• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My dealer's website SAYS they have FOUR Lightnings IN-STOCK NOW

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
I'm definitely going to visit them. If they're selling them as inventory, they're made up fake customer orders that they're claiming are cancelled. The mannequin is another interesting find... that shouldn't be listed on their web site until they're allowed to sell it.
dealers often list vehicles that can't be sold - mannequins etc. There's some value in that because for mannequins in particular, it still gets an interested person in the door who can then do a real test drive and potentially place a reservation and eventually an order. but it does mess with people expecting a more traditional "I show up on the lot and see the car and buy the car" kind of model. In some cases the listings are simply "all cars the dealer has ordered and thus will own" and they've never implemented any kind of "can we actually sell this" flag.
Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I have dealers around me that post vehicles on their site and specifically state in the description the it is a demo and not for sale.
Dealers will post anything they have coming on their webpage to get people to phone/come in and then try to sell them something else instead. You wouldn't believe how much it actually works (if it didn't work, they would bother doing it). A lot of people on Forums for a specific vehicle cannot be sold on any other vehicle so we wouldn't get what goes through the head of the people that get "tricked"

I have one dealer in my province that is listing a Lightning Lariat for $150k CND (it is at most $100k MSRP

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm definitely going to visit them. If they're selling them as inventory, they're made up fake customer orders that they're claiming are cancelled. The mannequin is another interesting find... that shouldn't be listed on their web site until they're allowed to sell it.
I read yesterday that Ford is upping the percentage of vehicles that must be sold to the named individual that ordered it. I guess they are seeing a lot of "fake" orders or they screw the person that ordered it so they can mark it up and sell to someone else.

I believe the current percentage was noted as 70% and it is raising to 75% now and 80% later. I don't know why they wouldn't be closer to 90%. Do that many people truly go order and then not take delivery. I don't think so at all.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I read yesterday that Ford is upping the percentage of vehicles that must be sold to the named individual that ordered it. I guess they are seeing a lot of "fake" orders or they screw the person that ordered it so they can mark it up and sell to someone else.

I believe the current percentage was noted as 70% and it is raising to 75% now and 80% later. I don't know why they wouldn't be closer to 90%. Do that many people truly go order and then not take delivery. I don't think so at all.
GIven the long lead times for orders, I and understand a need for some buyers to back out. Higher interest rates could mean the can't afford the payment, they could have lost a job, had a kid, bought a house, or otherwise had their life circumstance change. If you are talking a few months, the number is probably low. Once you are talking about years.....

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E

When the rebates expire, the abandoned orders are going to see a big spike. Also, things take so long right now that many people order 2 or 3 different vehicles at the same time just to give themselves choices..based upon what may arrive first or what is getting better reviews by the time it actually shows up. Until the deposits get bigger or less refundable, then it's smart for people to hedge a little by ordering a few cars at the same time.

I'm sure there are a few dealers ordering under their dog's name and canceling just so they can have an extra one to sell on the lot.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
When the rebates expire, the abandoned orders are going to see a big spike. Also, things take so long right now that many people order 2 or 3 different vehicles at the same time just to give themselves choices..based upon what may arrive first or what is getting better reviews by the time it actually shows up. Until the deposits get bigger or less refundable, then it's smart for people to hedge a little by ordering a few cars at the same time.

I'm sure there are a few dealers ordering under their dog's name and canceling just so they can have an extra one to sell on the lot.
Dealers ordering under their dogs name is no better than people hedging their bets. The dealers will just raise the non-refundable deposits higher than the $500 to $1000 they charge now.

Ford is trying to protect us from the dealer having so many sitting around in inventory that they would put ADM on. If they get 30% abandoned orders that won't help anyone.

The choice needs to be made before you order and I believe for most it is. There are many Ford guys here that would NEVER consider Rivian or Tesla, and I'm OK with that. It is the other way around too, but if you want to hedge your bets, then get burned. The reservation fees are simple and different, that is just holding a place in line, but once you order, you should be in. I do understand and make exceptions for a true order that gets pushed more than 6 months beyond an expected delivery date, but truly even then we shouldn't be talking about more than 10 to 15% of orders.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Another note - everyone will be very close to and know when the rebates are going to expire about the time they get to order. It will not be a big surprise unless they have their head in the sand. There will be 6 months from the date the 200,000 is hit until it drops. Fords Lightning orders are not taking that long to build. There is also someone else in line right behind that person ready to order that isn't dependent on the rebate.

They will sell all they can make - they just need to help enforce a committed order, just like they are doing.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Dealers ordering under their dogs name is no better than people hedging their bets. The dealers will just raise the non-refundable deposits higher than the $500 to $1000 they charge now.

Ford is trying to protect us from the dealer having so many sitting around in inventory that they would put ADM on. If they get 30% abandoned orders that won't help anyone.

The choice needs to be made before you order and I believe for most it is. There are many Ford guys here that would NEVER consider Rivian or Tesla, and I'm OK with that. It is the other way around too, but if you want to hedge your bets, then get burned. The reservation fees are simple and different, that is just holding a place in line, but once you order, you should be in. I do understand and make exceptions for a true order that gets pushed more than 6 months beyond an expected delivery date, but truly even then we shouldn't be talking about more than 10 to 15% of orders.
Just did a walk through their lot. It's a massive lot, so it took nearly 30 minutes to see it all.

THERE WERE ZERO in the lot.

As I walked away, a sales rep spotted me, so I told him what the website said about there being 4 in stock. He said those MIGHT be customer orders that are flagged as on their way because every vehicle that arrives shows up on the website, even if it's linked to a customer order.

However, he wanted me to go inside to see the status in case they were "cancellations".

I understand why some of the 200,000 or so orders may be toe in the water customers who might cancel, but since you the only ones that converted to orders had small windows of time to order back in January, I doubt any real cancellations took place.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Just did a walk through their lot. It's a massive lot, so it took nearly 30 minutes to see it all.

As I walked away, a sales rep spotted me, so I told him what the website said about there being 4 in stock. He said those MIGHT be customer orders that are flagged as on their way because every vehicle that arrives shows up on the website, even if it's linked to a customer order.

However, he wanted me to go inside to see the status in case they were "cancellations".

I understand why some of the 200,000 or so orders may be toe in the water customers who might cancel, but since you the only ones that converted to orders had small windows of time to order back in January, I doubt any real cancellations took place.
They arent wrong about customer orders showing up. When we bought my wife's Toyota Corolla Cross last month (her other car was a total loss) it showed up on the dealers webpage even though it was already reserved and had a deposit from us.
The "go inside" is them trying to get you in to sell something else.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
It wasn't there, perhaps they push anything "In-production" to their website to inflate inventory.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
From my experience with this tracking system…. You will be driving your Truck for about a week before it checks off delivered
Yes, I've read that a hundred times on this and two other forums, remains that THEY NEED TO FIX IT if they go to MODEL E in 2025

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

Thanks for the walk through and follow up. Got to keep these guys honest. I don't like it, but I know it is their twisted marketing. It is a HIGH percentage - just get someone on the lot and they can sell them anything else. Those trucks on their site get people to stop. Another reason we need to be teaching much better finance, etc in high school.
Sponsored