• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review)

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
This post is for the new truck owners like me, that may be looking to install a Ford Charge Station Pro and feeling a little bit unsure if that's the right decision. After reading all the threads and horror stories people had with this thing, I was really scared to hook it up.

I installed the FCSP using 3AWG copper wire and 6 solid strand copper for ground. Total run of wire was about 9ft.

I did a conduit install on top of the drywall and utilized a 100A breaker for the circuit.

Using the app to connect the charger to my Wi-Fi was without issue. Worked on the first try. I do have good wifi in my garage as I have an extender out there for the Ring security system.

The first charge after turning it on was strange, it only was going at 1kW and the app showed it was pending a firmware update. I turned off the breaker and double checked all my connections. Flipped the breaker back on and tried again and got 16 kW. Not sure if it was something to do with the pending firmware update, or cycling the breaker that cleared that up.

I left the house for an hour or so and returned, and was surprised the firmware had already updated. I was under that impression that only happens at night or in the early morning.

I take the full cord off the charger each time I use it, and I have had zero faults or charges interrupted due to any kind of overheating so far.

I absolutely love how quick it is. Utilizing the full 80A right now.

Again, just wanted to share my experiences and report how the charger seems to be behaving in 2024. Perhaps some software updates or something has made it better since originally and all the bad overheating issues.

*I have not had a charge session longer than 3hours yet
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The FCSP is a good unit if all you want to do is charge at the max rate. For anybody that wants any type of reliable data, or likes to change charge rate periodically, it's not very good.

With the 2024 trucks going to a single 48 amp onboard charger for the ER battery, and it not being included in the sale, I don't think this unit will be very popular. It's expensive for what it is.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
The FCSP is a good unit if all you want to do is charge at the max rate. For anybody that wants any type of reliable data, or likes to change charge rate periodically, it's not very good.

With the 2024 trucks going to a single 48 amp onboard charger for the ER battery, and it not being included in the sale, I don't think this unit will be very popular. It's expensive for what it is.
This.

I wish they just made an 80A version with a J1772 connector. The Whole Home Backup is bloatware, and the charger does not communicate with any of the utility Demand Management programs across the country. And the new truck don't even have 80A of charging capability.

I feel like a genius for selling mine when I did. Got $800 on ebay and bought an Emporia instead.

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Agree completely with the above comments. It felt like you were wrestling with a DCFC connector every time. Glad I sold and went with a slimmer J1772 connector.

I’ll be really jealous when the 25s or later come out with the NACS and the svelte connector of those chargers.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Flipped the breaker back on and tried again and got 16 kW. Not sure if it was something to do with the pending firmware update, or cycling the breaker that cleared that up.

I left the house for an hour or so and returned, and was surprised the firmware had already updated. I was under that impression that only happens at night or in the early morning.
Could you share what your software version level is? Mine has been stuck at this half baked level for months!

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) 1712149548672-ob

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dinozero

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could you share what your software version level is? Mine has been stuck at this half baked level for months!

1712149548672-ob.png

Hey mine updated the first day to this..

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) 1712154597154-za

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Mine is still sitting in the box. We've got a single 40A Lectron that we share between the EVs. If I have a pressing need to charge quickly, there's a v3 Supercharger less than a mile from my house.

It's rare that we have a need to simultaneously charge both of our EVs. Neither gets plugged in every night. That being said, it would be handy to have them both plugged in when we have cold snaps.

While there's no pressing need, I'll probably have the FCSP mounted/installed if we get around to doing a generator inlet connection.

OP
OP
Dinozero

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just want to add I agree with the comments above several good points made.

The charger is bulky. I considered selling it, but resale values didn't look great.

The one thing I place more value on than most it seems.. is I absolutely value the 80A of charging. A lot.

I'm really shocked to learn the new trucks don't have that.

Most the third parties don't support up to 80A either.

The lightning has a big battery, Silverado EV even larger, and with regular 30A-48A level 2 charging, these vehicles take 6-12hrs to charge what you depleted for the day.

I am one of those folks that bought an EV to drive it and save money, I have a long commute each day. So the ability to quickly add some serious miles back to the truck for a 2nd round of driving for the day is a big plus.

With the 30A mobile charger, I had serious concerns that if I got home late from a sports game or movie (doesn't happen much anymore, married, kids, but I digress) getting home at midnight, and leaving for work early the next day.. my truck wouldn't have enough charge to comfortably get back and forth to work.

Or a weekend where dad spends the first half the day running errands everywhere, and then the 2nd half of the day family wants to go to the big city for a nice dinner etc.

I can put 80-100 miles in just a couple hours at 80A. That's incredible!

OP
OP
Dinozero

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is still sitting in the box. We've got a single 40A Lectron that we share between the EVs. If I have a pressing need to charge quickly, there's a v3 Supercharger less than a mile from my house.

It's rare that we have a need to simultaneously charge both of our EVs. Neither gets plugged in every night. That being said, it would be handy to have them both plugged in when we have cold snaps.

While there's no pressing need, I'll probably have the FCSP mounted/installed if we get around to doing a generator inlet connection.

I did mine with the generator inlet at the same time as well.

Generator inlet works awesome too btw!

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I did mine with the generator inlet at the same time as well.

Generator inlet works awesome too btw!
I’ve seen so many generator inlet ideas my head is still spinning. I’m beyond confused on the easiest or best solution to do with my FCSP upcoming install. It’s at a weekend cabin to I’m weighing the pros and cons of such. Mind sharing what you went with that worked for you? TIA

Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I also wanted the 80amp charging option because I hope to always have a EV Truck of some sort which probably means a large battery. I was able to sell my charge station pro on facebook for $550 and then purchased a 80amp tesla charger on ebay for $500. I already had the 80amp teslatap so I hope I am future proofed somewhat with the switch to NACS coming for everyone soon.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives

Same here two still have two FCSP in the box and I am still using slow Ford mobile charger sharing with 40amp dryer 14-50 plug. I’m trying to learn more on generator inlet ideas and the best easiest options before my FCSP installs are done. I was even wondering if having another 50amp breaker to a 14-50 plug installed below my panel would help me get there easier.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve seen so many generator inlet ideas my head is still spinning. I’m beyond confused on the easiest or best solution to do with my FCSP upcoming install. It’s at a weekend cabin to I’m weighing the pros and cons of such. Mind sharing what you went with that worked for you? TIA
Here’s a link to what I did.

Search the forum for “Generac” for more ideas.

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
I’ve had no issue with mine, but I only installed it because it was free. Resale value of these things seems low today compared to last year.

I wish the cable was less bulky and that it had a standard J1772 instead. I’m on a 50A breaker and don’t intend to use the home backup.

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lariat ER, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Just purchased a 2023 Lariat ER two weeks ago. The Ford Station pro was shipped out and received Friday. Install was today by the same electrician who wired my house and installed my tesla 60amp charger. Rate was $750 here in Texas and FCSP arrived exactly two weeks after purchase in mail for free.

I have a 100A breaker and an 80A circuit.

My 110V outlet standard charger was charging at 1kW. The tesla 60amp was charging it at 10kW. (included in attached 1st pic) This FCSP now doing 16kW. (3rd pic)

Also, I called Sunrun to talk to them about what is needed to use the lightning as a generator. They told me $9,000 for equipment and install---NOPE. Not doing that.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) IMG_5425
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) IMG_5430

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) IMG_5427
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Charge Station Pro (2024 Review) IMG_5431
Sponsored