• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Man shot and killed at charging station

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
Safety at charging stations, particularly at night and in urban areas, is a serious issue.

Many women have told me they're reluctant to purchase an EV because charging takes a long time and unlike gas stations, you cannot simply drive away if threatened by someone.

Seems like the EV industry and government will need to address safety at charging locations before EVs become widely adopted.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The police have now said that they argument had nothing to do with charging.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Please keep the discussion respectful as facts are facts about laws and societal impacts, they vary across the nation.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Wonder if this will make it onto Wam Bam Tesla Cam

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
There's a new product called the EV Ject that is basically a breakaway charge cable for tesla supercharging. Stop the charge via the screen and it tricks the car into thinking it isn't plugged in at all, and then when you pull away it has a break-away piece that separates. The site says they plan to make one for CCS as well.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I haven't carried up to this point, but charging has convinced me to for road trips at least. I imagine all of us know the feeling of rolling into a sketchy gas station, but with charging you can't drive off and even worse have to get out and unplug. I've been shaken down before gassing up, so I've opted to carry to at least build distance so I can get in my truck and gtfo. Some of these charging stations are in shitty spots, like on the sides of strip malls which at night is mad sketchy.

OP
OP
Skidrowe

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I haven't carried up to this point, but charging has convinced me to for road trips at least. I imagine all of us know the feeling of rolling into a sketchy gas station, but with charging you can't drive off and even worse have to get out and unplug. I've been shaken down before gassing up, so I've opted to carry to at least build distance so I can get in my truck and gtfo. Some of these charging stations are in shitty spots, like on the sides of strip malls which at night is mad sketchy.
Have you ever noticed the people sitting in their car with the door open at the farthest corner of a parking lot late at night? They have quick meetings with people who pull up and then wait for their next meeting. I have and I don't feel like pulling up and striking up a conversation with them. Now consider that those are the exact places where they add new charging stations to the lots. Hopefully as traffic increases at charge stations, those meetings move to another corner of the parking lots.

Emersonsdad

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
We had this happen in Bakersfield, Ca at an EA in a Target parking lot. It’s in a nice part of town. I had read the attacker chose the victim because he figured he had money because he drove an electric car. Pretty sad how his wife found out.

https://www.kget.com/news/crime-wat...e-reports-benny-alcala-robert-roberts-target/
This is what I genuinely fear. Around my neck of the woods, I know where's safe, but not on the road. People know EVs are expensive, there's no security, and you can't easily drive away. I don't tend to let many things worry me, but getting robbed at a charging station does not seem far fetched. This is why I'm looking forward to charging stations being coupled with travel stops like Loves, because at least there is better security. Back of Walmart parking lots doesn't give me confidence, especially after dark.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
You'd rather have it and not need it than need and not have it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
We're starting to drift ..... LOCKED
Sponsored

Status