• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

240V charger blowing breaker

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
This could also be a bad breaker.

I took a trip with my Model Y to California and back towing a small popup trailer. I stayed a campgrounds and charged the car from the 14-50A outlet at the campsite.

My last stop was at an old run-down campground run by the town of Armour, SD. My 32A Mobile Connector tripped the breaker after five minutes, so I ran it to the empty, adjoining site and it tripped again. I dialed down the charge current to 24A and charged without issue all night long. I don't know how old those breakers and outlets were, but they looked ancient.

My money is on a bad breaker because a fault within the truck's OBC would likely set a code and disable charging.

Ford F-150 Lightning 240V charger blowing breaker D0052582-CDB2-4149-9C4A-64818C51420B_1_105_c
Sponsored

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
If your charger hardwired or on a plug? I know some states have adopted new code that requires a GFCI and those don’t play nice. Mine was fine for 6 months before I had this issue and then it hardwired and removed the GFCI breaker.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
This could also be a bad breaker.
Honestly this seems more likely than the charger being bad (although not a sure thing). I'm having a hard time picturing a failure scenario where the Ford mobile charger is pulling 65+ amps for 5+ minutes and it's not a pool of melted plastic burning in the garage.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I did see where the OP ever IDed which charger he is using? If it’s the Pro Charger he needs to check the AMP settings both dial and software.

I think the idea of it being a weak breaker is good bet.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
weak breakers are common in the RVing campground world, happens all the time, and yet camper owners think that their CAMPER is to blame, or they are asking for too 'much' power...

change out to a new 30amp 120v breaker and everything goes 'back' to normal...

now, though, a weak 50amp 240v breaker is NOT as common... and I would doubt is the root of this OP's problem... but, changing it out won't hurt anything, even if it's not the issue.

I highly suspect that this MIGHT be due to a weak connection AT THE EVSE's plug, within the female OUTLET... meaning that arcing is occurring, due to a loose Neutral, probably within the outlet... which ultimately can cause overheating, transferring back to the breaker, which trips, AS IT SHOULD.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
by the way, the OP's headline "240V charger blowing breaker" is using terms that don't really go with electricity, as nothing is 'blowing', whatever that even means. When a breaker TRIPS, which is EXACTLY it's one and only Job, it is a sign that more than allowed amperage is flowing thru the wires between it and the 'load', in this case an EVSE.
Nothing 'blows', although I realize some who have a fear of electricity tend to use terms that are not accurate for the situation. Or, maybe it's due to some 'old' technology, back in the day, when a glass fuse would be said that way... probably.

A breaker 'trips' due to heat buildup within the wires that are attached to it, and when it trips, it immediately REMOVES all power, and potentially all 'problems' associated with the reason it tripped: either something is asking for more power(amperage) than it is designed to handle, or something, like arcing in a 'load', or an outlet, is creating unintended HEAT. Potentially a fire, yes, but the old adage that "where there's smoke, there's fire" is a wive's tale. Untrue. The melting of wire covering or rubber or plastic coating created by heat can create 'smoke', although it's not an open flame.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
That’s not how it works. The EVSE sends a pilot signal to the charger in the truck to indicate the maximum allowable charge rate. The charger in the truck then sets the rate.
The EVSE has no direct control of the charge rate.
My Emporia charger allows me to adjust the charging rate up to 48A. I frequently charge below 48A because the 49ers lost. Is that not "direct" control? Forgive me if I'm a bit grumpy...

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
He already said it's the Ford provided mobile charging cable. 7.6kw (30 amp). Also, I think you're way over analyzing words. The breaker is tripping. He's not suggesting an explosion with a column of flame is blowing out of the breaker.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
my 240 v breaker is 50 amp and I’m using the Ford charger provided.
He already said it's the Ford provided mobile charging cable. 7.6kw (30 amp).
It is not clear to me which charger is being used as it could be the 80Amp capable unit. I admit it would be unlikely to have been charging successfully and have the Amps allowed setting change.

see this other thread regarding a loose connection at the breaker
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/ford-mobile-power-cord-tripping-50am-breaker-in-cold-weather

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Make sure the connections are all tight at the breaker and plug. If they are then change the breaker.

money is on a bad breaker
Breakers do fail occasionally. Also check that you have the correct wire gauge installed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The F-150 version of the Ford Mobile Charger is 30amps, not 32amps. Bad outlet is my guess.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Calling the electrician is a good move. He can quickly measure the actual current the load is pulling. My guess is the cause is a weak breaker or a loose connection at the breaker. Report back what he finds.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
I have been charging my f150 at home on a 240v charger for 1 year and never a problem.

yesterday I used a DC fast charging station for the 1st time ever.

now when at home my 240 charger is blowing my breaker in 5 min

is there any coincidence that this is now happening after I used DC for 1st time ever?
I would buy an amprobe and measure the current draw to the truck. It should be close to 30 amps about 7600 watts. If it is more, open the main disconnect to the panel and tighten the lugs, they may have become loose. If the breaker is tripping after 5 minutes you either have a breaker going bad, loose connections, defective charge cable/module or an issue with the onboard 11.5kw charger.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Nothing 'blows', although I realize some who have a fear of electricity tend to use terms that are not accurate for the situation. Or, maybe it's due to some 'old' technology, back in the day, when a glass fuse would be said that way... probably.
This is technically true: breakers trip while fuses blow (they melt or fuse, but the common term was blow).

Old habits die hard, so when breakers started becoming more common in homes over fuses, people continued to say "blow" when a breaker would trip.

After all, how many of us say, "dial" when placing a phone call?
Sponsored