• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Price Protection After the Fact People

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
I kind of did I bitched about the sales tax on the 5k so they upped my trade in value 300 bucks.

So it was just an appeasement and less of a screwing on my trade lol
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I just got my 5k price protection check check in the mail from my dealer. It's been such a strange process. I'm really surprised no one from the dealership thought to contact me saying the check was on the way, particularly after the amount of communication I've had with them about it over the last two months. They never confirmed I'd get the check and everyone at the dealership seemed adamant the money wouldn't come through but if it did they'd send it my way.

Has anyone been able to get the extra sales tax back for the unnecessary $5,000 we paid? Is the price protection check a rebate or is it a price adjustment for being overcharged in the first place?
Tax thing would be nice but I think they would need to write up a whole new contract so not likely

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Tax thing would be nice but I think they would need to write up a whole new contract so not likely
I understand the practicality of not getting the money back but it does strike me as illegal. You can't charge a customer more tax than the tax rate and then keep it. The taxes customers pay to the dealership on sales is to pay the government the tax on the sale. When the accounting is done at the end of the year, the tax liability of the dealer's sales is assessed and taxes paid by customers are applied to that and the dealership either pays additional taxes, or gets a refund, depending on other tax liabilities and adjustments through the year.

The tax liability calculated at the end of the year will be calculated based on the processed cost of the vehicles, which should reflect the corrected (protected) price.

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
The tax liability calculated at the end of the year will be calculated based on the processed cost of the vehicles, which should reflect the corrected (protected) price.
Totally agree with the principles you describe. In an effort to help clip the debate I'll add that local (state) law controls: E.g., here in California the dealerships pay sales tax on the maximum stated price before discounts/rebates.

Reactions: s_c

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I understand the practicality of not getting the money back but it does strike me as illegal. You can't charge a customer more tax than the tax rate and then keep it. The taxes customers pay to the dealership on sales is to pay the government the tax on the sale. When the accounting is done at the end of the year, the tax liability of the dealer's sales is assessed and taxes paid by customers are applied to that and the dealership either pays additional taxes, or gets a refund, depending on other tax liabilities and adjustments through the year.

Yeah I understand the logic and agree. It all depends on how they write that $5000 in their books.

Sponsored

alexose

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 C-Max, 1999 F150
Chiming in to say that I'm a category 2 person, and it's been well over 60 days since my purchase date with no word from my dealer.

I did have a case open with @Ford Motor Company 's marketing department that resulted in a supervisor telling me that I am entitled to the $5000 Price Protection. But, they provided no written guidance and closed the case before any of it was resolved.

No luck trying to contact the regional rep. I tried via Linkedin (can't find anyone) and through my dealer (they won't share contact information) and through Ford corporate (same).

Honestly, I'm just tired of thinking about it. I've burned so many hours just trying to get an answer. My final effort on this will be to get an audience with the dealership GM, and if that turns out the way I expect it will, I guess my only recourse I guess is to get the state AG involved. And to never buy a Ford product from a dealership again, which is already a given.

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Chiming in to say that I'm a category 2 person, and it's been well over 60 days since my purchase date with no word from my dealer.

I did have a case open with @Ford Motor Company 's marketing department that resulted in a supervisor telling me that I am entitled to the $5000 Price Protection. But, they provided no written guidance and closed the case before any of it was resolved.

No luck trying to contact the regional rep. I tried via Linkedin (can't find anyone) and through my dealer (they won't share contact information) and through Ford corporate (same).

Honestly, I'm just tired of thinking about it. I've burned so many hours just trying to get an answer. My final effort on this will be to get an audience with the dealership GM, and if that turns out the way I expect it will, I guess my only recourse I guess is to get the state AG involved. And to never buy a Ford product from a dealership again, which is already a given.
Have you pushed this yet?

Anyone else out there have any updated data points? Whether you received a check or have asked about a check and been told it's coming or not coming?

I'm at just over a month and will be looking for a check soon.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Unless I'm missing something, there's really only 3 scenarios that price protection pans out:
  1. Dealer honors price protection at point of sale, dealer is out difference to invoice under DPS until rebate
  2. Dealer chargers buyer invoice price, receives price protection rebate from Ford in DPS (60-90 days), forwards check to buyer (most of us here)
  3. Dealer chargers buyer invoice price, pleads ignorance to price protection, still pockets price protection rebate automatically paid out by Ford
Seems #3 is happening more and more.

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
My dealer reassured me a couple weeks ago that $5k check should issue sometime in March. I'll report back when finalized.

BoltUp

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
I was a category 2 buyer that was charged invoice price (minus private cash offer) by dealer on Jan. 31st sale date. GM of sales promised that if dealership received price protection funds associated with sale they would forward them to me. I received a call today (53 days after sale) from dealership GM of sales informing me that dealership received $4,100 in price protection from FMC and they will be sending out a check to me. Kudos to the dealership for their integrity. FMC could have avoided a lot of headaches and heartaches with better communication between FMC and dealers; as well as FMC and purchaser on how the price protection offer was going to be administered.

Sponsored

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
I was a category 2 buyer that was charged invoice price (minus private cash offer) by dealer on Jan. 31st sale date. GM of sales promised that if dealership received price protection funds associated with sale they would forward them to me. I received a call today (53 days after sale) from dealership GM of sales informing me that dealership received $4,100 in price protection from FMC and they will be sending out a check to me. Kudos to the dealership for their integrity. FMC could have avoided a lot of headaches and heartaches with better communication between FMC and dealers; as well as FMC and purchaser on how the price protection offer was going to be administered.
$4100 instead of $5000 price protection? That's strange... did they say why you didn't get the other $900? Better than nothing but I wonder if they'll keep short changing the 2023 model folks now... :/

BoltUp

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
$4100 instead of $5000 price protection? That's strange... did they say why you didn't get the other $900? Better than nothing but I wonder if they'll keep short changing the 2023 model folks now... :/
It was an XLT model. $4,000 price increase and $100 price increase on delivery charge.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
It was an XLT model. $4,000 price increase and $100 price increase on delivery charge.
Ah ok, missed that was for XLT! Thanks :) Here's to hoping my Pro model is handled similarly

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
Huh? Model doesn’t matter. They all went up $5k.