• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

ackatack

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
What safety issue, if you know?

All kinds of things are running off the 12v battery when the vehicle is 'off' some of them rquired for the SAFETY of the Li batteries, like cooling/heating.
The high voltage battery needs to be isolated when the vehicle is charging.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I'm in the camp of no OTA updates since July. Last month my dealer checked the OTA dashboard and there were no pending or failed OTA updates, although at the same time FDRS showed about a dozen modules with updates available.

It seems like those of us with the no updates since summer have mostly (all?) MY23 trucks, although most if not all of the OTA updates since summer seem to be something all trucks should get.

Is my unscientific observation correct? Are we all MY23? Mine is a 23 Lariat ER.
The last time we included a poll, there were MY23 owners participating, not sure what the spread was though.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.2.0 -  Small Adjustments 1697561705423

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Great post, but if the OTA update software finds a reason not to push the update through, it should let an owner know what to do about failed updates. And relative to that, I've requested monthly vehicle health reports. They always say my truck is in peachy-keen condition. If there is a problem preventing me from getting updates, it ought to show up in the monthly health report even though my truck is otherwise doing great. Can't find it now, but there used to be a section in my online account that would tell me something about my update status, and it always says that I have the latest updates issued for my particular truck. If updates are deliberately strung out and done in waves, Ford should at least let us know where we stand in the distribution process. I own a DJI drone. It gets frequent OTA updates. Perhaps it's not as complex as a Ford Lightning, but DJI really has its act together to make the update process for the drone and its tablet controller dependable, painless, and smooth. Maybe Ford needs to get some advice from DJI on how to do it...
The difference is, DJI is a technology company and Ford is an auto manufacturer trying to be a technology company. I'm not disagreeing with you......I'm just saying.

Vehicle health reports is a basic checklist to determine if your vehicle is in good operating condition. That and your truck's ability to properly be able to install an OTA is not the same thing. From the hundreds of vehicles I've looked at, 95%+ of OTA's that fail due to SOC conditions are updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited while they install. Most updates do NOT require the vehicle to be inhibited, and these updates tend to have a much higher success rate to install when they are sent out. Of the updates that do NOT require the vehicle to be inhibited, 5% or less of them fail due to low SOC. When non-inhibit updates fail, they fail due to software mismatches, checksum errors, partial downloads, server/cloud errors an my personal favorite, the "eculd" errors that give you zero insight as to the reason why the update failed. Example below is from my own truck:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up OTA 6.2.0 -  Small Adjustments 1697561613832

Updates that do not require the vehicle to be inhibited can install while the vehicle is being driven, and the trigger to get them to install once they are sent to you, is to turn on the vehicle. Because the updates are installing while the vehicle is driving and the 12V battery is charging, it is very rare for them to fail. The focus on vehicle owners having a high SOC all the time to get updates is nothing but a placebo. I could have had a brand new battery with 100% SOC and 100% capacity and my truck could have been on a 40amp charger while that IPC update was trying to install and it would have failed over and over again, because the reason it was failing to install has nothing to do with SOC.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
My last OTA was 7/14/23 PU0306 but it was so time consuming and stressful getting it to go through that I am not too upset not getting anymore updates. If the update process itself is any indication how the mysterious content of the updates may negatively impact the operation of my working truck, may be I am better off not getting them at all. Just enjoy getting from A to B while you can folks.

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Not sure if a coincidence but ever since this update, my truck will no longer tell FordPass about its charging state. It's stuck saying it's charging at 98% (I was getting ready for a trip) but that was over 24 hours ago.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know of a single EV which charges the low voltage battery from the high voltage battery while the vehicle is off.
All kinds of things are running off the 12v battery when the vehicle is 'off' some of them rquired for the SAFETY of the Li batteries, like cooling/heating.
@ackatack. Read the Ford owner's manual. On printed page # 443 of the manual it says the following:

CHARGING THE 12V BATTERY Your vehicle has a high voltage to low voltage energy transfer feature that keeps the 12 volt battery charged by the high voltage battery. If the 12 volt battery level is low, the high voltage battery transfers energy to the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off. (emphasis added by me)

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ners_Manual_version_1.1_om_EN-US.pdf#page=447

I can't find the info in the manual. Maybe it's online in a Ford FAQ section. But as others have stated on the forum, if the LVB SOC drops to 40%, a HVB to LVB transfer is scheduled for 48 hours (2 days) from that point. If the LVB SOC drops to 30%, it's charged immediately from the HVB. Otherwise, you're going to soon have a truck that won't start!

Edit_Update: Aha! See top of PDF page 4 in the following post on the 40% LVB SOC triggering recharge in 48 hours vs. 30% LVB SOC triggering immediate recharge: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/f-150-lightning-electrical-system-overview-–-w-12v-battery-power-and-ground-points.7461/

Last edited:

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
I'm now three updates behind :( . The digital owners manual failed update (incorrect manifest is the error) has put me into update purgatory. I've never been this many updates back before. First World Problems for me, but I'll give my first born for Blue Cruise 1.3 .
I just got the prompt for the digital owners manual today. How far does that put me???

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

ackatack

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
What?
Heat and AC (which run off the HVB) work fine while charging.
@ackatack. Read the Ford owner's manual. On printed page # 443 of the manual it says the following:

CHARGING THE 12V BATTERY Your vehicle has a high voltage to low voltage energy transfer feature that keeps the 12 volt battery charged by the high voltage battery. If the 12 volt battery level is low, the high voltage battery transfers energy to the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off. (emphasis added by me)

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ners_Manual_version_1.1_om_EN-US.pdf#page=447

I can't find the info in the manual. Maybe it's online in a Ford FAQ section. But as others have stated on the forum, if the LVB SOC drops to 40%, a HVB to LVB transfer is scheduled for 48 hours (2 days) from that point. If the LVB SOC drops to 30%, it's charged immediately from the HVB. Otherwise, you're going to soon have a truck that won't start!

Edit_Update: Aha! See top of PDF page 4 in the following post on the 40% SOC in 48 hours vs. 30% immediately: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/f-150-lightning-electrical-system-overview-–-w-12v-battery-power-and-ground-points.7461/
Jim, I got my information from a Ford engineer. The issue I had was the 12v battery died when the vehicle was on the charger and I hadn’t driven it for about a week. What he said was the low voltage battery should charge when the vehicle is connected to the charger. Occasionally, there are software bugs which prevent the 12v from charging on the adapter. The 12v won’t charge from the HVB when the charger is connected because the high voltage contactor is closed to isolate the HVB while it charges. This is what I was told.

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
I'm in the camp of no OTA updates since July. Last month my dealer checked the OTA dashboard and there were no pending or failed OTA updates, although at the same time FDRS showed about a dozen modules with updates available.

It seems like those of us with the no updates since summer have mostly (all?) MY23 trucks, although most if not all of the OTA updates since summer seem to be something all trucks should get.

Is my unscientific observation correct? Are we all MY23? Mine is a 23 Lariat ER.
I’m in the same boat. MY23 Lariat - no updates since PU306 failed. Getting annoyed that no solution has come up in several months.

xwing

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I was on a 45 minute drive yesterday and got the owners manual update. That was the first one since PU306 in July.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The 12v won’t charge from the HVB when the charger is connected because the high voltage contactor is closed to isolate the HVB while it charges.
But 99% of the time my truck is sitting in the garage not charging even when plugged in. Why would Ford design a vehicle with the contactors always closed to the HVB even when the vehicle is not charging? What's closed then instead to actually initiate charging? If, as you describe, the vehicle could never recharge its LVB while sitting around and if you left the vehicle that way for any length of time, you'd have a dead LVB and couldn't start the truck. I've let my truck sit plenty plugged in with Wi-Fi, cellular running, and the security system running and never had a dead 12-v battery.

I presume the contactors are only closed when a charging session is in progress, and otherwise the truck will recharge its LVB from the HVB according to the 40% and 30% rules when the truck is off (and not charging) as I referenced in my previous post: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ota-6-2-0-small-adjustments.17006/post-342941. The post of yours that I referred to in my previous post claimed no vehicle ever runs its HVB for any purpose when the vehicle is off. And Ford also did not qualify its owner's manual statement about exactly when in an off period the LVB will be charged from the HVB. It just said it would happen.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.