the American way to have a car payment and a mortgage. 100 years ago NEITHER existed. Yet both are now accepted as a routine thing, with no questioning or understanding that doing either almost always leaves you with less money at the end of your life. Yes, in the case of home mortgages, timing is everything, and there have been periods, even long periods, where leverage created value for mortgage borrowers, but we now know how that can end up too. But cars are not real estate, will be worth less next year than this, ad infinitum.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 6.58.05 PM.png
I agree with your principles, but I wouldn’t say suckers. It is just that we either can’t, don’t or won’t think critically about the issue. I didn’t understand the issue until I got my first (and last!) home loan. I was taught a mortgage was “good” debt and to be honest I believed without really thinking critically about it. After I made my first payment I looked at the statement and recognized that the $760 payment I made (yes, this was a while ago) had only reduced my debt by a couple of dollars. I literally called the bank assuming there must’ve been an error. They sent me an amortization table and my mind was suddenly awakened. I started crunching numbers and realized that I was signed up to pay about twice the price of my home to the bank! How could this be possible? Why would anyone teach us that this was good? Within three years we sold that house and never borrowed money again. I do use a credit card for convenience sometimes, but it is paid off every month without fail. As my savings and assets grew I watched my credit score go down. That made it clear to me that lenders weren’t really judging the borrowers on if they could or would payoff the debt, but on if they had a history of making regular payments to the lender. There is a subtle difference and it is worth considering with a critical mind.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It's rare in today's society to find folks motivated to save and spend rather than spend and pay more, the education system has done a poor job even during our generations, nevermind the BS they young folks are faced with today.

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
There is an interesting lack of high earning tree huggers commenting here. (Which may be a good sign that it’s not just us buying these)We have solar panels that we may not see payoff for, and I have an offgrid setup on the S/O art studio that will NEVER pay for itself, but there is a method to the madness. I believe this trickle down may actually happen. These car makers have to make relatively high profit margin vehicles to get this business started, until the volume is there, to afford to build the rest of the needed vehicle types. We don’t mind putting out bad money for good.

Are we privileged? For sure. I’m a tall white, male. Doesn’t get any more so than that, significant other is an MD. How we’re using that privilege is by trying to maintain the momentum of this movement. Remember the pics people posted of skylines without smog awhile into the pandemic?

We’re the guinea pigs, and we’re ok with that. These trucks don’t quite make sense yet, but it will get there. I want Ford to be successful with this, and Chevy, and Dodge, and every other manufacturer until the fossil fuel vehicles left are only collector’s items.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
As someone who has seen many people become very rich by first getting into debt, I don't think I've read a believable thing in this thread.

Talk to any business owner that had a great idea and needed some capital to start their business and took a loan. Would that person have been better staying as an individual contributor the rest of their life, rather than taking on debt to start their own business?

I personally know many high net individuals who'd have substantially less wealth without first going into debt. Is there risk taking on debt? Absolutely. Is there also potential substantial reward? You bet.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Given the poll results. It's pretty obvious more than half of the group should be sitting up high in our truck, looking over and saying

Ford F-150 Lightning How much $$$ do you make? 1676140716874

Before we get dusted by a 2001 Ford Ranger EV with Tesla plaid 2JZ motors...

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
As someone who has seen many people become very rich by first getting into debt, I don't think I've read a believable thing in this thread.

Talk to any business owner that had a great idea and needed some capital to start their business and took a loan. Would that person have been better staying as an individual contributor the rest of their life, rather than taking on debt to start their own business?

I personally know many high net individuals who'd have substantially less wealth without first going into debt. Is there risk taking on debt? Absolutely. Is there also potential substantial reward? You bet.
I started my 1st bike shop with a credit card. Had enough cash to do the up fit but all my inventory was on credit or floor planning. 1 year in my landlord asked if I wanted to buy the building. He owner financed 100%. I had it paid off in 5 years. Made 5x on it 18 years later. Ran that business for 22 years. Opened 3 others over that time.

I still agree and understand credit can and does hurt many but used wisely can be a great tool.

OP
OP
Kev12345

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500

sure but I don't think anyone is getting rich by getting themselves into a long term car loan!

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
A theme picture for this thread.

Ford F-150 Lightning How much $$$ do you make? Scrooge