• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SkyeFox

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, F150 Lightning XLT SR on order
I got the tailgate dampener since today from my dealer. $140ish including install but I used my $110 in points toward it. Figured I'd probably never use the points any other way so I was ok with it being a bit expensive.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
The non-powered tailgates on the lower trims don't have a soft open, just a lift assist. Ford makes a shock that attaches to directly to the hinge behind the right rear tail-light (FL3Z-99406A10-A). Going to see if it's compatible and can prevent the tailgate from slamming down. A few others here have mentioned wanting to try it, but haven't heard explicit confirmation of success yet. For $70 figured it was worth a shot. Will come back with the results.

Heres the stock hinge:
1674920109849.png

Here's what I'm hoping to substitute:
1674920146816.png
I installed the ford one on my truck no issues and works great. A heads up, the torx bolts are on super tight. Take your time with them so you don’t strip them.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
I installed the ford one on my truck no issues and works great. A heads up, the torx bolts are on super tight. Take your time with them so you don’t strip them.
I had the same experience. The part works perfectly, the only downside is that isn't not color matched. The torx bolts were tough, I recommend using a wrench with a decent breaker bar as using an impact could easily strip things.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I had the same experience. The part works perfectly, the only downside is that isn't not color matched. The torx bolts were tough, I recommend using a wrench with a decent breaker bar as using an impact could easily strip things.
I stripped my bolt despite using appropriate tools (torque wrench, correct torx bit with correct fit/depth. No big deal, dealer is fixing for me.

The bolts are way overtightened and mine didn't seem to have any anti-seize on it.

Sponsored

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got my truck back from the detailer after getting it paint corrected and ceramic coated. There were a few imperfections and some very light scratches that came out easily. The ceramic coating keeps the paint nice for years and makes it so much easier to wash. When I dropped my truck off, he was just finishing up an original Lightning. It was pretty cool to see them side by side!

I also hardwired a Uniden R7 and mounted it.

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? IMG_6629

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? tempImagerAqFXd

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? tempImageYu3jq5

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? IMG_6671

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? tempImageKgvwLV

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Installed reflective tailgated letter inserts from Etsy. These match the "Lightning" logo with Lightning blue outline and black lettering. Material appears to be thick vinyl and not the solid plastic of the logo. I like it.

20230128_130704.jpg
That looks nice. The blue doesn't match the blue on the logo in the bottom right though, might just be the picture.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I stripped my bolt despite using appropriate tools (torque wrench, correct torx bit with correct fit/depth. No big deal, dealer is fixing for me.

The bolts are way overtightened and mine didn't seem to have any anti-seize on it.
Mine had anti-seize but were incredibly tight. It took a 24" breaker bar and a lot of bodyweight to get them out. I thought for sure I was breaking something...

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Mine had anti-seize but were incredibly tight. It took a 24" breaker bar and a lot of bodyweight to get them out. I thought for sure I was breaking something...
Yeah, I think my anti-seize was skipped. It was legit smoking as it was slowly starting to loosen. Not a big deal, dealer is taking care of it.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Pretty sure the hinge bolts are red loctited from the factory. I don't anticipate Ford thought we'd all watch to change it.

Sponsored

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
Installed reflective tailgated letter inserts from Etsy. These match the "Lightning" logo with Lightning blue outline and black lettering. Material appears to be thick vinyl and not the solid plastic of the logo. I like it.

20230128_130704.jpg
Could you share a link to the letters?

OrangeCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Installed my tonneau today. Leer soft SR250. Good quality. I’m pleased with it.

Ford F-150 Lightning 🙋‍♂️ What Did You Do To Your Lightning Today? A478113A-A2C7-41E7-A59C-BD9EF709310D