• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ford Authority report said affecting ~2800 trucks
Sponsored

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
Ford Authority report said affecting ~2800 trucks
"The safety recall is specifically for vehicles with 20” or 22” all-season tires and is centered on the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

The TPMS light may not illuminate properly which can lead to customers not being provided with adequate warning of a low tire pressure situation. Ford explains that the issue is because the recommended tire cold inflation pressure value in the Body Control Module (BCM) was incorrectly set to 35 psi rather than the correct inflation pressure of 42 psi. Therefore, the warning won't be issued until the tire pressure is lower than 35 psi, 7 lbs lower than the proper warning threshold." - https://insideevs.com/news/594697/ford-f150-lightning-safety-recall/

Pros and XLTs that didn't elect for 20" wheels are not affected.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
The recall would have been for fewer vehicles if someone had seen @Mike G's post on June 9th and started addressing the problem immediately on the assembly line. I have no idea what the number would have been in that case, but a recall for 1000 vehicles is less of a headline than one for 3000 vehicles.

I don't think the recall is a big deal at all, but these are the headlines that people latch onto when a new vehicle comes on the market.
eh, the recall existing is the embarrassment in this case, in my opinion, especially for such an easily avoidable issue.

it's also not known how Ford figured out the issue existed. It's very possible someone saw that post, started the investigation, confirmed the issue existed and was on all vehicles and it was indeed a BCM programming issue, did a test to validate it was fixed for sure with the small programming change, got in touch with NHTSA (there's are built-in "lawyer delays" and "government agency delays" here), went back a forth a couple of times on wording, then released the recall notice, in the time space of three weeks. That's not really that long in this world.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
TPMS has been mandatory on all passenger vehicles in the US since September 2007. If a vehicle was around before 2007 and didn't have TPMS, you'd just use a manual gauge. But if you have a system on the car, you expect it to work.

Ford may be more sensitive to tire pressures than others:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy
Agreed, the interesting thing is the number of vehicles since 2007 that have no longer functional TPMS or changed due to rims and tires, Winter set up or just custom wheels and tires. I just think Ford could correct this and still deliver the vehicle.

Sponsored

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
I just read that the ICE F-150 is 35 PSI. Is that true? I have no idea, but if so, it would be a much more understandable mistake. Not saying it's good or anything, just that I could understand it happening more then.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I took delivery of my truck Monday afternoon. One of the sales managers called me yesterday morning and told me about the issue and said if I brought her in yesterday they'd do it right up. Couldn't have spent more than 20 minutes waiting for him to bring the keys back out to me and told me she was all set.

He did tell me that Ford is really pushing to get this update done ASAP as well. Another Lightning was waiting to be picked up yesterday as well.

Might be easier for Ford to ship them and just do the update as part of the delivery prep.

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
I dont have my truck yet, but the recall showed up on my Ford Pass yesterday. It has since cleared.

Blend April 21
BUILT June 3rd.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I punched my VIN into Ford’s recall checker and it said that there were no recalls. I suspect that it is either because the truck is still at the factory or because it has already been fixed (I have not tried to activate my Ford Pass App for the truck). My truck is a Lariat ER with a 5/26 blend.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I just read that the ICE F-150 is 35 PSI. Is that true? I have no idea, but if so, it would be a much more understandable mistake. Not saying it's good or anything, just that I could understand it happening more then.
Yes, that is correct for many ICE F-150 configurations. But broad strokes don't work here - the F-150 is sold with many tire combinations, some of which use pressures above 35. Some are much above.

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Okay so here's an update on the TPMS BCM Config thing.

I was going to FORSCAN the change, but now I'm not. Don't have to.

First thing that I considered was another post inquiring as to whether FORSCAN actually worked for Lightnings at this point. I do have a FORSCAN license and will find out the answer to that later today but...I saw an OBCC module update pop up yesterday when I checked my VIN in FDRS so I figured I'd do that.

Well in FDRS there is a tool for writing a configuration to a module. So on a hunch I checked my asbuilt on the Motorcraft site and found that the Fordaristas (or is it Fordarinos? :unsure:) had already updated my BCM config in the database with the correct values for my All Season tires (which is "2A").

Here's what that looks like in the HTML online version:
Ford F-150 Lightning RECALL on 2,900 Ford F-150 Lightning -- TPMS not warning of low tire pressure BCM_TPMS_Config_Updated

So while I'm updating the OBCC I'll just run a Configuration of the BCM and that should put the new values into place, no waiting for the recall or OTA (I don't ever get those anyway).

So, takeaway is if you're going to do your OBCC, just run a config on the BCM and you should be G2G. I will update this with any further info should the events warrant.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Update: Done and Done. OBCC went smoothly, BCM config as well. I only saw a small dip in the voltage (.2v) during programming with the powersupply set to 13.6v. (remember, lights and HVAC off for this). I'm using the PL6100 charger/powersupply. Doing any module programming (especially on a BEV) without a powersupply is just asking for it all to end in tears.

I'm off to a fast charger to see if I can tell if there's a difference in the charge curve.

Mike

Last edited:

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Okay so here's an update on the TPMS BCM Config thing.

I was going to FORSCAN the change, but now I'm not. Don't have to.

First thing that I considered was another post inquiring as to whether FORSCAN actually worked for Lightnings at this point. I do have a FORSCAN license and will find out the answer to that later today but...I saw an OBCC module update pop up yesterday when I checked my VIN in FDRS so I figured I'd do that.

Well in FDRS there is a tool for writing a configuration to a module. So on a hunch I checked my asbuilt on the Motorcraft site and found that the Fordaristas (or is it Fordarinos? :unsure:) had already updated my BCM config in the database with the correct values for my All Season tires (which is "2A").

Here's what that looks like in the HTML online version:
BCM_TPMS_Config_Updated.png

So while I'm updating the OBCC I'll just run a Configuration of the BCM and that should put the new values into place, no waiting for the recall or OTA (I don't ever get those anyway).

So, takeaway is if you're going to do your OBCC, just run a config on the BCM and you should be G2G. I will update this with any further info should the events warrant.

Have a great holiday weekend!
So how does Ford find out that the recall has been properly applied to your vehicle if it is done as a DIY? I know that they have reporting requirements to NHTSA which tracks the recalls and affected vehicles by VIN.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So how does Ford find out that the recall has been properly applied to your vehicle if it is done as a DIY? I know that they have reporting requirements to NHTSA which tracks the recalls and affected vehicles by VIN.
The truck's TCU reports to the mothership daily. (That's how Ford knows what updates you do and don't have) Also, when I update the config in FDRS afterwards there's a network scan that communicates with the servers as to the status of modules etc.

Worst case, I drop by the dealership and they mark it as done. They and Ford can see what's going on in the PTS system.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The recall letter said this was supposed to be an OTA fix if you didn't get your BCM configuration updated by your dealer.

Has anybody who the recall applies to, and took delivery before it came into effect, (meaning the dealer didn't update your truck before you got it) gotten notice of the OTA yet?

Was it supposed to happen before the end of the month, or about that time? It's sorta dropped off the radar a bit.

Let us know when you get it and what the OTA "PowerUp" screen looks like so others will know.

Mike
Sponsored