• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regular maintenance?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
It has a lot to do with driving style. If you like to hit it hard and love the feel of literally “burning rubber”, and you brake hard, you’ll definitely go through tires faster than normal.
True driving style is the primary variable. If you are any level of juvenile it’s very hard not to goose it once in a while! That said, all things equal The better consistent traction from the always all wheel drive should help the tire life vs a typical rear wheel drive.
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I saw on the Mach E forum someone posted what looked like a service manual excerpt with both the specs and levels of gear oil required for the motors as well as intervals for changing it. They also stated that while the official service schedule had a pretty long initial interval, due to initial break-in, they recommended a drain and fill of the oil at around 5K miles.

I wish I could find the specs and quantities for the the Lightning's drive motors. I wonder if the specs are the same?

patrickj62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting
It’s basically an inspection and tire rotation. A reputable dealer won’t rip you off if you decide to have them do it.
Is FordPass ignorant or am I? why is it prompting me to to perform 10000 mile service on a lightning. there is no engine oil to change...

2A9F0913-3155-4C5C-813D-83E0307EEDD8.jpeg
Just had my 10K Maintenance... Dealer charged $200 and took 5 hours... there are not many EV trained techs and they seem to work their own hours. Probably will take it somewhere else to rotate the tires and replace my own air filter for the 20K.

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
Update: i just had mine in for a tire rotation, and they told me that it was a good thing that I brought it in because my alignment was so far out. It was going to destroy my tires before long.

I haven't yet even driven my truck off road! I wonder how in the world my alignment could've been that far out already.

Has anyone else had alignment issues after 9500 miles of nearly all highway driving? did I just get taken by my dealer service department?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Just had my 10K Maintenance... Dealer charged $200 and took 5 hours... there are not many EV trained techs and they seem to work their own hours. Probably will take it somewhere else to rotate the tires and replace my own air filter for the 20K.
It’s dealers like that that give them all a bad reputation. I wouldn’t hesitate to flame them in an online review.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Update: i just had mine in for a tire rotation, and they told me that it was a good thing that I brought it in because my alignment was so far out. It was going to destroy my tires before long.

I haven't yet even driven my truck off road! I wonder how in the world my alignment could've been that far out already.

Has anyone else had alignment issues after 9500 miles of nearly all highway driving? did I just get taken by my dealer service department?
I may be playing with fire and need to have mine checked - sitting behind my truck you can put a laser level on the tires and see they have some lean. I know some may be normal, but I've got about 6K miles on it now and haven't had it checked because it drives well - nice and straight. It seemed a bit much though. All I'll say if so and it needs an alignment its been like that since day 1 from the factory. Easy enough for them to have some equipment out of spec or just not get it done well at the factory when starting a new line.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning

I’ve got a bit of feathering that started at about 6k. I’m at about 7300 now and it’s about the same. You noticing any abnormal wear on the tires or pulling prior to the alignment?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Every alignment I’ve had done in at least the last 10 years has been accompanied by a computer printout from the alignment machine showing before and after values. Did you get this? If not, they probably ripped you off.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's like people have never taken their vehicles into dealers before owning an EV.

Step 1 - read scheduled maintenance in manual.
Step 2 - setup appointment for scheduled maintenance with dealer.
Step 3 - verify exactly what is going to be done on work order, and get written estimate of cost on the work order.
Step 4 - go drink a nice cup of coffee while you wait.

#NotRocketScience

OP
OP

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
It's like people have never taken their vehicles into dealers before owning an EV.
Honestly I think this may be the first time I have EVER taken any vehicle to the dealer service department for non-recall work. I don't want to pay the premium they always charge for often times lesser work, and who wants to deal with the same dishonesty you find in the sales department? But alas most local mechanics don't do EV yet.

So I suppose there has historically been been a step 0 on my list. Don't use the service department at the dealership.

I called the dealership to complain about it and they are looking to refund my alignment. We shall see. It was there for a tire rotation and the windshield motor recall. That's it. No one called me to authorize the 'additional work' but my wife picked up the truck and didn't know.

Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Here's the relevant page from the owners manual. Takeaway is that you really don't need to do much maintenance besides rotating/replacing tires and doing some inspections.

10 yr/150,000 miles - electric motor fluid
What is electric motor fluid? Never heard of that before. How much to replace?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That's a good indication that you should take it to a dealership that is trained to service your truck, when you reach 10 years or 150,000 miles.

• Haha
Reactions: cal

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Each motor has a single-speed gearbox. Much less complex than an ICE transmission but still moving parts that need maintaining.
But I like Rick’s answer better.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Where can I read more on this gear box? I probably missed it in Munro’s teardown.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Where can I read more on this gear box? I probably missed it in Munro’s teardown.
The Factory Service Manual

I have a copy, it does not mention a specific volume of oil, "Fill to level with fill port", note each motor has filters, one motor has it located in the pan, similar to the way it's done in ICE Automatic's and the other has a spin on disposable cartridge like on an ICE engine, these as accessible after dropping the skid plate/shields below each motor.
Sponsored