• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. First video of Lightning charging at Supercharger CCS Magic Dock

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
On top of $12.99 per month?! WHOLLY!
I think that rate doesn’t require the monthly fee. If you pay the 12.99, you get something like a 0.10 reduction in rate. Read this on the Mach-E forum.
Sponsored

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It is a money grab - who leaves money sitting on the table? Not one of us on this forum would.

Lets be honest - the government giving $7500 to people that make up to $150K or $300K to buy an EV is just the same. It is each of us grabbing it vs a company. Its absurd that we are subsidized like that.

This isn't political, I'm just saying, who the hell leaves money on the table? At least Tesla is doing something with it. I know many successfully charge daily at EA, but there is no secret the number of problems they have.

Tell me the difference of how the two companies have used and made a difference with the money they've received. At least Tesla is making the most of it.
Again, $7500 for my lifetime of taxes, so, no, it’s not the same.

Billions to retrofit a $100 part and making inconvenient to charge at a Tesla station. Of course this is not Tesla’s fault but the Governments fault for having non users give out free money without putting exactly in writing what Tesla needs to do. Tesla has done their part, now they can just sit and laugh at non-Teslas arguing with Tesla owners at the inconvenience.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
Out here in the Rocky Mountain west we have reliable Electrify America or state operated CCS coverage everywhere Tesla is, except for parts of Wyoming, a couple parts of eastern Montana, and on I-25 between Albuquerque and Las Cruces. These CCS charging gaps will be filled within the next year, so it is not huge improvement to open up the Tesla network out in this part of the world.

That being said, it is always nice to have a back up, if you need it. If Tesla wants to charge me $.50 a kW to use the Sheridan, WY supercharger while on a road trip to Billings from Colorado to see family, then I am going to pay it. Convenience costs, and I am more than cool with that. I would rather save half a days drive to drive straight north from Colorado to Montana via I-25 than detour through Utah and Idaho like I do now.

What I am excited for is the stories that will come to light of people getting pissed at one another for breaking "the code" at a Tesla supercharger. I can't wait for the first story to be put on Youtube or on social media of people complaining about someone taking the wrong space, or taking two spaces and a fight breaks out. That will be gold!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Sign up only when you need it, I do the same thing with EA. And if you do that for only when you take a trip the question becomes, would you pay $5 to not have to worry about whether the charger is working or not?
I can only speak for my situation, EA reliability is largely dependent on locations. The one in El Paso has very good ratings on PlugShare. So for me, it comes down to time spent driving across the city. I'm looking at about an extra hour of my time to go there vs the Tesla. So the cost difference needs to beat an hour of my time. If I combine some errands on my trip, as the EA location is a Walmart, it becomes much less.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Out here in the Rocky Mountain west we have reliable Electrify America or state operated CCS coverage everywhere Tesla is, except for parts of Wyoming, a couple parts of eastern Montana, and on I-25 between Albuquerque and Las Cruces. These CCS charging gaps will be filled within the next year, so it is not huge improvement to open up the Tesla network out in this part of the world.

That being said, it is always nice to have a back up, if you need it. If Tesla wants to charge me $.50 a kW to use the Sheridan, WY supercharger while on a road trip to Billings from Colorado to see family, then I am going to pay it. Convenience costs, and I am more than cool with that. I would rather save half a days drive to drive straight north from Colorado to Montana via I-25 than detour through Utah and Idaho like I do now.

What I am excited for is the stories that will come to light of people getting pissed at one another for breaking "the code" at a Tesla supercharger. I can't wait for the first story to be put on Youtube or on social media of people complaining about someone taking the wrong space, or taking two spaces and a fight breaks out. That will be gold!
I mean they fight amongst each other now for Elon’s approval so it’s going to happen.

If anything this should light a fire under EA to get their shit together or it will be RIP EA.

I can see Tesla eventually making a CCS section and a Tesla Section with new stations.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I can only speak for my situation, EA reliability is largely dependent on locations. The one in El Paso has very good ratings on PlugShare. So for me, it comes down to time spent driving across the city. I'm looking at about an extra hour of my time to go there vs the Tesla. So the cost difference needs to beat an hour of my time. If I combine some errands on my trip, as the EA location is a Walmart, it becomes much less.
I was thinking more road trips, but that certainly applies as well. We’re going to be driving the length of the coast in a couple of months, and for me I don’t use those chargers to know what’s ok and what’s not. In that situation I’d gladly pay the $12.99 to be sure I’m not hunting for working stations.

What I’ve done in the past was called ahead to see the last charge on the EA stations, but that grows old fast.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I mean they fight amongst each other now for Elon’s approval so it’s going to happen.

If anything this should light a fire under EA to get their shit together or it will be RIP EA.

I can see Tesla eventually making a CCS section and a Tesla Section with new stations.
I will say, please don't judge all of us (Tesla owners) by those 40 or so that think Twitter is the new way of life and they just beg to be recognized and validated by Musk. I would like to see them silenced as much as anyone.

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning

A little competition is good for everyone, so hopefully it does get Electrify America to spend a little more money on keeping chargers in working order. I realize it is hard to keep a charger up and running in a remote rural part of the US like Colby, KS or Amarillo, TX, but spend the damn money and pay some one to go out there and fix the broken chargers.

I disagree with you on Tesla segregating sections in new stations. The have zero reason to do so since it will not help them sell more Tesla's, and it will cost them more money to install a location with that layout. I think they will identify medium to low use locations in relatively easy to access locations to upgrade. Does Tesla really have a desire to upgrade chargers in Goodland, KS when the ROI would be measured in years? I am not really sure.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I was thinking more road trips, but that certainly applies as well. We’re going to be driving the length of the coast in a couple of months, and for me I don’t use those chargers to know what’s ok and what’s not. In that situation I’d gladly pay the $12.99 to be sure I’m not hunting for working stations.

What I’ve done in the past was called ahead to see the last charge on the EA stations, but that grows old fast.
The only road trip in my future has mostly reliable EA stations every 75-100 miles. I might change my tune if we try to plan a CA vacation though. Will be very interesting to see how the roll out continues.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you honestly think people will care about paying attention not to block more stalls? That's not going to happen. Your gas station analogy doesn't quite apply here. It rarely happens that you will get blocked to use a gas station stall because of poor utilization but even if it does, it will only take few mins, here you are talking about waiting 30-40 mins if there is poor utilization. Unless they come up with a solution, no it's not going to be ok.
Yes. I think most of the time it won't be an issue at all and occasionally when it is an issue people will mostly cooperate.

I'm not sure why there are so many people bitching here. This is a HUGE HUGE benefit to Lightning owners and yet (some) people are now whining like little girls about how long the f'n cables are. One person on this thread even called it a 'money grab' like it's some evil plot to hurt Lightning owners or something.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Keep in mind GM/EVGO are partnering with Pilot for a number of CCS stations at Pilot/Flying J truck stops.

So there will hopefully be 3 options for travel coverage-- EA, Tesla, Ultium/GM/EVGO.

(Plus any random state provided or regional/local chargers)

I prefer to look at Tesla as a backup to EA. My personal preference is NOT to give Elon any money unless I have to...

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
This will certainly help EV drivers and I don’t think the prices are bad. The ones in NY are very competitive after EA raises their prices in a few days, and I’ll gladly pay a little more to know that it will work when I get there. Competition is good and the Supercharger network will likely be expanding to accommodate increased EV adoption when manufacturers offer more affordable vehicles.
EA Price increase
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. First video of Lightning charging at Supercharger CCS Magic Dock 69d6133f-ee73-4036-997a-2718d44b3435

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Maybe Tesla will design newer stations with double spacing for one or all dispensers, that way none of the terminals are blocked, of course it increases the land rent cost of operation but they would recover potential missed revenue, this concept might be best for high demand locations where utilization is above 75%.

Where the utilization is very low, leave the spacing as is and let the customers position in the best way possible, leaving right most terminals on a strip for CCS so they could park outboard of the last dispenser, mark the space for left/front sided charge port vehicles.

Maybe GEN2 Lightnings will have the port placed on the left rear quarter panel like so many other EV's

jlferg0509

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Malibu; 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
This wasn't about free charging. It was about convenience and having access to a charge where you didn't have it before.
@GDN, this is definitely not free charging and I don't think my post implied that I was looking for free charging.

In the end, I think the market will determine what is a relevant price per kwh, if you're paying a monthly subscription and looking for convenience and a working platform.
Sponsored