• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Slow DCFC charging

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
I've been charging a lot on Superchargers lately and after the boost period of around 160 to 170 kW, the charging speed drops to around 94 kW, and hold until close to 80 percent. I thought the steady charge speed used to hold around 120 kW on EA. Does anyone have any info on this?
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I've been charging a lot on Superchargers lately and after the boost period of around 160 to 170 kW, the charging speed drops to around 94 kW, and hold until close to 80 percent. I thought the steady charge speed used to hold around 120 kW on EA. Does anyone have any info on this?
I think it’s a temperature thing unrelated to the charger.

I monitor temps with an OBD scan tool, and I noticed when towing in warmer weather that my battery can stay as high as 85-90º on trips. I get the boost for ten minutes, but the battery is up to 95-97º, and I only see ~100 kW from there. I’ll consistently hold 140 kW in cooler weather when my battery is under 90º F.

Summer is on the way and temperatures are climbing, so I think you’re seeing temp throttling that you don’t see in cooler weather.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I never used an obd scanner but my road trips last summer in triple digit weather I felt like I was for sure seeing lower steady state speeds across multiple charging sessions. Temp gage was almost always on the high side. I don't have max tow and was traveling with my dog so I had to leave the cabin AC going.

OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess it could be the temps. I have max tow, I wonder if speed would improve with A/C off.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I guess it could be the temps. I have max tow, I wonder if speed would improve with A/C off.
Probably not, Lightnings with Max Tow have an AC Compressor dedicated to powertrain thermal management.

Your cabin HVAC running only slightly reduces net energy stored on the traction battery

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Probably not, Lightnings with Max Tow have an AC Compressor dedicated to powertrain thermal management.

Your cabin HVAC running only slightly reduces net energy stored on the traction battery
I thought it was only a separate refrigerant loop. Is there actually a second compressor?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the 'second' compressor is also SOLELY for the Max Tow package cooling, and an extra collant loop, for the Battery only. The 'primary' compressor is then ONLY for air conditioning for the cab.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I thought it was only a separate refrigerant loop. Is there actually a second compressor?
With Max Tow there are two compressors, one solely for cabin a/c, and the other solely for powertrain. There are two coolant (not refrigerant) loops in the powertrain circuit: one for motors/inverters/etc. and the other for just the battery. Both coolant loops go through a single heat exchanger (chiller) that transfers heat from the coolant to the refrigerant.

Without max tow there's one compressor that does it all.

Nuts&volts

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Have a ‘23 XLT SR. I don’t fast charge all that often, really only on long trips. Just about every charger that I use on the road has been peaking at about 150kw (even on 350kw chargers), but the last couple trips I’ve taken the charger peaks out at 100kw. I know I have gotten updates on the truck and the app in the intervening time.
I haven’t had any extreme weather, cold or hot. Has anyone else experienced this? What could be the cause / solution?

Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
What was your SOC when you started and did you precondition? Also, some chargers are balanced. Additional users may decrease rate.

OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been doing a bunch more DCFC today and yesterday. There is no doubt the Superchargers are slower during the steady state charge period. Many different chargers, getting 92 to 94 kW. Using EA and Circle K getting 104 to 110 kW. Only thing I can figure is Tesla NACS w/adapter is getting warm and charger is derating. Not dogging the Superchargers, as reliability and locations are awesome.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I've been doing a bunch more DCFC today and yesterday. There is no doubt the Superchargers are slower during the steady state charge period. Many different chargers, getting 92 to 94 kW. Using EA and Circle K getting 104 to 110 kW. Only thing I can figure is Tesla NACS w/adapter is getting warm and charger is derating. Not dogging the Superchargers, as reliability and locations are awesome.
For what its worth... primarily to satiate my own curiosity I put together a quick (non-scientific) spreadsheet comparing the overall time benefit to Long DCFC sessions with less stops vs Short DCFC (Boost) sessions with more stops. Basically I picked an arbitrary amount of KWH that one might need for a road trip. I used 150 as to me that combined with departing with a full battery pack at departure is a healthy ~ 450 mile road road trip.

With Supercharger access this is now an actual legitimate discussion as you can typically be confident another DCFC will be available not too far down the road.

My conclusion, if my charge rate drops below 120kw I am unplugging. Above that I'll probably stick it out.

Ford F-150 Lightning Slow DCFC charging Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 12.54.34 PM

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Which adapter are you using?

I noted some charging speeds when using Tesla Superchargers on my end of March / beginning of April trip.

25% SOC- 164.52kW
63% SOC - 128.4kW
33.5% SOC - 164.92kW
42% SOC - 167.65kW
57% SOC - 131.75kW at EA, not Tesla
38% SOC - 163.58kW
61%SOC - 150.95kW
65% SOC - 132.96kW
52% SOC - 176.48kW, climbed to 178.33
71.5% SOC - 116.54kW

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Have you tried the Tesla wet rag trick?
https://insideevs.com/news/718718/tesla-supercharger-wet-towel-improve-charging-speed/
Sponsored