• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
And then we are all surprised why there are no american jobs. Everyone thinks only about themselves.
Cold real fact.
Sponsored

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
You can’t be serious. Ford has pared down its portfolio so much that the only thing they sell are bangers, except the Ranger maybe. Most people don’t “want to do Tesla” makes no sense when most people can’t afford a Tesla. Ford has options at almost every price point and is one of the best candidates for a direct to consumer model.
Bangers? I'm going to assume that means hits / a good thing... but they sell a lot more than hits.

Yes, Ford's latest product releases have certainly excited people, likely to a much greater extent than GM/Chrysler/Ford/Toyota/Honda.... but Ford is A LOT MORE than Broncos, Mustangs & F150s.

There is an entire "E Range" of SUVs ranging from that horrible little Ecosport thing, Escape, Edge, Explorer, and Expedition. None of them would be classified as an "enthusiast vehicle". Then you get into the trucks -- Maverick, Ranger, and of course F150. For every "enthusiast" truck they sell, they probably sell 10 to people who really don't give a ####.

The direct to consumer thing may one day be the way we all buy new cars, but it's not today. Ford would be remiss to ignore the fact for many people, purchasing a car is the second largest financial decision that many people make -- and if you're buying an Ecosport, Maverick, or Escape, likely the biggest financial decision they've ever made. For some customers, you may need a "sales guy" on the other end to push that deal over the line, and if Ford isn't setup to do that, then Toyota, GM and Honda certainly will.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Bangers? I'm going to assume that means hits / a good thing... but they sell a lot more than hits.

Yes, Ford's latest product releases have certainly excited people, likely to a much greater extent than GM/Chrysler/Ford/Toyota/Honda.... but Ford is A LOT MORE than Broncos, Mustangs & F150s.

There is an entire "E Range" of SUVs ranging from that horrible little Ecosport thing, Escape, Edge, Explorer, and Expedition. None of them would be classified as an "enthusiast vehicle". Then you get into the trucks -- Maverick, Ranger, and of course F150. For every "enthusiast" truck they sell, they probably sell 10 to people who really don't give a ####.

The direct to consumer thing may one day be the way we all buy new cars, but it's not today. Ford would be remiss to ignore the fact for many people, purchasing a car is the second largest financial decision that many people make -- and if you're buying an Ecosport, Maverick, or Escape, likely the biggest financial decision they've ever made. For some customers, you may need a "sales guy" on the other end to push that deal over the line, and if Ford isn't setup to do that, then Toyota, GM and Honda certainly will.
I assure you this won’t be a “Ford thing” but an industry thing. What makes you think the others won’t follow suit? I’d be shocked if they didn’t. Moving to this process is long overdue.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
I assure you this won’t be a “Ford thing” but an industry thing. What makes you think the others won’t follow suit? I’d be shocked if they didn’t. Moving to this process is long overdue.
They might, might not... everyone is going to act in whatever way they think makes them the most money. It might be the "direct to consumer model". They might find that customers, as much as they hate dealerships, need that final "push" in the form of a pushy salesman to buy non-enthusiast vehicles.

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Once in my life did I feel like I got a good deal. It’s a sickening process that dilutes any brand. And many people, myself included, went to look at more than just Ford for their purchase. Has the dealers not screwed it up I’d probably be in a Silverado now. There was an LTZ I wanted, it was marked up $7k and had stupid add one like a $2500 exhaust system and $700 under seat storage. Then I noticed it had 4K miles was told it was a demo but still had full warranty and was new. No it wasn’t. And you wanted $10k over MSRP.

I am a Ford guy, have had several but every now and again I get a bow tie and would have. I don’t regret the F-150 but I got an XLT because of inventory this was the cheapest crew cab 4x4 on the lot MSRP was $61k. The LTZ is closer to a lariat trim and Ido wish Ihad that one but just couldn’t swing another $10k (cheapest lariat with 4x4 and crew cab was $72k MSRP). They were knocking off from $0 to $3k on these trucks. Some had aftermarket stuff some didn’t. Mine had a $200 raised black lettering kit.

Anyway back to topic. I am not in the buy sight unseen. I want a local dealer to visit and look at the new cars. Sometimes I buy unexpectedly. I want a local dealer for service. I would prefer to go to a fixed pricing model even still. It I don’t want the Tesla model. I’ve not owned one but the only thing I’ve heard good is they are fast. I do like fast. But it’s out of my league for one of the fast ones. I’ve heard fit and finish isn’t on par with similarity priced vehicles. I do like Musk and what is he doing in general but I think it’s more fanboy stuff where enthusiast are willing to put up with some crap for some of the specific advantages. I’m an enthusiast, but not that much. I don’t want to compromise these days. My days of big cam cars no AC in Florida heat are gone. Back in the day I wanted fast and dealt with a quirky car. These days no. I’m an enthusiast of good looking, functional and reliable cars. Hope this truck lives up to that.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
It sounds like they are talking about creating/certifying these model E dealers in about 2 months from now which is pretty fast. That will take us to mid May. They could conceivably start doing Model e business(ordering) in June for MY2023. It will be interesting to see which dealers bow-out or get kicked out of the EV business. I wonder if Ford is going to be trying to scale the number of Model E dealers to a similar footprint as Tesla to get get a better economy of scale and squeeze some old dealers out. We have 1 Tesla Dealership in St Louis and about a dozen Ford dealerships. With no price negotiating it's not like I need to play one dealer vs another so my main concern as a customer becomes servicing after the fact.

With that, I'm wondering if only about 3 or 4 of the dozen local dealers will get to be model E. If Ford is looking for efficiency then they're going to limit it. Then they don't have to make as many mannequins, don't have to have as complicated allocation breakdown. It would just be easier for them to manage on the whole. Then by 2040 when they no longer make ICE the non-model E dealers would cease to exist. I just hope the Model E dealer ends up being one closer to me so I dont have to drive out of the way for service.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
That’s good for people that can decisions. Only 10-15% of people are like that. Most people will drive 25 cars and still don’t know what they want. Comes from a salesperson.
Not trying to dispute your first hand experience, but I read (somewhere on the internet, um..) that in 2020 already 30% of car purchases were done online. Probably kinda like online banking or bill pay: people are hesitant at first, but once they try it they will not go back to the dealer. That percentage, accurate or not, will only grow.

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport, F-150 Lightning on Order
Not trying to dispute your first hand experience, but I read (somewhere on the internet, um..) that in 2020 already 30% of car purchases were done online. Probably kinda like online banking or bill pay: people are hesitant at first, but once they try it they will not go back to the dealer. That percentage, accurate or not, will only grow.
Partially true. People clicking buttons on our website doesn’t actually mean they are buying. They come to our store and 50% buying something else, because they didn’t budget right, model was sold, it’s at another location (that’s the weird one, I will go get the car but they rather buy in-stock) etc. that’s why right now with lack of inventory our customer are loosing their mind. They want to see/drive off the model they want. They don’t want to wait and won’t order. I had one guy that looked at Black Platinum F-150 with ecoboost but wanted to see one with V-8 like they look any different. 3 weeks I worked with him, he drove about 20 hours total out of town to look at cars.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I contacted the 6 closest Ford dealers asking about selling the F150L at MSRP, as a way to test my hypothesis that Ford dealers don't give a rat's behind about Farley and his plans for fixed pricing (unless of course the dealers get to fix the price). All but 1 is currently charging ADM and will charge ADM on MY 2023 F150L, and the dealer that said they would sell at MSRP has yet to put that in writing. It will be interesting to see how Farley intends to bring these dealers over to this kinder, gentler no haggle sales model. I think the dealers are united and Farley is pissing in the wind. We will hear from Farley in 2 months give or take a few months, I guess.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
What's to stop the manufacturers from selling direct in countries other than USA? I don't understand why we still have dealers in Canada. Mercedes Benz sells direct here and has traditional dealers.

Sponsored

Poolman02

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Limited
My dealer called me today to ask if I wanted to place my order. I said what! I did this the same day I got the wave 3 invite online. I called them 3 times when I did this to see if there was anything else they needed with no response. I thought I was all set as it said in progress on my Ford account. He now tells me he is just able to order now and looking for a additional 500. Adm fee is not set but 5k to 10k he said. I would think they are doing ok at MSRP of a 95k truck. After buying 3 trucks there no loyalty to there customers. Wish I would have know this I would have changed dealers before I ordered. They will lose my business and I will make this transaction as loud and difficult for them as I can. First Ford Fall River Ma 5k to 10k screw customer fee

Begeorgy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport, F-150 Lightning on Order
My dealer called me today to ask if I wanted to place my order. I said what! I did this the same day I got the wave 3 invite online. I called them 3 times when I did this to see if there was anything else they needed with no response. I thought I was all set as it said in progress on my Ford account. He now tells me he is just able to order now and looking for a additional 500. Adm fee is not set but 5k to 10k he said. I would think they are doing ok at MSRP of a 95k truck. After buying 3 trucks there no loyalty to there customers. Wish I would have know this I would have changed dealers before I ordered. They will lose my business and I will make this transaction as loud and difficult for them as I can. First Ford Fall River Ma 5k to 10k screw customer fee
Request to move your order to another dealer. You won’t lose your order

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Very interesting how MSRP existed for many many years and no one ever paid it. And now so many people defend MSRP when prices are above.
It is funny that you think you get better deal with a middle man.

But it is OK to have dealerships, I am perfectly fine with them, just don't force us to buy from them ONLY.

Give us the freedom to buy from car makers directly, and don't even try to prevent OTA, I don't need this kind of f*king BS.

Poolman02

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Limited
Request to move your order to another dealer. You won’t lose your order
From all I have seen here it is to late to move after you placed your order online. You are at their whim. I understand they should and need to make a profit but don't gouge your customers we won't and don't forget.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Damn that sucks!!

Sounds like they ~Accepted~ your order but never uploaded the ROVP/COVP approval documents {Signed WBDO order sheet and copy of your D/L}!!!!!!

Tell them to reject your order and have it moved to Balise Ford Hyannis
Sponsored