• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who can tell me about the "fans" associated with the Max Tow Package?

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I read somewhere that part of the Max Tow Package are cooling fans. Anyone know more? Where my truck is going, I don't want any moving parts that could get dirt or mud in them. A cooling fan sounds like a rotten idea. Even if one could get under there and clean things up before towing, my people never would.

Anyone know more?
Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
All of the trucks have compressors under the frunk so that the AC works and for cooling. ICE trucks have them too in basically the same spot. The Max Tow seems to add another cooling loop to use refrigerant to take heat away from the batteries and motors more efficiently. Perhaps it has a beefier compressor, I'm not sure. There is no "fan" that you wouldn't normally have on a vehicle.

Last edited:

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
A second compressor in this package its mounted between the frame between the frunk and the cabin. It handles just the cooling for the battery system. There might be another Evap coil but it will be in the same housing as the standard AC Evap coil.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
The Ineos Grenadier has a "wading mode" feature, in addition to the off road mode. In wading mode, it turns off the fans so they don't spray water/mud all over the engine compartment. Not sure where the fans are in the Lightning, or whether the spray would affect any components. Usually fans blow over the radiator. You can see the Lightning's radiator in the video in post #6. They don't show a fan there, but maybe it has been removed.

I just crawled under mine. There is a fan under the radiator.

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I'm trying to think of a truck that doesn't have cooling fans.
Man needs an old land rover diesel. No electrics required and a robust fan/cooling system.

Maybe a deutz air cooled with a snorkel for the blower shroud.

The cooling fan on my viking sxs conked out this year and it's designed for off road.

A little bit of gravel and muddy mist is all I'm doing, I imagine the lightning is not great in mud.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Ok, @holes. I know that every truck has fans.

But I have a wonderful Dodge product in my life that chose to put some "fans" as in air intake under the REAR wheel wells. That was a pretty darn poor choice for dusty environments. Or mud for that matter. But its a minivan, so we can forgive I guess.

Somewhere I read that the max tow package had "extra cooling fans". Just where those are and what that means is unclear.

That was what I was after. And the linked videos talk about "extra cooling capacity". Not where or how.

So thanks, but no thanks. A lot of you do not really drive a truck I think. Or use it as a work vehicle in dirty environments. Now, I am inclined to trust Ford on this one. Like putting some fans to cool the rear drive motors would be stupid.

But can someone tell me there are NO fans over the rear drive motors? Or involved with them in general. Fluid cooling is fine, air is crap.

EDIT: Seems the the video from TaxmanHog is much more useful and thanks. Seems like a lot of moving parts added however.........

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Somewhere I read that the max tow package had "extra cooling fans". Just where those are and what that means is unclear.
Fake news, only exterior fans are those behind the condenser up front!

IF you paid attention to the video it's pretty clear why the aluminium coolant lines run the length of the frame rail, WATCH AGAIN!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
BTW, the makers of that video have another on how the battery pack is constructed and cooled as well as how the motors are constructed and cooled, all glycol systems, then transfer heat from the working units to a chiller unit or in winter a PTC unit for heat (to the battery)

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I can tell you this - in the TX summer with the AC on in a Lariat with Max Tow - the fans (regardless of where they are) are louder than a typical ICE engine. Loudest truck ever out front. Nice and quiet in the cabin however.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Somewhere I read that the max tow package had "extra cooling fans". Just where those are and what that means is unclear. That was what I was after.
Just to be 100% clear:
  • Ford describes the Max Trailer Tow package as "additional cooling hardware on the battery and electric motors" without really specifying what that hardware is.
  • The linked video and other sources show the added components, which are an additional compressor and second coolant loop. These components increase the amount of heat that can be removed from the batteries and motors.
The Max Trailer Tow package does not include extra fans -- it is likely that whomever wrote the article you remember reading was either guessing, was misinformed themselves, or was confused and assumed that a compressor is either a fan itself or requires a fan (neither is true).
Sponsored