• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anybody figured out how to backfeed / charge a Lightning via the Pro Power Onboard ports?

JerkyChew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2020 GT350R, 2018 Model 3
I have two Zendure Superbase battery systems. Each system weighs about 500 pounds and has a capacity of 32 kWh. I have to go on a long trip and it would be nice if I could load the bed with these batteries, plug them into the Pro Power plugs via a suicide cable, and charge my truck while I drive. Unfortunately the output of the Zendure currently isn't a high enough amperage to compete with a 1772 charger, so it doesn't make sense to use this as an overnight solution unless it's an emergency.

Has anybody figured out a way to accomplish this, or do something similar?

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anybody figured out how to backfeed / charge a Lightning via the Pro Power Onboard ports? PXL_20230830_185418337
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
PPOB is NOT in input port, only outputting 120/240 volts at 20/30 amps.

Can your system generate 240v split phase with enough current to power FMC (Ford Mobile Charger) which you would plug into the J1772 port?

If not, then at 120v via the FMC.

OP
OP
JerkyChew

JerkyChew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2020 GT350R, 2018 Model 3
PPOB is NOT in input port, only outputting 120/240 volts at 20/30 amps.

Can your system generate 240v split phase with enough current to power FMC (Ford Mobile Charger) which you would plug into the J1772 port??
I actually hadn't thought about that route. I've never done 240v output from my Zendure but some quick lookups show that it'll do 240v NEMA 6-20, 16 amps, max output of 3.8kW. So I guess in theory it could compete with some of the slower 1772 chargers out there. Though that still requires running a cable out of the bed into the charger on the side of the truck, so it's not like I could leave it out overnight for fear of battery theft. Certainly something I can test once I get my FMC back from my buddy :)

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I actually hadn't thought about that route. I've never done 240v output from my Zendure but some quick lookups show that it'll do 240v NEMA 6-20, 16 amps, max output of 3.8kW. So I guess in theory it could compete with some of the slower 1772 chargers out there. Though that still requires running a cable out of the bed into the charger on the side of the truck, so it's not like I could leave it out overnight for fear of battery theft. Certainly something I can test once I get my FMC back from my buddy :)
The FMC will only run at 30A on 240V. You’ll need a 3rd party EVSE with selectable output that you can dial down to 16A.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Also keep in mind that you won't be able to charge from the port while in Drive.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
correct: there is no 'charging' possible WHILE the truck is not in park, other than it's internal regenerative charging from the motors. There is no way to 'plug in' some type of external battery or power source that would work while you are in motion, and the truck itself may not even activate the charge port while in motion, even if you could.

your only option is to carry these huge heavy batteries, and modify one's output to a J1772 plug, to use WHEN PARKED... I think that it's a little overboard and problematic to try this.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Well @JamesKlafehn has figured out how to tap into the Lightning power system with an offboard battery, but he's pretty tight-lipped about how he did it. 😬

What I do know, is he definitely didn't do it by tapping into the charging port. His solution seems to involve a dc to dc battery connection, so for that, you'd need a way to configure your power stations to direct pack connections and to have the same nominal pack voltage as the Lightning pack.

Check out his video here:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Well @JamesKlafehn has figured out how to tap into the Lightning power system with an offboard battery, but he's pretty tight-lipped about how he did it. 😬

What I do know, is he definitely didn't do it by tapping into the charging port. His solution seems to involve a dc to dc battery connection, so for that, you'd need a way to configure your power stations to direct pack connections and to have the same nominal pack voltage as the Lightning pack.

Check out his video here:
Yes, all things that IMHO might compromise the 8y/100k FoMoCO warranty, but in the spirit of science and engineering I applaud his experiment, at some point Ford and the industry will create an OEM system as he has crafted.

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I also wonder if it would be worth it even if you can charge from the batteries. How much range will you lose hauling 1000 lbs of cargo?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
exactly, as the 'weight to miles lost' equation might just reveal that this 'investment' is really more about a comfortable feeling, not the reality of any financially viable outcome.

in the RVing world, which we were a part of for many years, it's an ongoing 'discussion' about "how many solar panels can I get on my roof", in order to be able to keep the battery bank charged and allow for the 'most' Off-grid time without the need for any gas/diesel generator being needed.

You can certainly invest in thousands and thousands of dollars on expensive solar panels and the needed connection equipment to get this to the battery bank, and then make sure you park IN THE SUN the whole time(which requires even MORE air conditioning, etc)... you get the idea.

Some will do it - they have the money and time and resources. Many will 'desire' to have it. And, some of us will realize how 'expensive' that power turns out to be.
Sponsored