• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

Dakovich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning LER
I find the 1PD in my Lightning to be extremely smooth and easy to feather. The only time it’s given me an issue is if/when I want to reposition my foot on the pedal.

I keep reading about people thinking it’s jerky, and I can’t help but think that 1. Something is wrong with their truck, or 2.They just aren’t able to modulate their feet well, which I can fully understand.

In either case, just switch off 1PD and Ford has basically given you almost full regen in a normal accelerator and brake pedal mode. The truck does EV things without you even knowing it, that’s pretty cool!
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I find the 1PD in my Lightning to be extremely smooth and easy to feather. The only time it’s given me an issue is if/when I want to reposition my foot on the pedal.

I keep reading about people thinking it’s jerky, and I can’t help but think that 1. Something is wrong with their truck, or 2.They just aren’t able to modulate their feet well, which I can fully understand.

In either case, just switch off 1PD and Ford has basically given you almost full regen in a normal accelerator and brake pedal mode. The truck does EV things without you even knowing it, that’s pretty cool!
I am in the other side.

I tried 1PD but can't get used to the heavy regen.

Coming from a paddle shifting, selectable regen PHEV, the Lightning is way too harsh for bumper to bumper driving in the city which is 90% of my drive.

Until Ford changes the regen by allowing for different levels of regen, I can't turn mine on.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I am in the other side.

I tried 1PD but can't get used to the heavy regen.

Coming from a paddle shifting, selectable regen PHEV, the Lightning is way too harsh for bumper to bumper driving in the city which is 90% of my drive.

Until Ford changes the regen by allowing for different levels of regen, I can't turn mine on.
oh gross, I had that paddle shift bullshit on the Audi Etron and it was awful. I was actually glad that Ford didn’t go in that direction. However, I do agree there should be a range for intensity to ease people in. I am sure this will be the first EV for a lot of people.

Dakovich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning LER
I’m about 90% city also, I still think it’s very smooth and easy to feather to a stop….but it’s my first experience with 1PD. I’m sure if I had previous experience with a different system I’d probably have different feelings about it. I definitely could see how having varying degrees of engagement would be super helpful, though.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
One pedal is great in the Lightning - better in pretty much all cases than my 2015 Model S. It is strong enough in most situations to bring the truck to a stop. There was an adjustment period as the Model S does not have any regen below 5 mph, and the overall amount of regen was less. Initially it was a bit jerky as I adjusted, but I like it a lot now. One pedal mode is one of the best, but unmentioned EV features, especially when dealing with traffic.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I came from a Bolt EV and I got used to 1PD very quickly in that car and only ever used 1PD while driving it. That said, I've been driving traditional in the F-150. The tuning of the transition from throttle to brake isn't as good as the Bolt. It feels a little odd to me, even after driving almost exclusively one pedal over the last year. I'm still on the fence on whether I'll use 1PD in the Lightning.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
After reading a post on brake dust
intrigued by this - can anyone link the thread? My wheel wells are grey-black, and in a white truck it’s a mess

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I am brand new to EV's and the concept of 1PB

On 8/4 when I left the dealership it was turned off and probably was a smart set up considering my inexperience with it.

Friday 8/5, I turned it on along with a bunch of other tweaks & customizations, I left normal performance mode on to allow myself to develop the proper foot & feathering techniques on the accelerator pedal, I think this skill is key to efficient, graceful operation of the truck.

Driving in stop & go traffic, I try as I always do with any vehicle to optimize avoiding the next red light if a string of them are ahead of me, by keeping the pace easy instead of hole-shot launch mode.

My foot is getting a better workout refining the tiny amount lift action need to pseudo coast as the traffic ahead of me begins rolling again.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I believe the Regen and Hold should be one setting. If you are going to use OPD and heavy regen, you want the truck to do auto hold for you too.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I believe the Regen and Hold should be one setting. If you are going to use OPD and heavy regen, you want the truck to do auto hold for you too.
Yes, I discovered that setting a few days ago, turned it on too.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
oh gross, I had that paddle shift bullshit on the Audi Etron and it was awful. I was actually glad that Ford didn’t go in that direction. However, I do agree there should be a range for intensity to ease people in. I am sure this will be the first EV for a lot of people.
That's funny - I keep reaching for the non-existent paddle regen paddles when I drive the Lightning.

Guess that comes with 4 years of muscle memory!

If @FordMotorCompany is listening - allow the driver to change regen levels for people like me...

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That's funny - I keep reaching for the non-existent paddle regen paddles when I drive the Lightning.

Guess that comes with 4 years of muscle memory!

If @FordMotorCompany is listening - allow the driver to change regen levels for people like me...
Not having used something like the paddle shifters it is hard to understand why. I am not familiar with them, but what is the difference in just using the pedal to feather off to slow down and then stop? It is an infinite amount of regen capability - use as much or as little as you need with the pedal.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Not having used something like the paddle shifters it is hard to understand why. I am not familiar with them, but what is the difference in just using the pedal to feather off to slow down and then stop? It is an infinite amount of regen capability - use as much or as little as you need with the pedal.

You basically end up using your hands to brake. I hated it, paddle shifters are cool though in an ICE car.

Reactions: GDN

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
So having driven 4 years with regen paddles, it was easy to go from light to moderate to heavy regen by shifting them up and down.

The Lightning has a very heavy regen when you take your foot off the pedal and I feel it jerks to a stop - very different than what I am used to.

Using 1PD, trying to feather the accelerator is tough in bumper to bumper traffic with lots of vehicles cutting in front of you hoping that the brakes will take hold quick enough, but doesn't so I still have to brake.

Very unnatural for me.

Wish Ford would make the 1PD regen adjustable - I could handle a light regen and light braking.

Just that where I drive, I look like a first timer learning how to drive a stick shift - lurching, braking, repeat...

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I know not all models have it and I'm not looking down, but when in heavy traffic depending on where you are have you tried the adaptive cruise for stopping and starting? It is very good at what it does in the two times I've used it.
Sponsored