• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power

Which update loaded just prior experiencing this issue?

• Priority Update: 23-PU0105-DC-CHG2: Improved DC Fast Charging

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priority Update: 22-PU0929-BLM-UP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

liamcrowe

First Name
Liam Crowe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-E FE ER
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hey all,

Got my Lightning in July and it's been great so far. Just a few days ago, though, while on the highway, it stopped sending power to the electric motors. Had to wait 5 hours for a tow truck. It gave me a signal on the dash, and I got a notification in my app (attached). It wouldn't let me drive, and I was stuck on the side of the highway. It's been at the dealer for a few days and they haven't even started working on it. Not a great experience so far, but regardless, why did this happen? It wasn't even that hot outside, and I wasn't pushing it to the limit or anything. Just miraculous.

Thanks,
Liam

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power 72442C9C-EDE7-4806-BFEB-B24C2F12DF4A_1_105_c

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power 2B7DDDA0-3912-4ACE-A9C0-CDBFCC15E68E_1_102_o
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Sadly you are not the first... see the list of "Similar threads" at the bottom of the page

Reactions: GDN

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
wait for it......"Hi Liam sorry to hear about your complete loss of motive power and depressing experience with Roadside Assistance. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your brand new Ford Lightning. Please send us a DM with your VIN".......etc. etc.

How'd I do? Did I get the tone just right? I've been practicing.... :p

F150lights

First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Got my truck Saturday and the same day after 23 miles of driving had the same issue. ..towed the truck to ford and today they told me one of the battery cell is dead and it takes 7 days to get a part. Not cool

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey all,

Got my Lightning in July and it's been great so far. Just a few days ago, though, while on the highway, it stopped sending power to the electric motors. Had to wait 5 hours for a tow truck. It gave me a signal on the dash, and I got a notification in my app (attached). It wouldn't let me drive, and I was stuck on the side of the highway. It's been at the dealer for a few days and they haven't even started working on it. Not a great experience so far, but regardless, why did this happen? It wasn't even that hot outside, and I wasn't pushing it to the limit or anything. Just miraculous.

Thanks,
Liam

72442C9C-EDE7-4806-BFEB-B24C2F12DF4A_1_105_c.jpeg

2B7DDDA0-3912-4ACE-A9C0-CDBFCC15E68E_1_102_o.jpeg
Hi there, Liam. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your F-150 Lightning. Can you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I'd be happy to look into things on my end!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
wait for it......"Hi Liam sorry to hear about your complete loss of motive power and depressing experience with Roadside Assistance. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your brand new Ford Lightning. Please send us a DM with your VIN".......etc. etc.

How'd I do? Did I get the tone just right? I've been practicing.... :p
On the one hand you win COTD because the official reply from Ford was almost EXACTLY what you wrote with the same tone. Bravo.

On the other hand, as a current GM product owner, at least Ford *seems* to give a crap, unlike other companies that just don't care about your experience post purchase...

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
This morning I received the same info. The vehicle will not travel faster than 15 mph so I will be towing it to dealer this morning. This is FRUSTRATING!!!!
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power E95F9B6B-1586-402F-B9EC-0587F43CCAD6

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
This morning I received the same info. The vehicle will not travel faster than 15 mph so I will be towing it to dealer this morning. This is FRUSTRATING!!!!
E95F9B6B-1586-402F-B9EC-0587F43CCAD6.jpeg
Ouch!

Sponsored

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
Got my truck Saturday and the same day after 23 miles of driving had the same issue. ..towed the truck to ford and today they told me one of the battery cell is dead and it takes 7 days to get a part. Not cool
I received info from my service rep at dealer the same info you received about a possible cell replacement. Upon a BECM module update, he said the light was gone but after to speaking to Ford engineers they told him they will get back to him soon to see if the cell should be replaced. I will ask him what the code was after the initial diagnostic test.

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Any new news? Seeing all these threads is making me worry. There aren’t that many Lightnings out there

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I sent the OP a DM seeking an update.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
DM from OP indicates battery was replaced, hopefully we will hear more details of the experience .

OP
OP

liamcrowe

First Name
Liam Crowe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-E FE ER
Occupation
Network Engineer
Sorry for not responding with their resolution soon enough, got distracted.

The Ford rep sent me a DM asking for basic information. I had already gotten it to my local ford dealer, and they had mediocre communication at best which is typical of them, but still more than I'd expect of any other car manufacturer which is good.

They ended up replacing my entire battery, and I had a loaner car for about a week or two? I wasn't charged anything, and it's been normal since then. No further issues to my knowledge.

Sad to know this is happening to other people as well. They didn't tell me what was happening or why it was happening, just that they had to replace the battery and they'd let me know when it was ready. Wish they had let me know if I did something wrong or something.
Sponsored