• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buyer Beware - Ford Does Not Stand by its Products or Customers

CyberIllusion

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I wanted to warn about the potential downfall of purchasing a vehicle from Ford Motor Company because you could end up stuck with a very expensive brick and/or put into a precarious financial situation through no fault of your own.

As a father of two special needs children, I have to travel back and forth across two counties multiple times a day for medical/educational services. Last year I purchased an $80,000 F-150 Lightning electric truck to replace our main vehicle with the hope of saving gas and helping the environment as I racked up the miles.

On 12/30/23 with only 25,500 miles on the dash, the truck failed with a bad battery module, refusing to charge past 50% with limited acceleration. I dropped the truck off on 01/03/24 at Chestatee Ford in Dahlonega GA. On 01/26/2024 I was told that the dealership halted repairs on my truck because they needed to order more specialty EV tools. I don’t fault the dealership for this issue, since its Ford’s responsibility to ensure they have the tools and parts needed to service EVs.

In addition to this Ford:
  • Wouldn’t explain why the battery module failed at only 25,500 miles.
  • Wouldn’t tell me if the other battery modules were also defective.
  • Wouldn’t tell me how much longer it would take to fix or if it could be fixed at all.
  • Wouldn’t offer me a loaner. Instead recommending that I come out of pocket for a rental.
I lost all confidence in the vehicle given its premature battery failure after less than a year and didn’t want to risk my family being stranded by this truck in the future. My kids require certain medications multiple times a day and I can't put them at risk because of failed transportation. I put in a BuyBack request to Ford 15 days after the truck was placed in the shop. Unfortunately Ford denied it, stating that my mileage was over the 24,000 cutoff for Georgia lemon law.

So now I’m essentially stuck paying for an $80,000 truck I can’t drive with no idea on when or if it will be fixed. This is also affecting the ability to provide my kids with the services they need.

The only thing I did wrong was believe in Ford and now its costing me dearly. I stood by them as a company and gave them my hard-earned money to fulfill the dream of owning an EV truck. I put my reservation in the exact day it was open (05/19/2021) and worked a temporary second job to save enough for the down payment. I spent countless long nights working and waiting for a chance to make this dream come true. I never thought I would feel so defeated and cheated watching this dream get torched by the very company I thought would stand up for me. This truck is obviously a lemon whether at 24,000 or 25,500 miles and Ford knows it. I just wish they would stop being cowards and commit to their customers just as their website claims:

Ford F-150 Lightning Buyer Beware - Ford Does Not Stand by its Products or Customers 1706734575357

But in reality it feels like they’re not committed to me, but rather to their bottom-line, profits and shareholders. Henry Ford once said “A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business..” and the modern Ford corporation is proving him correct.

A decent company tends to do right by their customers and places their needs first; not just when its convenient, profitable or looks good for marketing / social media (like You Mode). A good company will do right behind closed doors, even when it’s not pleasant or costs them money. Companies like this care about the quality of the customer experience. Again, as Henry Ford said: “Quality means doing it right when no one is looking”.

I’m now burdened with having to make some tough financial decisions with negative long-lasting impacts, simply because I bought from the wrong manufacturer.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
There is an entire thread devoted to your issue. Some have ended well some have taken months to resolve. In all cases I’ve read so far, Ford has stepped up when required and bought the vehicle back or the buyer has gone thru their states lemon laws and received compensation for the vehicle.

I would suggest you may want to contact the Ford BEV team and start the ball rolling on a buy back, if you are in a pinch.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Many of us had the battery module issue, it's not uncommon. And depending on the dealer it takes a day or a couple of months. Mine took one day as I made sure to take it to a dealer that has experience working on EV's (not the dealer I bought it from). Ford was great and made the appointment for me and shipped the replacement module in time for the appointment.

Maybe try a different dealer that has experience replacing the battery module?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Many of us had the battery module issue, it's not uncommon. And depending on the dealer it takes a day or a couple of months. Mine took one day as I made sure to take it to a dealer that has experience working on EV's (not the dealer I bought it from). Ford was great and made the appointment for me and shipped the replacement module in time for the appointment.

Maybe try a different dealer that has experience replacing the battery module?
Have you ever seen an invoice that give us an idea how much it would cost after warranty to replace a module?

Edit: Not a rhetorical question. Really curious.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Dealerships are responsible for staffing qualified technicians and providing the necessary tools to perform full BEV services.

If they don't have the tool, maybe they should borrow/rent it from a nearby dealer.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Your anger is justified, but I think it's misplaced. As much as they love to fly the Ford badge, dealers are independent from the manufacturer. Their service centers are no different than your local mechanic except maybe they have a bit more contact with the manufacturer.

>I was told that the dealership halted repairs on my truck because they needed to order more specialty EV tools. I don’t fault the dealership for this issue, since its Ford’s responsibility to ensure they have the tools and parts needed to service EVs.

This dealer did not properly prepare themselves before accepting an EV to work on. They should have already had the tools and training in place before a service manager should have been willing to take your truck in. If they didn't they should have referred you to a dealer that does.

Other things you're blaming Ford for aren't really applicable either:
>Wouldn’t explain why the battery module failed at only 25,500 miles.
How would they know until the module is replaces and they are able to destructively investigate
>Wouldn’t tell me if the other battery modules were also defective.
How could they know this if they haven't thrown any error codes yet?
>Wouldn’t tell me how much longer it would take to fix or if it could be fixed at all.
This is again the dealer, not Ford
>Wouldn’t offer me a loaner. Instead recommending that I come out of pocket for a rental.
Another dealer responsibility. Unless it's stipulated in your warranty that you have rental car coverage, then that's usually on you and you submit for reimbursement. The only success I've ever had in getting a loaner car is by virtue of giving the dealer terrible reviews on Google and having their customer relations person get involved. Your dealer too small to have someone in that position? You're probably out of luck there.

This one though:
>Unfortunately Ford denied it, stating that my mileage was over the 24,000 cutoff for Georgia lemon law.
That's 100% something Ford can and arguably should do as a means of customer satisfaction. But maybe you should also be mad at your state Government for not requiring better consumer protection.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset. You should be mad as hell. But you should not be giving the dealer any passes here. Don't buy their propaganda that none of it is their fault when almost all of it is. They want to hide under the Ford emblem when it suits them and throw it away as soon as it doesn't. Don't cut them any slack that you wouldn't cut a local mechanic shop that claims to service EVs. Post reviews on Google and Yelp and call them out for taking in a car they aren't trained to work on and refusing a loaner.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I'm so sorry, that really sucks. There is a recent software update that changes the way that the truck deals with a bad cell, but that won't help if they have already taken the truck apart. There is no way that they should have started the job without the correct tools. The only comfort I can offer is that it seems from the forums that it is unlikely to have multiple battery failures so once they finally get around to fixing it the truck should be fine.

Like others said, you have to contact Ford directly.

I took my E-Golf in for its first service at my local VW dealer and mentioned that the screen sometimes went dark during reversing -- a known VW/Audi issue that had a software fix. The job was supposed to take a few hours....

More than a month later I got the car back, the mechanic apparently decided to remove the screen and things went way downhill from there. It worked out in the end but was incredibly frustrating. The whole auto repair industry seems to be in crisis, not just EVs. I have a '93 Lexus ES-300 that mechanics refuse to work on because it doesn't have a computer that tells them what to do.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
They are supposed to give you a loaner for up to 15 days and beyond if approved. Refer them to CSP23B57. Your best bet is still to contact the BEV team but you should read the complete thread on that CSP and download the documents for reference. Here is the section on loaners.

Ford F-150 Lightning Buyer Beware - Ford Does Not Stand by its Products or Customers IMG_0341

Sponsored

ccullins

First Name
Coby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I feel your pain. Mine is only one month since purchase and less than 1300 miles. Its been torn apart at the service department for 15 days of that one month. Issues include parking sensor, interior lighting and navigation glitches. I spent $72,000 for it to not work properly from the beginning and to now sit in their service department as they have no clue how to fix it. Very disappointed in FORD and my service department.

After 15 days of no resolution, I escalated to FORD, butI am not optimistic that anything will get done anytime soon.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Your small town dealer is to blame.

Surprising they wouldn't have "tooling" needed as there isn't that much required.

You also have a vehicle that's being repaired under warranty, they aren't abandoning you.

I don't understand what kind of white glove service people are expecting from buying a car but it hasn't changed in forever and you paid more for the drivetrain, not special service, buy a Lincoln next time.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
I’d put a lot more of the blame on the dealer. They are the ones you are working with and you are their customer. Ford does not sell directly to you or provide you service. The dealer is the one who can work with ford if they want to to make this work for you. Dealers also have a motive right now to make EVs look bad, as does the service team.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Plarinum
Under Georgia Lemon Law, "The Lemon Law rights period is the period ending two years from the date you took delivery of the vehicle or after the first 24,000 miles of your use — whichever occurs first."

Ford must follow the lemon law for the State of Georgia and it's highly unlikely they will deviate from it. They will however repair the issue.

The vehicle must have been purchased "New". You do have 12 months after the expiration of the Lemon Law rights period to file an application with the Georgia State-operated Arbitration Process. If you can show the battery had issues before the 24000 mile expiration and you have meticulous records to document all prior issues/repairs, you might likely win an arbitration appeal.

It is extremely important to document first occurrence of issues and file in a timely manner.

You should register your complaint with the state of Georgia if you have not done so.

https://consumer.georgia.gov/resolve-your-dispute/georgia-lemon-law

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
@CyberIllusion, your anger is misplaced. Your dealership, no one else, is at fault for not having the proper equipment, which they should have purchased back in 2021. They've had basically 3 years. They failed you.

I will say that given your situation, you might have done a bit more research before buying a vehicle that was so critical to your daily needs. You bought a brand new vehicle with new technology. In your shoes, I would have ensured that my dealership promised an immediate loaner vehicle for all service, which you could have negotiated, based on your situation. Or, purchased an extended warranty with first day rental coverage.

It is pretty standard for Ford to agree to reimburse for a rental vehicle, limited to a daily dollar amount. If you can't float that, that's unfortunate, but your warranty doesn't even provide a rental vehicle.
Sponsored