• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Uncommanded Parking Brake Activation

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
This is not what I wanted to write for my first post, but here we go.

I've got a several month old 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER with about 3000 miles ... and the parking brake keeps coming on when the vehicle comes to a stop. It isn't auto hold, the doors are closed, etc. You have to fiddle with the door, shifter, and parking brake button quite a few times before the issue goes away. Not the best experience in a busy intersection.

Unfortunately for me the truck behaved when I took it into the dealership the first time for this issue. Usually it happens a few times a day. It isn't obvious how the condition can be cleared once it happens.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so a video should be better. Does anyone have any ideas what I can ask the dealership to look into when I go back?

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Does this seem to occur when you are stoping on unlevel ground?

There is feature that sets the brake in this situation. It should release automatically thou when you begin to depress the accelerator.

Reactions: x47
OP
OP

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No! It happens when I'm in drive or reverse and pretty much anywhere around town. This video in particular was taken in a flat parking lot, and the parking brake turned on many times even when I remained in gear.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
If it’s not releasing at the lightest of touch on the accelerator then you need to take in to for service and work with them until you can get it to show out.

OP
OP

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To clarify this isn't an issue with auto-hold. That works as expected.

Sponsored
OP
OP

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well there's no immediate evidence of the red liquid of motor death but I'll ask!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Is your seatbelt buckled?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
If it's not just your seatbelt then bring it to the dealer. The parking brake icon is just an icon on my truck. When the word brake comes up in red it usually means a brake fault.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
it looks like the system is not 'seeing' the vehicle as 'in gear', and protecting the possibility of rollback by applying the parking brakes - seems like a small SENSOR that is the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is your seatbelt buckled?
Yep

If it's not just your seatbelt then bring it to the dealer. The parking brake icon is just an icon on my truck. When the word brake comes up in red it usually means a brake fault.
I'm trying to get in touch with them now.

it looks like the system is not 'seeing' the vehicle as 'in gear', and protecting the possibility of rollback by applying the parking brakes - seems like a small SENSOR that is the issue.
That's kind of what I'm wondering.

New information -- as of today the truck is now sometimes showing "Auto-Hold System Fault". Auto-hold was disabled by the computer this morning. When I tried enabling it again it complained it could not do so as a door was open. No doors were open and no door open indicators were on.

Looks like one computer is getting one story and another computer is getting another story.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
When I tried enabling it again it complained it could not do so as a door was open. No doors were open and no door open indicators were on.

Looks like one computer is getting one story and another computer is getting another story.
We've had recent software updates for the "door modules" but this might be an actual failure of the module or wires to switches & sensors.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This is not what I wanted to write for my first post, but here we go.

I've got a several month old 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER with about 3000 miles ... and the parking brake keeps coming on when the vehicle comes to a stop. It isn't auto hold, the doors are closed, etc. You have to fiddle with the door, shifter, and parking brake button quite a few times before the issue goes away. Not the best experience in a busy intersection.

Unfortunately for me the truck behaved when I took it into the dealership the first time for this issue. Usually it happens a few times a day. It isn't obvious how the condition can be cleared once it happens.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so a video should be better. Does anyone have any ideas what I can ask the dealership to look into when I go back?

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
As I read through your post, my first thought was that your truck thinks the door is open. I then saw your second post about not being able to re-enable auto hold because your door is open.

I’m pretty sure that’s where your problem is. A bad switch or wiring problem is telling your truck that you’ve opened the door, and it automatically sets the parking brake for safety. This feature has good intentions, but makes it really frustrating to park my trailer because I’m in and out of the truck several times.

Your truck is acting perfectly normal if you were opening your door when this happens.

OP
OP

x47

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now the question is which switch / wire is bad such that the instrument cluster doesn't think the door is open but another engine control module does.
Sponsored