• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Fun fact:

On day 31, there were no updates regarding the part's estimated time of arrival or any other information. I decided to take matters into my own hands and reached out to one of Ford's executives (I work for a company that does some stuff for Ford and I am lucky to have that option). To my surprise, he responded within an hour and promised to take action.

Two days later (on day 33), the dealership got the part (!) and my truck and was ready for pick up (!). I'm not sure if there's a direct correlation between my message and the speedy resolution, or if it was just a coincidence.
A huge majority about getting things done in life is all about who you know.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Ford sent a bad module for me the first time, they had to send a replacement. Ford cant get its own battery factory up and working fast enough. They for sure have some QC issues with their supplier.
Just what makes you think Ford knows any more about batteries than the companies they've partnered with and buy from today? Looking at the leaders - Panasonic and Tesla they still prove it isn't easy with as many as they've made. Ford may have a partner with their new plant but I have no faith whatsoever they can do it better than it is now. This is still a hobby for Ford and they are just afraid of being left behind. Farley notes it repeatedly when he talks about their work force and how it isn't aligned, but yet doesn't take action to cut the hand off and fix it.

Adrian818

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lightning
Has the issue been fixed? It just happened to me today. Lost power and got the power train malfunction.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has the issue been fixed? It just happened to me today. Lost power and got the power train malfunction.
Hi there. Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and dealer info, and I’ll look into this powertrain concern for you. Thanks!

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
C5B81EC5-B819-467C-881B-328AB752A403.jpeg

Got this fault today.
I don't want to be the official greeter for the club, but unfortunately your in good company. Poll has 33 of us. Did the vehicle continue to operate after power cycle?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I don't want to be the official greeter for the club, but unfortunately your in good company. Poll has 33 of us. Did the vehicle continue to operate after power cycle?
Turned the truck on and it wouldn’t give power in D or R, then the error popped up. Restarted and it worked. Drove around for 30-40 miles today. Does that mean it was a false alarm?

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Turned the truck on and it wouldn’t give power in D or R, then the error popped up. Restarted and it worked. Drove around for 30-40 miles today. Does that mean it was a false alarm?
Could be a loose 12v battery connection. See the thread?

dippinMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
I haven’t gotten any error messages in my fordpass app but I have had a reduced power indication a few times now. 1st time it was 81%, (2 months ago) then a couple days ago I got in the truck and the available power was 94%. then this morning on my way home from work I noticed it was at 91% available power. i’ll check my 12V connection tomorrow, any other advice?
one thing I noticed is that the 1st time it happened it was 70°F out and when I got in the truck and turned it on, I got a message that said something like “battery temperature high, power reduced” and the two meters on the top were red, i restarted the truck two times but it was still red and had reduced power, then this slowly went away and turned green (blue) after driving it home a few miles.
the last couple times I did not have red gauges or a message about reduced power.
(truck is updated to date)
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 86D09C6D-8F02-4253-AB89-86C12985D24E

couple days ago

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power D207C1DB-86F0-4490-87A1-60BC2E178824

this morning

j150

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat Extended Range.
One more for the records.
Not dead in the water, yet.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power Lightning_issu

Last edited:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I haven’t gotten any error messages in my fordpass app but I have had a reduced power indication a few times now. 1st time it was 81%, (2 months ago) then a couple days ago I got in the truck and the available power was 94%. then this morning on my way home from work I noticed it was at 91% available power. i’ll check my 12V connection tomorrow, any other advice?
one thing I noticed is that the 1st time it happened it was 70°F out and when I got in the truck and turned it on, I got a message that said something like “battery temperature high, power reduced” and the two meters on the top were red, i restarted the truck two times but it was still red and had reduced power, then this slowly went away and turned green (blue) after driving it home a few miles.
the last couple times I did not have red gauges or a message about reduced power.
(truck is updated to date)
86D09C6D-8F02-4253-AB89-86C12985D24E.jpeg

couple days ago

D207C1DB-86F0-4490-87A1-60BC2E178824.jpeg

this morning
Have you had 100% available power when the SOC is under 50% and mild temps 55-65°

It's common for me to have lower power available in our cold winter climate and less than 50% SOC

Robo165

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 lightning 2022
Occupation
Retired
OKAY!! Got my truck back. You count the days. Towed 12-27-2022. Repaired and picked up 03-10-2023. Yes, almost three full months.
Hopefully your dealership will have a skilled/trained tech and the tools and a large single bay to repair your truck much faster than mine was. They made every excuse in the book. I do believe that my complaint early on to Ford Customer Relations did speed up my repair of you call it that. It ended up being a single bad cell in module two of my battery pack at 11,500 miles. The Ford rep expedited my parts. I was originally told it was going to be two month for parts alone. Good luck if you get that error message and if your truck is still drivable DO NOT DRIVE IT OTHER THAN STRAIGHT TO A DEALER.

spicedparrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
So...Lightning just stopped working this weekend. No warnings, just suddenly brought up the "stop safely now" message and wouldn't move. Had it towed to the dealer.

What is interesting to me is that before the dealer could do a diagnostic Ford already knew the vehicle was at the dealer and called them FIRST. They told the dealer parts were already on the way.

Unfortunately, they are going to replace THE ENTIRE BATTERY...and it means 3-4 weeks without the truck.

Not exactly the kind of reliability you expect from a major manufacturer - its not like this was some startup company vehicle. Even Tesla, with all their known issues last longer than this.

I suppose I'm sharing so that if any of you are getting error messages or receive pro-active emails from Ford take the vehicle to the dealer ASAP. You don't want to be suddenly stranded in a bad situation.

Don't know if there are any class action attorneys watching these boards but if you need a named plaintiff for to file a class action send me a PM!

Beezelbubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
150-Lightning XLT SR
Battery module, your truck has 9 modules in the assembly and one of them is bad. 3-4 weeks wait on the module. My truck just shit the bed again and needs ANOTHER ONE.

Beezelbubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
150-Lightning XLT SR
Just had this happen for the second time, had a module replaced back in January. (the original replacement sent in December was BAD). I am done with Ford
Sponsored