• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Caution using heated seats, rear heated seat fire, [Not an EV Fire]

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Based on those warning above, I'd squarely put the issue as running the heater on high for 4 hours, I don't have the back seat heaters, but no way my front seat heaters would not burn me at high for 4 hours.

You can go social media on all Ford sponsored sites and news outlets for more attention, expect a lot of attention. Or like I said bite the bullet and insurance. I'd assume a good car detailer could clean the interior up and replacement could be limited to seat.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Note the following warnings in the manual. Any apply?

1000003053.jpg
Sharp nails on the dogs??

Were blankets or seat covers to isolate dog hair & dander from the leather seats in use?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Frightening. It's also insane that Ford didn't make an effort to reach YOU, instead you are trying desperately via a forum post to make contact.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Based on those warning above, I'd squarely put the issue as running the heater on high for 4 hours, I don't have the back seat heaters, but no way my front seat heaters would not burn me at high for 4 hours.

You can go social media on all Ford sponsored sites and news outlets for more attention, expect a lot of attention. Or like I said bite the bullet and insurance. I'd assume a good car detailer could clean the interior up and replacement could be limited to seat.
Clean up following a vehicle fire is not that simple. A nearby fire station had a fire. Tow brand new ambulances were in the bay and received smoke damage only. Ambulances were sent back to the manufacturer in an effort to get the smoke smell out. Ambulances were ultimately totaled out because the smoke smell could not be removed.

With the seat fire, I suspect that it would be necessary to strip the interior down to the bare metal frame and start all over. May also need to replace some of the airbags - especially the side curtains since they are hidden in the headliner. Don’t know that any insurance company or Ford would want to do that.

For what it’s worth, my sister had an engine fire in her 18 month old car a number of years ago. The manufacturer pointed her back to her insurance carrier for resolution.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thank you for everyone's input during this stressful situation, the community support has been greatly appreciated.

As an update, the Lighting will be left at the dealer and we have almost finalized a plan to continue on our journey, with a rental.

To best protect everyone, we have been advised to keep updates private and are in touch with Ford Corporate.

Thank you all!

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Damn, sorry to hear this. What a way to start a vacation.

I think that this will work better as an insurance claim, Ford has no incentive to step up to help a single customer. If they start seeing a lot of claims of this sort then insurance can and will lean on them. In your case there are too many other factors to make it a clear warranty claim (even though I agree with you that it *should* be, it is unlikely.)

This is based on the experience of my family aeons ago with sudden acceleration in a GM car that took out our garage door and the back wall. The car took off when Dad started it, I believe it had to do with a loose vacuum hose but it took years for that issue to come to light for that particular car. Trying to deal with GM was fruitless, insurance just came in and fixed stuff and it was all good eventually.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I have a feeling that Ford corporate will handle this for Nate. It will be a good outcome. Call it a hunch :).

For everyone else, no blankets on the seat if you are going to run the heater. As @RickLightning reminds us, when in doubt read the owners manual.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
In a perfect world, the dealer and Ford's warranty coverage should completely make you whole again. To include cleaning the interior and removing any lingering smell. I would never call insurance for ANYTHING until you are positive their money and influence will be required. Remember, if you simply call them to ask a hypothetical question, they know it is you and they will add the call to your record which plays into your renewal rate.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
EMS/Fire was called and there was undoubtably a police report. Insurance already knows that the car was in an incident. It probably won't really matter, I don't see how this incident would predict any future claims.
Sponsored