• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Notice From Ford: Battery Replacement Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
So you've been through this already?
First, congratulations on the new baby!

I went through the battery module replacement, not because of a letter, but because of power train malfunction/reduced power and HVBP failure (21 of us so far). powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power-poll.14094 I took delivery June 30th (May 2nd build week). So I wanted to understand everything I could about the battery and the Munro video came out at a perfect time.
Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I feel you. I have lost some confidence as well and still don't have the truck back. I do 220 mile trips to the mountains quite often and need a truck for that trip. Hope Ford figured out something and we will all be OK.
I've had my truck back almost 2 weeks now. Full charge, run down to 20%, DCFC, home charge, some L2 charging, towing, off-road... slowly getting confidence back. Did accidentally knock truck into neutral trying to back up a trailer. That made my heart stop, thought oh no not again :oops:. So far everything is good and happy with the truck again.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
First, congratulations on the new baby!

I went through the battery module replacement, not because of a letter, but because of power train malfunction/reduced power and HVBP failure (21 of us so far). powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power-poll.14094 I took delivery June 30th (May 2nd build week). So I wanted to understand everything I could about the battery and the Munro video came out at a perfect time.
Is that different from what the letter is intending to avoid proactively?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Is that different from what the letter is intending to avoid proactively?
I donā€™t know the answer to that. 21 people have reported issues and I know a couple of those (including mine) have been battery module replacements. Not sure if the 7 documented repairs have all included a module replacement. Iā€™m curious if Ford has discovered a bad batch of modules and is sending targeted letters versus a recall or just what is happening. Having been stranded I would rather plan for the repair than the surprise repair.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Are these all fro ER batteries so far? Any SR included?

Sponsored
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I donā€™t know the answer to that. 21 people have reported issues and I know a couple of those (including mine) have been battery module replacements. Not sure if the 7 documented repairs have all included a module replacement. Iā€™m curious if Ford has discovered a bad batch of modules and is sending targeted letters versus a recall or just what is happening. Having been stranded I would rather plan for the repair than the surprise repair.
roger that. Not that the rep on the phone described the potential issue with great clarity, but what I heard does tend to square with what you report. And the letter has modules being replaced, as it seems was your fix.

so it certainly seems possible if not likely that those of you with the slowing and/or bricking incidents repaired by module replacements have been Fordā€™s canary in the coal mine, resulting in a targeted range of otherā€™s with certain VIN numbers receiving the letters/calls for a preemptive fix. Those VINs appear to cover a broad range of build dates, and both ER and SR.

that said, just because the VINs cover a broad range of build dates it doesnā€™t necessarily entail that every vehicle built within that build date window is effected. They could be instead tracking certain batches of modules that were distributed in various clumps of VINs.

regarding the long wait times for the repairs to complete, and someoneā€™s mention above RE an engineer being sent to their dealership, I wonder if these replacements are being performed by a dealershipā€™s regular service staff at all.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
roger that. Not that the rep on the phone described the potential issue with great clarity, but what I heard does tend to square with what you report. And the letter has modules being replaced, as it seems was your fix.

so it certainly seems possible if not likely that those of you with the slowing and/or bricking incidents repaired by module replacements have been Fordā€™s canary in the coal mine, resulting in a targeted range of otherā€™s with certain VIN numbers receiving the letters/calls for a preemptive fix. Those VINs appear to cover a broad range of build dates, and both ER and SR.

that said, just because the VINs cover a broad range of build dates it doesnā€™t necessarily entail that every vehicle built within that build date window is effected. They could be instead tracking certain batches of modules that were distributed in various clumps of VINs.

regarding the long wait times for the repairs to complete, and someoneā€™s mention above RE an engineer being sent to their dealership, I wonder if these replacements are being performed by a dealershipā€™s regular service staff at all.
My dealership did the repair with the mechanic I've been using for years. The repair itself was 2 days (there's a lot of bolts šŸ˜) and a day for battery balancing. The frustrating part was the ~30 day wait for parts. So if you can drive the truck while waiting for parts all the better.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
They could be instead tracking certain batches of modules that were distributed in various clumps of VINs.
Likely serialized subcomponents within the packs that were inventoried by the pack assembly plant.

gsquirrel02

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Pathfinder
@cvalue13 I also received an email the same as yours from Ms. Clay on Feb. 4. She's called my house before sending the email, and has scheduled the appointment with my dealer. Sad to hear about it, but glad it's not just me. I haven't been having any problems, but I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully won't need a loaner vehicle for long.

Sponsored

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, P*2, XC90, 1964.5 Mustang,
5/30 build week and just dropped mine off. Was told could be 4 weeks. Hoping I can at least get a new/better loaner as the 66k mile Nissan Frontier I got from Enterprise isnā€™t quite like the $90k Lightning with massaging seats and all the bells and whistles.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
5/30 build week and just dropped mine off. Was told could be 4 weeks. Hoping I can at least get a new/better loaner as the 66k mile Nissan Frontier I got from Enterprise isnā€™t quite like the $90k Lightning with massaging seats and all the bells and whistles.
Is your truck dead or they just want to hold it for 4 weeks while waiting for parts? Wondering if I should ask the dealer I just bought from if it's affected by this. I haven't had it shipped yet, still trying to find a transport that isn't charging an arm and a leg.

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, P*2, XC90, 1964.5 Mustang,
Neither from what i can tell. Truck has been rock solid. Sounds like itā€™s an involved and potentially time consuming process, so not related to waiting for the parts.

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Wow, if mine is 4 weeks I will probably push it off until July when I'm on vacation, they told me 1-3 days. We will see...

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
For those that post a date - please give us build date. Delivery date truly is kind of useless as some trucks deliver a week after build some 4 months after build.

Also would be interesting to know the danger or possibility of further damage by driving or using the truck while waiting on parts. 4 weeks is a long time to have it just sitting on a dealer lot, but we are finding almost all dealers are backed up and they can't plan service to save their life. So they want you to drop it weeks in advance even when they know they aren't going to touch it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.