• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Preconditioning battery for L3 charging

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
Hopefully, they will add the functionality and notification on screen similar to how Tesla does. My Tesla will start conditioning the battery about 30 miles from the charging station so it is at optimal temp when I start to charge. There are messages on the screen telling me that is is preconditioning.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Hopefully, they will add the functionality and notification on screen similar to how Tesla does. My Tesla will start conditioning the battery about 30 miles from the charging station so it is at optimal temp when I start to charge. There are messages on the screen telling me that is is preconditioning.
Rivian does this as well. Clearly it can be done.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
100% agree. Some feedback to the user is absolutely proper UX in this instance.

That said, I dont do a lot of DCFC, but I have yet to witness charge derating due to temp conditions. When on a EA 350 or a Tesla Supercharger I get the 170kw 10 minute max every time before tapering to ~150. This has not been in super fridgid conditions but definitely in the 20f to 40f range so not warm either. In recent attempts I have made no effort to use Ford NAV as I despise it and again from my experience havent witnessed the need for DCFC-preconditioning with my truck.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
That said, I dont do a lot of DCFC, but I have yet to witness charge derating due to temp conditions. When on a EA 350 or a Tesla Supercharger I get the 170kw 10 minute max every time before tapering to ~150. This has not been in super fridgid conditions but definitely in the 20f to 40f range so not warm either. In recent attempts I have made no effort to use Ford NAV as I despise it and again from my experience havent witnessed the need for DCFC-preconditioning with my truck.
I think the cold weather charging performance is why people think we have preconditioning. We have large batteries with mediocre charging speeds. Rivian has a similar-size pack that charges over 200 kW, so there’s probably lots of headroom at the cell level. That means we’re less-likely to see thermal throttling than other vehicles with similar speeds and smaller packs.

I’ve noticed slower speeds in hot weather when the battery was above 90º F rolling into the charging station. Preconditioning would have been useful, but my speeds were still reasonable.

bmw325_num99

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I do love the way Tesla does it on my Model 3. Give time for the Ford, maybe we will get the same thing.
Sponsored