• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters
OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Dang! Yes, Lightning can hit twice! No pun intended. I just got stranded for the second time. 1st on December 22 with 13466 mi and 2nd now on May 23 with 21842 mi. I had the module #6 replaced on the 1st occasion because one of its cells failed. Expecting the same now. But still waiting for the shop diagnose. So upsetting. I love the truck but my trust on its powertrain reliability is completely shattered, sadly. Manufactured on May 22. Pattern noticed: when a module gets defective you cannot charge past mid-80s% (it will show 100% on the screen but when the charger is removed, it will immediately show the actual lower SOC). My daily standard recharge level is 90%. Then, once the SOC falls to around mid-60s%, the overall pack voltage colapses to a level unsustainable for regular driving, triggering the limp mode and the system faults. It seems there is something very wrong on early production SK battery modules. Or I’m just very unlucky. Ford, what’s going on?!

IMG_8770_Original.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg
Well this is terrible news. Hopefully the repair time is quicker and the whole battery should be replaced. I’m a May build as well and feel that way(early pack build issue) about the early SK cells.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Dang! Yes, Lightning can hit twice! No pun intended. I just got stranded for the second time. 1st on December 22 with 13466 mi and 2nd now on May 23 with 21842 mi. I had the module #6 replaced on the 1st occasion because one of its cells failed. Expecting the same now. But still waiting for the shop diagnose. So upsetting. I love the truck but my trust on its powertrain reliability is completely shattered, sadly. Manufactured on May 22. Pattern noticed: when a module gets defective you cannot charge past mid-80s% (it will show 100% on the screen but when the charger is removed, it will immediately show the actual lower SOC). My daily standard recharge level is 90%. Then, once the SOC falls to around mid-60s%, the overall pack voltage colapses to a level unsustainable for regular driving, triggering the limp mode and the system faults. It seems there is something very wrong on early production SK battery modules. Or I’m just very unlucky. @Ford Motor Company , what’s going on?!

IMG_8770_Original.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg
Hi there! I can look into your Lightning's charging concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

Robilium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning, Tesla S, X, F350 Diesel
I am joining the club!
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...gh-voltage-battery-warning.13725/#post-319327

big thank you to @RickLightning who educated me on the tow truck criteria. The tow people called me to see if I was picked up and I told them about the policy and they refunded me the 180$

now on way to dealer in tow truck.
Quick tip. To put truck into neutral there is a button near the shifter to do so. Otherwise it keeps braking.

BEV person called while I am In Tow truck. I let him know the fix would no longer be “proactive”. He said he didn’t know what the parts are for but just that the engineers order them directly to the dealer and it would be 5-10 biz days which is special for this program since otherwise they said there is a multi month back order ??

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
So this seems to be mostly early truck builds? Do we think this is related at all to whatever battery problems prompted the production halt in Feb/March? And do we think it is fixed in the May 23 and onward builds?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So this seems to be mostly early truck builds? Do we think this is related at all to whatever battery problems prompted the production halt in Feb/March? And do we think it is fixed in the May 23 and onward builds?
Per Ford totally unrelated, the production halt problem was noted there were 18 trucks affected. I don't think that number ever changed.

This bigger problem is replacing one of the battery modules. Seems to be random and perhaps from many different months of production. I don' know that anyone is tracking VIN's to know if or what any correlation is.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
So this seems to be mostly early truck builds?
"...anyone is tracking VIN's to know if or what any correlation is[?]"

Some tracking in my spreadsheet listed in my signature, just added @Robilium

innerpeaz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
Its a legit question, I love the truck but its been seven fucking weeks. My buyout got approved and I am waiting on details now, if anyone had a recurring issue with the HV battery after a module replacement please reply in this thread
Hey there, same thing is happening to my 2023 Lightning, had for 2 months. What do you mean "buyout got approved"?

innerpeaz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
So my truck has done the same thing, high-voltage battery module failure. What are you guys taking about buyback paperwork. Is this an option for Ford to buy the truck back?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
So my truck has done the same thing, high-voltage battery module failure. What are you guys taking about buyback paperwork. Is this an option for Ford to buy the truck back?
Your states lemon law procedures.

BabZBro

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Pro 2023 Toyota bZ4X
Like an option that states "Yes, and I joined this forum specifically because of this issue" ? I think that's a valuable metric.
I agree need to add that option. We just bought a preowned Pro and are having the same issue as I type.

smaster553

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 CA Route 1 Space White, F150 Lightning
My 2022 Lariat ER has the same problem. The battery module (NL3Z-10D672-A) has to be replaced. I am worried and would start a Ford Buyback. The delaership has it for the last 30 days, the battery has fallen to 12% and I am fraid they do not know how to manage it and if it falls below 10% the battery will be hosed.

EV manufactures suggest to keep battery above 10% all the time.

Why is @Ford Motor Company not taking this serious. They should not be changing the module, but complete battery pack as I am not sure the local techs are trained to change modules.

I am quite sad that a $85K truck is hosed and I am still paying for it.

This is total baloney.

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Well I was hoping I never had to change my poll answer, but today is not my lucky day. At least I was close to the dealership.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GDN