• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reduced power with no Fault code

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I had this happen twice last winter (that I recall) but haven't seen it since. I always use calm screen on the dash so I don't notice reduced power unless it's noticeable while driving. 56% is definitely noticeable while driving. I don't recall the conditions that led up to the event but both times it was resolved by shutting off the truck and restarting.

I'm pretty sure I posted about this when it originally happened but i couldn't find it.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Happened this morning. Truck set to charge overnight from 30% to 100%. 48a L2. Ambiant temp was 2 degC.

Truck charged and preheated then once I was rolling I noticed the 56%>51% power available, tried 2 quick power off/on but no fix. Soc stayed at 100% for 20 kms nearly then dropped, showing now 97% SOC after 25kms driven. Got to work and shut off for 7 minutes, turned back on and back at 100% power and test drove it fine.

With the other dozen reports on this thread, we can be fairly certain it has to do with a charge cycle.

It's way too common to be a glitch, it seems to me to be some type of protective feature, possibly due to an overvoltage/imbalance in the cells while charging or maybe the contactor won't operate with an out of range voltage.

Ford should have enough data by now to know what's going on.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I encountered this for the first time last night. I didn't recall leaving my home with less than 100% but at some point during the drive it felt sluggish and I noticed that my power had reduced with no indicated faults.

For those who got this before, it's not related to a bad battery module, is it?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I encountered this for the first time last night. I didn't recall leaving my home with less than 100% but at some point during the drive it felt sluggish and I noticed that my power had reduced with no indicated faults.

For those who got this before, it's not related to a bad battery module, is it?
If there were no faults, no wrench, and the power reduction went away after you turned it off and back on, it was not the battery. It is just this software glitch that is being investigated

eopiela

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Attorney
This has started happening to me on the first drive after L2 charging. If I power the whole truck down and wait until all screens go dark then power up it resets to 100%.

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
This has started happening to me on the first drive after L2 charging. If I power the whole truck down and wait until all screens go dark then power up it resets to 100%.
You can get this issue to repeat?

eopiela

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Attorney
Absolutely. Repeats once or twice a week; every time after charging. No other time.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Absolutely. Repeats once or twice a week; every time after charging. No other time.
To add to this. I've seen this happen with both fast charging and level 2 at home with the pro and the travel chargers. I do have to say that since I brought my truck to the dealer to have them investigate my charging issues. They did some update and I have not seen any more reduced power events.

YellowGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
@Hellion @draydray55 @eopiela

check my post history. I’ve been able to replicate this and have a cause and work around.

This happens when the car is waiting for preferred times to charge, it is at the charge target, and you approach the vehicle with some specific things
Apple AirTags would make sense. I only have ever had it happen when my wife was with me and she has one in her purse. I’ll try this out later when I have a chance.

Sponsored
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt
Happened to me this morning

I couldn't get out of my driveway due to snow even though my mom's tiny scion had no trouble. after I finally got out by doing some extra shoveling I'm driving along and noticed it's in rear wheel drive mode only. Front motor is completely disengaged, soc is in the 80's battery power 64 and got to 66. There's no power to it and regen isn't doing anything in the front. So I'm not really sure if me slipping the wheels a lot trying to get out of the driveway caused it to go into a one motor mode or if that was the reason why I couldn't get out because it was in rear wheel drive only which has no traction.

There were no error messages or fault codes even in my app. And what's even more odd is since June I have received I believe 23 total error messages that say powertrain malfunction reduced power and it was getting to a point where it was popping up once a day. Every time the air would pop up that was actually no reduced power. I would check the power meter. Both front and rear were having power and we're working with regen like there was no changes at all. But then these error messages stopped as of December 7th when I got the newest software updates. So I haven't had the powertrain malfunction error since December and now I have an actual powertrain malfunction and there's no error message.

All in all this was very very discouraging cuz it's snowy and slippery outside and I live on a hill and being in real-wheel drive only was not fun and actually pretty dangerous

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Happened to me this morning

I couldn't get out of my driveway due to snow even though my mom's tiny scion had no trouble. after I finally got out by doing some extra shoveling I'm driving along and noticed it's in rear wheel drive mode only. Front motor is completely disengaged, soc is in the 80's battery power 64 and got to 66. There's no power to it and regen isn't doing anything in the front. So I'm not really sure if me slipping the wheels a lot trying to get out of the driveway caused it to go into a one motor mode or if that was the reason why I couldn't get out because it was in rear wheel drive only which has no traction.

There were no error messages or fault codes even in my app. And what's even more odd is since June I have received I believe 23 total error messages that say powertrain malfunction reduced power and it was getting to a point where it was popping up once a day. Every time the air would pop up that was actually no reduced power. I would check the power meter. Both front and rear were having power and we're working with regen like there was no changes at all. But then these error messages stopped as of December 7th when I got the newest software updates. So I haven't had the powertrain malfunction error since December and now I have an actual powertrain malfunction and there's no error message.

All in all this was very very discouraging cuz it's snowy and slippery outside and I live on a hill and being in real-wheel drive only was not fun and actually pretty dangerous
Has 23B57 been (properly) performed on your truck?

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Fyi. I haven't had any issues with this since the update and service visit. I see consistent reduction in power when my battery levels drop below 25% soc. It usually goes down to 96%.

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F250
I just had this same thing happen to me. Driving home about 80 miles into a trip. I pulled over shut the truck down, did a soft reset. Started back up and no issues. Based on reading the original post I checked the power distribution display. No power to the front, no regeneration to the front. One pedal drive was off and not selectable. Battery was at 56% all temperatures were normal.
Sponsored